Joe Mixon

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

Do you think the punishment by the state and/or the university was too light?

I saw the video for first time today. Then I read comment after comment on the ESPN comment board about people condemning this kid to hell. It really made me wonder if forgiveness is gone? Does redemption exist?

I watched video again.

I come to the conclusion the penalty may have even been too harsh but was at least reasonable. Sit out a year. 100 hours community service. I'm shocked that she doesn't he charged too. She assaulted him first.

I do believe he made a mistake. He did deserve to punished but I can not take away a mans life for his poor reaction to being slapped. I know gender plays a major role here. She gets the benefit of a double standard and avoids criminal prosecution. She may even get paid when this kid goes pro. Goes to show if your a women you should slap pro athletes.

I might even say the state was too light. A few weeks of lock up to cool down and find his mind may have been warranted but the school I think handled the situation accordingly suspended him a full year.

• Forum MVP

By the way the other prevailing message is he was just defending himself. Debate ensues whether one can defend himself against a woman.

Look that wasn't self defense. Her assault in no way eliminate the ability to walk away to remove oneself. He was not forced to retaliate.

The debate will always exist I guess but look woman attacks me with a knife. I'm gonna try to remove it. Woman corners me in a room and unleashes a fury of punches. I'm gonna try to stop it. My methods may hurt her. They may look like offensive moves.

Chick slaps me. I'm gonna walk away.

• Forum MVP

I can't tell if it was open palm or fist. It had a lot of force obviously but I'm wondering if after contact the follow through was more a shove or if she went out cold. In domestic violence cases they both go to jail for simple assault. Being a high profile athlete though, his actions are under a microscope and he's gotta understand he can never touch anyone. If he's NFL he's cutting a 100k check.

• Forum MVP

Tea I would say the guy acted cowardly. I will not label a 19 year old anything for a split second reaction. If he has a history of violence against women I agree with you but if a one time thing, it's cowardly act but should not define this mans character forever.

• Forum MVP

I can't tell if it was open palm or fist. It had a lot of force obviously but I'm wondering if after contact the follow through was more a shove or if she went out cold. In domestic violence cases they both go to jail for simple assault. Being a high profile athlete though, his actions are under a microscope and he's gotta understand he can never touch anyone. If he's NFL he's cutting a 100k check.

Maybe in clear cut cases were both committed assault they both go to jail. From my experience, the male gets charged far more often. A man will spend a night in holding simply if she says he hit me in most states without any evidence she has been struck.

• Forum MVP

The laws have changed a lot. If both lay hands they both go to jail now. If no 1-sided damage or no visible damage and both claim the other hit them they arrest them both. Arrests = money so there's incentive to lock em all up. I think we are avoit to take a backwards step in justice reform unfortunately as most of the talk is on crackdowns instead of leniency. If we didn't run the world, we'd have human rights violations levied on us for our prison system. Don't want to get gang raped then don't smoke weed seems to be the view of many unfortunately. The fact that we jail more people than any country on earth gives us little right to condemn china for their political prisoners considering we jail at around 8x the rate they do.

• Forum MVP

The laws and their practice are two different things. Do you have actual examples from your life to draw on or you just talking about laws on the books. This case itself shows women less likely to be charged. She clearly committed battery but any standard of the definition. She was charged.

Archived