2017 Dave's Picks

John A

• Forum MVP

The first release, announced some time ago, is 4/2/73 at Boston Garden.  Hard to complain about a '73 release under any circumstances.

#2 in the 2017 series will be 12-7-71, with most of 12-6 included in both filler and on the 2017 Bonus Disc.  These are Pigpen's first shows since August '71.

David Lemieux has opined that the Smokestack Lightnin' from 12-7 is the greatest version ever. Upon initial investigation (fancy way of saying I cued it up last night) there is little evidence to dispute him!  That said, does anyone have a raw late 60s version that needs to be thrown into the discussion? 

• Advisory Board

It appears that Pigpen Smokestack was performed only 17 times. First on 11/19/66. Last on 3/25/72. Only once in 1966. Once in 1967. Once in 1968. 1969 had 4 performances, 3 of which had it as the set opener. 1970 had 4 performances, 2 of which were set openers. 1971 had 5 performances. 1972 had the last Pigpen Smokestack.

More than 12 years later on 10/9/84 it was brought back into rotation and played every year since then except in 1995. It was played 45 times between 1984 and 1994. 26 of those times it came out of Truckin'.

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

For the purpose of this discussion, Weir Smokestacks don't count. :lol:  The same would be true of course for a similar discussion of Lovelight or Good Lovin'.

That said, I was riveted at Hartford 4-5-88 with Jerry's non-stop finger work.  Now that's a tight Smokestack. And if we're talking transitions, the "->" between Truckin' and Smokestack at Deer Creek 7-15-89 is titanic.

I'm surprised there are so few documented Pigpen Smokestacks.  I will check out the 6-6-69 version pronto...

• Forum MVP

And if we're talking transitions, the "->" between Truckin' and Smokestack at Deer Creek 7-15-89 is titanic.

I also revisited this little 1989 power gem.  Truckin truly does dump into Smokestack in epic fashion.  Sadly the board tape I have is paper thin.  No Phil to really speak of.  It's time like this that one needs an EQ, but the damage was already done.  I don't have an aud tape of this, but something must exist that's more satisfying than the board.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Wow - is there a better Eyes than 4/2/73? :wub:

One of my favorites also, amazing from the entire band. Had mentioned in the now listening board a while back. Even with a bit of botched lyrics B)  Song #29 on the night. Love 73 shows.

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Wow - is there a better Eyes than 4/2/73? :wub:

Maybe not.  That whole 3rd disc is pure gold.  Great release.

Off topic, but the folks at jerrygarcia.com have just announced the next installment of the Garcia Live series.  It's from the Fall '91 tour - 11/23 in Milwaukee.  Should be solid.

• Forum MVP
7 minutes ago, John A said:

Off topic, but the folks at jerrygarcia.com have just announced the next installment of the Garcia Live series.  It's from the Fall '91 tour - 11/23 in Milwaukee.  Should be solid.

It was solid to these ears - what a Birthday present that show was!  Leaps and bounds above the Rosemont the prior evening.  I've heard the grest Lay Down Sally but I'm really excited about That Lucky Old Sun!   I don't know if it'll come off On the recording,  but I remember it being  transcendental !  

Thanks for the heads up !  

• Forum MVP

We were there, snowy night, breadbox sticks out in my memory. Lay down was rockin'

Be glad to revisit. Lucky old sun was epic, however I think there were some other jems. Didn't tape this one, was just going for the show. Been listening to the Jerry Band release of Sophie's place from 1976 Palo alto

• Forum MVP
59 minutes ago, PoetryGirl said:

The GSET jam is rocking out ! Jerry's finger work is phenomenal as any- bright and funky and shooting for the stars- IMHO.

The Good Doctor says this  will cure what ails ya!

Gotta give it a listen!  Let's see if it topples my all time fave

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1972/8/21/greatest-story-ever-told

Sorry to make this a Now Listening thread :)

• Forum MVP
On 2/5/2017 at 0:37 PM, Tea for Texas said:

Gotta give it a listen!  Let's see if it topples my all time fave

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1972/8/21/greatest-story-ever-told

Sorry to make this a Now Listening thread :)

I listened to them both together. There was only one copy of the 1972 show and it was a little hard to hear Jerry. Maybe GSET for the 8/21/72 was a drummer's choice as they do the lead in and then Phil starts thumping away! In the 1973, Phil begins the song unaccompanied. Do you think Donna tried to mimic Janis J in her delivery then ? It struck me maybe she was so inspired. There is a lot more piano and lead guitar interplay than in 1973 show version; 2 Apr 73 Jerry jams in out and THEN throws it into 5th gear - his fingers must have been dancing on the strings!! I am still partial to 73 I think because of what I hear Jerry lay down. Keith really played nicely in your fav

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, bs69 said:

That's the great thing about this day and age, don't have to go digging under the seats of the car to find that missing tape that you just have to listen to

Now you just need to look for that missing flash drive under the seat ;)

• Forum MVP

John A,

I've realized that there's only 24 hours in a day, finite available time. There's only two or three hours of listening time/day, if that,. Let's do the math, sleep 6-7 hours, work 8 hrs., travel time 2 hrs., grooming/biological functions 1 hr., eating 1-2 hrs., Torah studies 1 hr., and Misc. 1 hr.. We're all time's bitch.

• Forum MVP
On 2/7/2017 at 3:49 PM, cm_hayden said:

You know what's really fucked up, I got a number of cd's and I'm looking for a new car and 2017's don't have cd players. When am I going to find the time to transfer to a drive?

No need to transfer. Just download a huge group. Etree has tons of show groupings like all 76 soundboards etc. I personally just got all the 76's on a drive and have been delving in. 

Archived