Electric Factory 12/30

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

First hand experience. A guy down street stopped feeding his cat. The cat stopped seeing that guy and started loving us for some food. Cats go to whoever feeds them. Stories exist of dogs staying with their owners to the point of starvation. It's called loyalty.

I generally like other people's dogs but wouldn't want one myself.  A dog is like a 2 year old child that never grows up.  Cats are independent.  Plus they eat a lot less so it's more feasible to buy them high quality food instead of the 30 variations of poison Purina puts on the shelves.

I think the dependent nature of dogs is what makes them more loyal, if that truly is what they are.  I don't doubt there are stories of dogs maintaining loyalty to the point of starvation, but 9 times out of 10 I'd put my money on them devouring your face at some point.  Still, I'll buy they're more loyal.

Cats are cleaner in my opinion.  You can wash a dog with the most fragrant, lovely, and potent smelling shampoo, and if you stick your face in a dogs fur, you'll still smell the scent of wet dog.  My cats never smell like anything.  (Actually one does have terrible breath - I have no idea why)

We had a dog for a short while.  Because my daughter's and my work & extracurricular schedule was so hectic at the time, we just couldn't give it the attention it needed.  It rarely got taken for a walk and was only paid attention to on our terms.  That's is not the formula for a happy dog (and my carpeting suffered). So we gave it to a better home.

• Forum MVP

I'm a dog person but understand that cats work better for others. Humans and dogs are bonded through evolution, perhaps the loyalty was developed this way. I'm not sure where house cats came from....

Mango -

Dogs and cats both evolved along side humans.  Dogs go much further back to the hunter/gatherer days when wolf packs would lie on the outskirts of hominid settlements to eat the left-over carcasses from human hunters.  At some point they ventured too close to the human settlements and were trained to hunt.

Cats didn't start intermingling with humans until the development of agriculture in the Fertile Crescent.  Once humans started storing grain, it attracted rodents who would eat the grain.  The rodents attracted cats and eventually humans realized the benefit of having the cats around.  An early human settlement would have relied on both dogs and cats to maintain their food supply.

• Forum MVP

My cat is completely loyal. Within 2 minutes of getting in bed she curls up between my arms and chest. If you don't feed a cat of course they will go to who has food. If a dog decides to die waiting for their owner then that's a dumb animal. The cat chooses life and knows only a dick won't feed them. A dog can get beaten and beaten and go back to that person. You beat a cat and they are out of there like they should be. A dog is more like a battered woman who keeps going back to the guy who hospitalizes her. A dog destroys your stuff. A cat also won't eat poison or antifreeze. A cat is cautious and confirms what they eat. You can toss the dog a chunk of metal and it will open up and swallow. My cats also cover their pee and poop. They wash themselves and always smell clean. Plus cats are great hunters and kill bugs and pests that get in your home.

• Forum MVP

I'm over this convo. JJ is right cats and dogs both have their places. I love my dogs and I can feel they love me. Cats don't like me been scratched by more cats than I can count unprovoked. They seem to have an evil disposition towards me and come off as incredible selfish creatures. My experience isn't yours and I don't want it to be either. I know many people love cats. My mom sure does.

I wasn't suggesting that you did.  Just simply that dogs eat much more volume than cats so it's much more expensive to buy em the good stuff.   For some, it may be more than they can afford.  If you research pet foods, you learn what awful and inappropriate ingredients most grocery store brands have in them.

I've personally settled on the Chicken Soup brand for my cats and that is what I used to feed my dog too.

• Forum MVP

Found i will feast with you but at your place i would fear that your kitty would get jealous and slash me up with the claws. I've never had good luck with cats. I know my experience here is unique. Even willie the cat we took in from up the street would lacerate my arm from time to time. Just lock his claws into you. Debs cat would expose its belly and beg for rubs only to lock her claws into you when you went to pet the belly. I'm just not a cat person. The scare me haha

Maybe they know something others don't

If my dogs sends me signals your no good then you no good

My dogs don't like you. Either do I.

• Forum MVP

I go grain free but that taste of the wild stuff is a little excessive. It seems like it's made for cheetahs more than a house cat. Not sure deer is my cats natural diet lol. There is freeze dried venison flavor. My cat won't even kill a mouse anymore much less a deer. Now my new inside outside cat has brought me 2 snakes and 5 mice in last month. Not sure where there are still snakes except it has been in the 60/70s still.

We think both our 2 dogs and 2 cats are the coolest, but of course in different ways. Dogs of course are more social, esp since they travel with us, but they can be a little needy also. The cats are social on their terms yet they love walks around the field or up the driveway with us and our oldest comes to a whistle better than any dog we know. And it's a bonus that all 4 can let themselves out thru the pet door. MC, I'm pretty sure our cats liked you and were nice to you and of course the dogs loved you

Archived