chasing white whale

helpfrankslip

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I don't know who would take the vocals. Also, I have to start seeing some shows to really check in here; however, PROMONTORY RIDER, or anything from Rock Columbia. Who could put the loving cup back in an empty sky? WHO BABY WHO? wouldn't mind a JGB version of heaven's door with the ska beat he used to conjure up. I was crushed when the dead played it that fateful night in Pittsburgh out of space. I'd like me some JGB versions. He was my safe place and GD was more of a worldwide experience with all the trappings of reality. Jerry kept kept me in the land of lullabies. Hunter was the ultimate protector of the deepest emotional spaces

• Forum MVP

I had so many whales to chase.  Some I did not even know I was chasing.  Mountains on the moon definitely one of them.  I have been very lucky with my time on the bus and the music I have received!!   Even though we have chased them, we still look for that bigger white whale, because, in my mind, it can always get better!!

• Forum MVP

I chased Duprees Diamond Blues over the course of about 200 Dead shows but never got it.  It was about a once a tour song during most of that time, but it never seemed to show up on the West Coast where I saw all my shows post summer '88.  I guess they needed a more extended stretch of playing for Garcia to get around to it.

Then it finally appeared at the first show officially dubbed "Phil and Friends", an acoustic benefit at the BCT for the Berkeley High School music program in Fall '94. A visibly flustered Garcia botched the lyrics so badly it was comical.  Ah well. 

• Advisory Board

Anyone recall the Cosmic Charlie Campaign?  I was lucky enough to be at the NYE run 82/83 (and 83/84) and remember sitting outside the little freak village by the coliseum and getting a printed document about the campaign.

It was an organized campaign. With petitions and street people working the crowd. It lasted a long time. They were quite serious. We took our stuff so seriously back then. Cosmic Charlie was a White Whale for so many.

Dr. B

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Dr. Barry said:

Anyone recall the Cosmic Charlie Campaign?

The infamous Cosmic Charlie tease on 2-27-94 was abusive.  It seemed beyond clear Jerry was going to do it.  I've never been disappointed to hear a Wharf Rat, but the opening notes of Rat really let the air out of the place this night.  And according to the indexing on this link, the were playing Cosmic Charlie for almost a full minute!

https://archive.org/details/gd94-02-27.sbd.stephens.5972.sbeok.shnf/gd94-02-27d1t01.shn

• 2 months later...
  • Forum MVP
5 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

I'd love to catch DSO perform Senor (Tales of Yankee Power) or Twilight.  Both Jerry Garcia Band cover songs, but I find them both to be incredibly powerful in different ways.

True story:  I was chatting with JK a few years back on the patio at Terrapin Crossroads, after a show.  Somehow the talk turned to Twilight, and I was surprised that he was totally unaware Jerry had covered the song.

I think Jerry did it either 2 or 3 times in the Spring of '91. Of those versions, 1 is definitive, with an especially haunting delivery on the vocals.  My feeble mind is forgetting which unfortunately. But in said mystery version, the line "memories turn dusty old and gray" is goose bump material. 

• Forum MVP

As for Senior, Jerry sadly never really got a handle of the lyrics.  The version on the double live album from the '90 Warfield shows is amazing, and I was flummoxed. I'd seen every one of those shows, and didn't recall anything even remotely in its league vocally.  Then sometime later I saw an interview with John Kahn stating that the only song they really did much extra work with in the studio was Senor. And that Jerry overdubbed the vocals to virtually all of it!  Could this be the only example of anything akin to that on a Garcia related live release?!?

• Forum MVP

The lyrics may be overdubbed on this version of senor on youtube but it sure is stellar.  Jerry slays both the guitar and the vocals, although i probably don't know the actual lyrics as penned by Dylan.

• 4 months later...
  • Forum MVP

After seeing Visions a couple of times, I'll take it off my list for a bit.  Here's the current list:

The Eleven (it will always be on here no matter how many times I see it)

Viola Lee (it will always be on here no matter how many times I see it)

New Potato Caboose

Mountains of the Moon

Sing Me Back Home

Attics of my Life 

Caution

Pig Lovelight (it's been awhile)

Never seen DSO do these 2:

I've Been All Around This World (electric or acoustic)*

Smokestack Lightning (Pig or Bobby)*

And for the mother of all White Whales:

L-O-W  S-P-A-R-K!

I have to again remember that I will never see any of these if I don't actually go to shows anymore :blink:

• Forum MVP

Feelin you on the VIOLA love.

First one I saw was with JK and NLQP- killer version.

Ever since, I'll take one at every show.

Never seen DSO do Cream Puff War,

but caught a Further version at RCMH

that was a joy.

Top of the list currently is Day Tripper.

Praise DSO

• Forum MVP

Did we not get day tripper in blk mountain this year? 

Think so......

For me:

Baby blue, desolation row, built to last, california earthquake, and a fantasy/jude....or a jude/fantasy.....

I got a she belongs to me in hampton beach.  Flipping chills run up and down my spine thinking about how it made me feel.  

Songs that would not be hard to handle every show.

Gdtrfb

St. Stephen

Peggy o

Bertha

High time

Cosmic

Viola lee

Casey jones....fast and long heady version

Note:   when the music plays, it is the only time i can block everyone else around me out.  Talkers...different circumstance, but its so nice to block out the world, and to truley feel glory, peace, and turmoil.   To work through the music as if its your soul moving me around the room.  To be silly,  and not self conscious.   To know that the energy DSO brings gets channeled through the arms, legs and feet. 

To share that energy with others.  The happiness, the sorrows, the memories, snd the experiences to come.  

I liking it to those who may speak in tounge.  The power of the music takes over your body, and moves youn in ways you  never thought possiable.  

Just awesome!!

Archived