Portland Saturday....Lisa

goganious

So Friday and Saturday both offered great shows in Portland. I'm sure someone else can fill in the blanks on the setlist and the particulars for Saturday night's show. I am creating this thread for one reason only: To talk about Lisa's rendition of Bob Dylan's "Chimes of Freedom".

Wow. 

Not sure I can muster up the proper diction to describe the power, emotion, relevance, and completeness of Lisa's reading of this song. To hear her sing THOSE words at THIS time in American history, and the way her vocals built and built until the final, bellowing verse...it was an absolute goosebumps/tears kind of moment. And the crowd absolutely knew it and responded so enthusiastically. I have never, in many years of going to DSO shows, EVER seen such a spontaneous outpouring of appreciation from the crowd for ONE song, one singular performance. Even the band seemed a bit taken aback by the voracious and long lasting ovation.

There were many great moments, both nights, but that "Chimes of Freedom" is a moment I will never forget. Thank you DSO and thank you Lisa Mackey!

• Forum MVP

ABSOLUTELY YES to all words above about Chimes. It felt not only touching but also important at this moment. And as goganious said the outpouring of support from the crowd afterwards was THICK! Seemed to last for 3 minutes. 

All such an important reminder that kindness, generosity, and looking out for your fellow human being is needed now more than ever...

and so the kids they dance and shake their bones...to the Cassidy>Birdsong first set closer and launched into 2nd set party with China>Rider, unbroken chain, Corrinna (first one out here!!),D/S Dark  Star> St Stephen> Wharf Rat>GDTRFB with a Box encore...

More to add when it comes...maybe the Corrinna was first set I'm not clear but what a fun dance party. Was thankful to have very decent dance space with good vibes all around...

Set One: Hell in A Bucket ; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo > C. C. Rider ; When Push Comes To Shove ; My Brother Esau ; Ramble On Rose ; Chimes Of Freedom ; Cassidy > Bird Song

Set Two: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider > Corrina > Unbroken Chain > Dark Star > drums > space > Saint Stephen > Wharf Rat > Dark Star (reprise) > Going Down The Road Feeling Bad

Encore: Box Of Rain

• Forum MVP

I cried after chimes. I've never seen such s reaction. I clapped and cheered for over 2 minutes. That song took on such relevance in today's political climate. The crowd was united in their appreciation for the principles this country was founded on of acceptance and hope. It was beautiful!!!  By far the most memorable experience at a DSO show ever. Bravo!!!!

To touch on the rest of this one, awesome second set! After reading about Corrina being worked up lately, for someone who doesn't see that many shows, this was a treat. And to get both Dark Star and Saint Stephen, plus what I thought was a fantastic Wharf Rat too. Many reasons this show stood out for me.

4 hours ago, count2 said:

To touch on the rest of this one, awesome second set! After reading about Corrina being worked up lately, for someone who doesn't see that many shows, this was a treat. And to get both Dark Star and Saint Stephen, plus what I thought was a fantastic Wharf Rat too. Many reasons this show stood out for me.

I haven't seen a Corrina yet but it's sure has been given so many thumbs up lately it's like one of those I've got to hear for myself things 

• Forum MVP

Beautiful!!! I really didn't enjoy this song when they first started doing it years ago- don't know why, just didn't know the song and it took hearing it a few times.... then one night I really paid attention and it brought me to tears. Remember that time (acoustic show? West coast...) that she dropped the final lyrics, they recovered like champs, then she came to mic and read the tricky damn lyrics just to get em in and laugh about these long ass Dylan songs lol. Was beautiful and shows their sense of humor and their willingness to play w us. 

I started learning the song on my mando and it made my friend cry on the river at the dharma center last summer. Very special song. Wish I could remember lol the words hehe

jealous as fuck of y'all dancing out there, but I am busily making DSO pipe bags (forums names badge patches coming after Berkeley and throughout year- trying to see who gonna be at each show so I can bring you yours hehehehe) and Dead roach clips (found cassette tape charms! And left handed monkey wrenches lmao!) and we fly out first thing Thursday AM :) anyone staying at marina? Fave meditation spot around bay and we r staying w Tibetan friends (they coming Saturday I think!!!) so I'm hoping to find some of y'all w a room over there to hang w a bit ;) also: the marina doubletree will shuttle you to the show at your scheduled time ;) free for u and all your friends ;)

• Forum MVP

Um..... wtf? I'm listening to this show, embroidering "DSO" on padded pouches and..... chimes came on.

im still tear stained and knee bruised writing this cause I certainly fell to my knees and sobbed gazing up at the chimes of freedom flashing..... 

damn. This is what I'm missing?!?! How did y'all even HaNDLE it?!?!? Good golly.....

On 2/14/2017 at 0:30 PM, Supplicated Velvet Thunder said:

Um..... wtf? I'm listening to this show, embroidering "DSO" on padded pouches and..... chimes came on.

im still tear stained and knee bruised writing this cause I certainly fell to my knees and sobbed gazing up at the chimes of freedom flashing..... 

damn. This is what I'm missing?!?! How did y'all even HaNDLE it?!?!? Good golly.....

that corrina sounded like the ultimate dancing song that beat is infectious 

Archived