Las Vegas

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

I found the passenger particularly fitting for me. As I flew out of Vegas before sun up and road all the way back to Denver. Been sleeping pretty much since I got back. The price you pay. I'll be back in Scottsdale through close of tour. 

One thing I feel I have to mention. If you have a small dog please leave it in the car or at the least hang out in back. Someone brought their little guy into the dance center and their guy got kicked and looked completely frightened. I believe this behavior of the owner to be animal cruelty. It really bothers me. I don't see much need for a dog in the show. I get it hippies love thumbing their nose at authority but your dog would be better off in the car. They have way more sensitive hearing then we do. The speaker that hurts your ear hurts theirs worse. Concert generally not a great place for dog. Sorry for the rant guys. 

• Forum MVP

Thanks MC - rest up!  Unique show - Dancin > Drums > Franklins > Peter must have been quite a treat for the 2nd set!

As for the dog issue - First, I hope he is ok after that - sounds pretty scary for the pup not to mention the folks scared for its safety.  Second  i'm going to disagree with the advice to leave the dog in the car.  The weather may have been ok  for that to be a  minimal option  but in some cases that will kill an animal faster than the danger posed inside the venue.   MC - I'm not speaking to your proclivities as a dog-owner - just the ones who put their pets in danger. 

Pets are a HUGE responsibility that is often largely underestimated by young people living in the moment and wanting companionship .   If someone can't make arrangements that ensures the safety of their pets when trying to hit shows,  then they have no business bringing them at all, let alone probably owning one.  I know you can get a companion animal permit, but if someone really, really needs that, they need to deal with the consequences of that choice.  

I sprung a listless dog from a hot car while touring and some guy tried to break my face because I broke his car window.   People have to put the need to protect their animals ahead of their desire for a good time.

~End Rant :)

Flew in from NY to see the show. DSO killed! Anybody else catch the don't fear the reaper tease? All the tunes sounded stellar..Highlight for me were ship & a super funky dancin. I was a bit confused on the dogs in the show.. never seen that be4 but I guess anything goes in Vegas. I don't think it's cool & just don't get the point of it? Coming from NY I'm used to drunk obnoxious crowds but the hippies that were throwing ice, shoving everyone around them & smelled worse than Penn station in august.. u guys take the prize 4 worst ever..

• Forum MVP

Tried to get security to get that tiny dog out of the pit. No one could see it and people were kicking it accidentally. I wanted to punch that girl in the face who brought that little 8 pound dog on a leash into that wild dancing pit.  I think at that point I realized i may have the capacity for legit violence. Humans deserve some or much of what comes their way but that tiny sweet dog didn't.  It makes me bubble up with anger just reliving that. 

Besides that, there was so much room to groove no matter where you went. After the show it was a clash of worlds. In the Mandalay, 10 tall models walked by all wearing similar outfits likely from some shoot and just to the right of them was 20 kids with dreads in full stereotypical festie gear. I was thinking those are lot models lol. 

After a below average gambling run, I had a nice hit on roulette post show and before I could lose it I was given a Conway cookie and proceeded to eat it and was booted off the table for food. I was thankful I was kicked off up 150. That helped offset much larger losses over the last several days but it was fun anyway.  The funny thing is I told the pit boss I'm not making a mess as a piece of cookie breaks off and crumbs go everywhere lol. 

And to continue my argument, Vegas ain't west coast. 1st song some dude comes up to me and says quit getting so close to me dancing. He was in the pit.... The fantastic vibes all tour changed in Vegas. The crowd was more of a mixed bag vs the northwest and Berkeley. By middle 2nd set the tourists had gone and it was business as usual with the remaining people in full groove down mode.  After a needed day off after 7 in 7(counting stu), I had boundless energy to groove and this place had the room to let go.

That passenger was badass btw. Skip got cranked up and dropped bombs. I was wondering if the venue lacked bass until that bass driven passenger played. 

And to reaffirm, my show guessing skills are crap. I did guess 6-77 for the Tahoe show but I'm usually wrong as I was here.  Was talking to a guy who said his fav show was 6-9-77. I'm like we had 6-8 in Tahoe and Jeff has the tb-500 again so you may get that show. I was thinking what are the odds of this. He had no clue if the Tahoe show just played. Well I became convinced it was this show and the El Paso made me 100% sure it was 77 as they played it a lot.  But another fail...

• Forum MVP

My friends just arrived that went to the show...... she said she danced like she never has before and she said, "is it fucked up to say I like dark star MORE cause they sound BETTER than..." and I said, "that's what we all say!" Hehehe. They are excited to come to Scottsdale with us. Can't make CO, as we are saving and last minute scrambling to get into a van/bus for April tour :) 

the dude she travels with has what the doctors call "catatonic seizures".... he literally "stops" sometimes but can still hear us and knows what's up, just can't move or respond. So.... he stopped at the show in vegas..... everyone was walking by saying the shit he was on must be the old school good shit.... lmao. But it was just the music and his unique chemistry ;) he comes out of it quick when there is music and dancers and friends to come back to. Takes longer when he ends up in a hospital. Fun friend to travel with :) 

excited to see another show tomorrow and even more stoked to get into a tour mobile and enjoy the warm spring down south :) kiss kiss!

• Forum MVP

I don't ever say dark star sounds better than unless you mean Furthur the dead or dead and co. I almost find it disrespectful to Jerry to say so. However I'm so glad that DSO is doing that for others. I would recommend diving deeper into the live show catalogue of the dead. They certainly have more clunkers than DSO but there is a plethora of amazing shows. 

