chasing white whale

helpfrankslip

• Forum MVP

Mine was Viola Lee Blues. Got my first one in Charlotte round 2011,2012, maybe later. But still feel the elation of that moment.  Have gotten several since and never tire of that determined  beat. Damn that's a good one. My new one is Russian lullaby. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

First one was Dark Star. Only took ten or so shows to get it. The Eleven was the big one for a while until aforementioned 11-11-08 show. Specifically planned that trip in a time when I went to way fewer shows, hoping very much that they would bust it out. After that a 69 show was thought unattainable, changed Mattson joining the band. That was big. Russian lullaby after that, of course. A few other small ones here and there but what's left.... Cream Puff War? Clementine? 

• Forum MVP

Admittedly i have been spoiled. Under 40 shows and ive gotten everything i could have ever wanted. Eleven was it for a while, reuben and VLB too. Have gotten multiples of all. Mission, white rabbit, strange man, hurts me too (lisa), lullaby, all were whales at one point but have gotten all. Not chasing anything really anymore, but it Wont lessen the experience. Will continue to hit my modest approximate 10ish shows a year. 

• Forum MVP

Smokestack Lightning, Alligator, High Time, Baby Blue, Dear Prudence, Dear Mr Fantasy. Chimes of Freedom, Blackbird

I would love to see... Babe It Ain't No Lie, Don't Let Go, Get Out of My Life, Lucky Ole Sun, Believe It Or Not, Fever

love Doin That Rag and VLB and A steady diet of Dark Star. 

• Forum MVP
On 2/10/2017 at 9:52 PM, Taper Ron said:

DSO (w/JK) played The Eleven 33 times 12/14/2003 was first time.  11/27/2009 was  final time. 

• 2003 x 2
  • 2005 x 1
  • 2008 x 11
  • 2009 x 19

would like to point something out here,

both in 03 and 1 in 05 are not considered Dso versions..

the first 3 of 08 are actually the Eleven Jam

the first official full Dso version Eleven is 11/11/08 ,Concord NH Dan healy soundman, 

with 25 more JK Eleven's until his departure 

On 2/10/2017 at 7:34 PM, gr8fulpair said:

Mine was Viola Lee Blues. Got my first one in Charlotte round 2011,2012, maybe later. But still feel the elation of that moment.  Have gotten several since and never tire of that determined  beat. Damn that's a good one. My new one is Russian lullaby. 

i remember seeing furthur running with viola lee blues throughout the first set literally after every song now if that's not a sandwich nothing is 

On 2/10/2017 at 7:34 PM, gr8fulpair said:

I remember seeing furthur running with viola lee blues throughout the first set literally after every song now if that's not a sandwich nothing is 

• Forum MVP

Gomorrah & Simple Twist came without too many swipes although they had wale status for a time.  Same with Don't Let Go.

I'm not sure I've seen New Potato with Jeff yet.  I think I missed King Solomons they played at the dirty 930 - 2011 maybe?  Not sure if that's seen the light of day since.  Better check Starbase :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Pretty sure I'll never get Desolation. I've stepped up my touring the last year to give me a 50/50 of not missing it but they haven't played it since 2012. I need to get it sooner than later. As age sets in, remembering that poem, the lyric equilavent of a Tolstoy novel, will get harder and harder.  Every time we get an 80s show with no Lisa I think this is my show.  Winter tour 2016 was heavy 80s but alas no Desolation. This west winter tour was heavy 80s early on but alas no Desolation.  I was going to offer to make the deal that I'll learn it if you play it but man to learn it in order would be Herculean in scope. 

The dead played desolation row 58 times which is 1 in 40 shows. DSO plays around 60 recreations a year. Not playing it in 5 years makes me conclude a conspiracy is at work. 

8 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Adding "Let it Rock" and "Green Green Grass of Home" 💝

Green green grass would be awesome,  I remember one time at Oakland coliseum during set break these heads started going on about how cool it would be if they come out and rip out a hokey pokey personally I didn't see the humor in that but they were like think about it 20 thousand heads jamming it with a not fade beat I gotta admit since they put it that way hokey pokey started sounding pretty good. 

• Advisory Board

Can someone make a list of GD, Garcia band and Bobby band songs DSO has not performed yet? Someone with too much time on their hands?

And Hey Little One would be a white whale for me. 

Dr. B

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, helpfrankslip said:

Green green grass would be awesome,  I remember one time at Oakland coliseum during set break these heads started going on about how cool it would be if they come out and rip out a hokey pokey personally I didn't see the humor in that but they were like think about it 20 thousand heads jamming it with a not fade beat I gotta admit since they put it that way hokey pokey started sounding pretty good. 

Actually, after nearly 6 decades on this planet and careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that it is quite probable that the...

Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, rudedogggg said:

Pretty sure I'll never get Desolation. I've stepped up my touring the last year to give me a 50/50 of not missing it but they haven't played it since 2012. I need to get it sooner than later. As age sets in, remembering that poem, the lyric equilavent of a Tolstoy novel, will get harder and harder.  Every time we get an 80s show with no Lisa I think this is my show.  Winter tour 2016 was heavy 80s but alas no Desolation. This west winter tour was heavy 80s early on but alas no Desolation.  I was going to offer to make the deal that I'll learn it if you play it but man to learn it in order would be Herculean in scope. 

The dead played desolation row 58 times which is 1 in 40 shows. DSO plays around 60 recreations a year. Not playing it in 5 years makes me conclude a conspiracy is at work. 

The high cost of getting all the st Stephen's and viola Lee Blues could be at the expense of desolation. 

• Forum MVP
23 minutes ago, franknkeene said:

I do not keep pace with all the set lists for every show, but I think Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds has never been played during Jeff's tenure.  True?  I really miss it.

True - Last time played was with Stu in 2010. 

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

Actually, after nearly 6 decades on this planet and careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that it is quite probable that the...

Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

+1. 

Ready to shake it all about:P

• Forum MVP

Just feeling like while it is fun to talk about what we like - I get exactly what I need always, whether I recognize it or not. 😂 

excited for spring tour as it is turning spring here early ! The saucer cup magnolias and early daffodils have come and gone; the jessamine, cherry trees, bridal veil are blooming; the azaleas 🌺 and dogwood are budding. (What will the Masters do !?!)

hope all the DSO peeps have a great break and come this way shining and floating. Looks like the west coast had a chalice full! 💕

• Forum MVP

2 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Just feeling like while it is fun to talk about what we like - I get exactly what I need always, whether I recognize it or not. 😂 

excited for spring tour as it is turning spring here early ! The saucer cup magnolias and early daffodils have come and gone; the jessamine, cherry trees, bridal veil are blooming; the azaleas 🌺 and dogwood are budding. (What will the Masters do !?!)

hope all the DSO peeps have a great break and come this way shining and floating. Looks like the west coast had a chalice full! 💕

It's 70s and spring here now but it's about to hit winter again and they are predicting snow and 20 degree temps this weekend. Grrrrrrr. I went shorts all of winter tour besides Oregon.  Dancing in jeans sucks!!

and I just saw the jubilee accuweather forecast. It looks like 75 as a high and 55 as a low plus no chance of rain!!! It looks like the rain will be after jubilee. And yes that forecast is predicted with 90% accuracy even 75 days out. You know meteorologists have this down to a perfect science now. 

Archived