May '77: Get Shown The Light aka "holy shit they're releasing Barton Hall"

John A

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Mango said:

I challenge anyone to listen to 5-22 and tell me it isn't one of the best shows... Ever. The band is so tight, Jerry's leads succinct and on fire. My favorite versions of TMNS and Sugaree. You've gotta find the dp3 outtakes as well, some goodness in there.

The setlist doesn't hurt either. 

• Forum MVP
56 minutes ago, Mango said:

Setlists are one thing... This show reads between the lines as well

Well, for example in this case, the set list would not tell you that the 5-22-77 Terrapin didn't include the Lady With A Fan segment. 

And no set list will indicate when a given rendition was just exactly perfect.

• Forum MVP

For our ride to Memphis today to have a night on Beale as a bourbon warmup, we played the 5-22 show.  That 2nd set doesn't offer much room to take a breath. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I think this show holds so much mystique for me because of the 250 tapes I collected over 3 years it was one of the first and I listened to it over and over - just like Frost 86 or Winterland 72 or Taft Theater 71. It was the only Damcin I knew on tape for a long long time and it is unforgettable and it is magic. There are times when the music is so permeating the air with fullness of sound it is like a Charleton alley way on a warm spring day with every bit of the 85% humid salty air comingled and saturated with the essence of tea olive and sweet bay magnolia. Its beauty is etched in my muscle memory. The timbre and tone are rote and I know it before it turns or twists  I wallow in its richness like a honeybee in a saucer cup magnolia bloom"s petals  full of shed stamen pollen-coated orange or feast  like my chipmunk at the office when he climbs into the tray bird feeder ( INSIDE) and stuffs its cheeks full of safflower seed. 

Archived