• Forum MVP
On 2/26/2017 at 4:31 PM, Mason's Child said:

I don't ever say dark star sounds better than unless you mean Furthur the dead or dead and co. I almost find it disrespectful to Jerry to say so. However I'm so glad that DSO is doing that for others. I would recommend diving deeper into the live show catalogue of the dead. They certainly have more clunkers than DSO but there is a plethora of amazing shows. 

That's what she meant! Grateful and joyful we get to dance at DSO cause nothing else around right now moves me like they do :)

• 1 month later...

I've heard this statement iterated before... "Dark Star is better than the Dead were."  Another famous one is that Dark Star is more 'consistent' than the Dead were.  I even used to say this.

That was before I had the app that allows me to pick & choose any show I want to hear.  Prior to this, I was very inaccurate of my perception that they were a band that had a few amazing runs of consistency ('69; '72; '77; '89) but were relatively up & down in terms of the ratio of great vs just decent shows.

When I finally had it all at my fingertips I came to realize, and I still re-confirm it to myself all the time, that during most of their career, they were extraordinarily consistent.  They had gotten so good, that even when the magic wasn't completely there, it could still be a damn good show.

One of the most impressive things you'll find is how different versions of tunes really are.  The Dead were true improvisers.  It's not an understatement when someone says they never played the same version twice.  Here's a great experiment:  Pick five Estimated Prophets from 1989 and give them a listen and see how they were able to spin it so much differently than just five nigh previous.  If you picked 5 DSO versions of the tune from that era, I think you'd find them to be less reaching.

One of the amazingly impressive things about DSO is their ability to draw from any era.  Their repertoire has to be unmatched.

• Forum MVP

The expertise it takes to recreate all eras is beyond reproach. But the GD created all those eras from scratch. Have enormous reverence for both accomplishments. Feel very blessed to have been able to enjoy this music fervently executed live for 32 yrs now and counting,...

• Forum MVP

I hear a lot of kind words about DSO. With kids crushing on bobby's new johnny etc, I must clarify my own opinion. I'm not interested in judgements about music I never saw myself, but deeply love. I am interested in going to as many shows as I can that make me feel what I felt during that first Dancin DSO played me at the Variety. Sometimes the tapes do it, GD tapes I mean, but I have only been to a couple not-DSO dead shows that even came close to what Dark Star gives me regularly. I even love listening to DSO at home: wish I had a larger download budget but I'm only recently getting a handle on affording the shows I need to see. 

We are the luckiest fans. Deadheads in general because we have access to so much variety of recorded and live music, but Starheads in particular bc our ability to suspend cognitive reality and allow the queen of make believe to have her way with our perceptions of what is "real" and "good." To me, the comparison is a moot point. DSO is now what the Dead was then..... to those that search and trust ;) kiss kiss!!!!

Fact is Jerry and the Grateful Dead are no more.  DSO is the closest thing we have to it and they represent the music incredibly well.  Both in spirit and in musicianship.  However I agree that when some make claims of DSO being "better," it is a bit disrespectful.

But it makes me extraordinarily happy to know that so many are being given a chance to hop on the bus with DSO and experience the Grateful Dead as it was meant to be.  I'm grateful too even though I got to experience 5 Grateful Dead shows in the 90's + many parking lot, hotel, and camping scenes.  Hard to say whether I'd trade it for the experience DSO has given me.  Thankfully I don't have to.

Musically speaking, Starheads are on a better ride than I was in the 90's with the Dead.  Think I've said this before... it is sort of difficult to describe to those who didn't experience the Dead, the real scope of what went down when they came to a city. The entire community was overrun.  Go to the gas station, the park, the store, hippies EVERYWHERE. Go to local hotels and find hippies camped in the lobbies and corridors.  Front yards became camp grounds as people would take advantage and charge $10 to heads to camp.  It was a huge financial boost to the community too so Dead Heads were often welcomed with open arms.

• Forum MVP

No one can play Jerry like Jerry in his prime.  Every time I listen to a 70s show I get blown away by Jerrys playing.  Im like omg did you hear that.  That being said, I think DSO does a better job on the 80/90s stuff overall than the dead did.  Im saying this as a whole band together.  The Dead had people disappear from night to night.    Bobby and Jerry both had their demons.  Also when a band gets very wealthy, its tough to really want to go back on the road and give all you got.  I personally think 76 was the deads finest hour.  They had come back from hiatus after not touring which left them energized.  They were a little edgier than the smoothed out 77 style.  They may have had a few slower shows in 76, but to my ear, they had this consistent fire.

On 4/7/2017 at 3:53 PM, rudedogggg said:

No one can play Jerry like Jerry in his prime.  Every time I listen to a 70s show I get blown away by Jerrys playing...

Love all Jerry's playing.  Not sure when his "prime" was exactly, but personally I've always loved the way Garcia played from '68-'72.  His sound was so powerful and playing was so blues inspired.  His stamina was off the chart.  

• Forum MVP

I heard something about Jerry the other day. I met this fella that I helped and was listening to a GD concert while I worked. He noticed and we chatted about his experiences back in the seventies. This fella and his brother gained admission back stage of Ovens Coliseum at the 1973 show and presented the band with a bouquet of "lamb's breath' wrapped in tissue and a bow. He related later a year or so he was attending a river festival and walking along heard a call, "Hey Man, don't I know you?" It was Jerry hanging out and had remembered him from Charlotte. Isn't that endearing 

Archived