New DSO & GD Fan (better late than never). looking for recommendations

LIkeEveryOne

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

1970 and 80 had 3 set shows. 1st set accoistic and 2 and 3rd electric. Unfortunately these aren't the best years for soundboards. They were before and after Betty Jean Cantor was recording shows. 

For a new GD fan, I'd suggest any of the Europe 72(very similar setlists) and April-June 77. 

Here's a site that's awesome. There are many sources for each show. Try to listen to the soundboards if there is a source. http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1977

• Forum MVP

And to spam the topic, this 5-22-77 show has imo the most epic 2nd set ever at least in terms of setlist. It has 5 2nd set monsters in a row, not even including the help slip frank to start it off. We got to experience this in dance party heaven at a DSO Charlotte show. https://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-22.sbd.terrapin.dp3-rip.31789.sbeok.shnf/Gd77-05-22D2T1.shn

• Forum MVP

LIVE Dead was the album for my indoctrination.  It certainly ain't acoustic but it does a good job capturing the energy and spirit of the good 'ole Grateful Dead.

• Forum MVP

The Grateful Dead wasn't much of an acoustic project. I would look into Jerry/Grisman and Jerry acoustic band if I was set on acoustic music. 

If you're really looking to get into the dead, I would get in my car and drive to Louisville on the 31st. By the end of the dark star tour, I'm sure you'll have a fuzzy idea about what the GD were all about. 

If your still young enough that freedom mostly doesn't come til summer, pick a leg of summer tour. If you don't have a car, I may be or may know someone who would take a rider on one of these runs. I am of no help if you show up in Louisville. Only doing first four and I am the rider. 

• Forum MVP
5 minutes ago, Mason's Child said:

The Grateful Dead wasn't much of an acoustic project. I would look into Jerry/Grisman and Jerry acoustic band if I was set on acoustic music. 

If you're really looking to get into the dead, I would get in my car and drive to Louisville on the 31st. By the end of the dark star tour, I'm sure you'll have a fuzzy idea about what the GD were all about. 

If your still young enough that freedom mostly doesn't come til summer, pick a leg of summer tour. If you don't have a car, I may be or may know someone who would take a rider on one of these runs. I am of no help if you show up in Louisville. Only doing first four and I am the rider. 

Tour sneaking up on us!!!!!  8 days :)))

Assuming this isn't a troll thread... ;)

I actually would recommend History of the Grateful Dead, Volume One (Bear's Choice).  

Not a joke.  Google it.  I remember it from when I first started listening... Dated 1970 with some acoustic stuff on it. 

Enjoy.  

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Tea for Texas said:

LIVE Dead was the album for my indoctrination.  It certainly ain't acoustic but it does a good job capturing the energy and spirit of the good 'ole Grateful Dead.

Live Dead for me too.

In 1976 at Stony Brook some annoying "deadhead" down the hall from me  played the vinal daily on "10" with speakers facing outward in the window toward the quad.

Although and probably because I was quite the nerdy physics major at the time, willing to experiment, I had to ask him wtf.

Within 6 months I discovered many wonders, he took me to palladium, and I discovered wtf.

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Blindman said:

I actually would recommend History of the Grateful Dead, Volume One (Bear's Choice).  

Not a joke.  Google it.  I remember it from when I first started listening... Dated 1970 with some acoustic stuff on it. 

Enjoy.  

I actually thought troll at first myself but the forums is much more friendly than when I came on board. Those around here seem to always give the benefit of the doubt and open their arms to new comers. Let them expose their troll ways before calling them a troll. There used to be some extreme vetting around. 

Hence the quirky face Mason's.  Not new to this board...

Live Dead is where you need to be... eventually.  Just not sure if that's where our new friend necessarily needs to start out.  It's about as advanced as we get. 

2 hours ago, Blindman said:

Enjoy.  

Wake up little Susie. Always loved that version 

I understand Mason's...

Is it great fun about the depth, breadth of GD during the early era.  Fun for all. Point of entries are different for all for sure...

BTW, when is DSO going to revisit Paso Robles>Ojai?  

• Forum MVP

It kind of screams troll because most don't find this forum without already getting into the Dead quite a bit but we all have different paths. 

I really liked those 2 outdoor California shows but I've heard no talk of a return. 

16 hours ago, LIkeEveryOne said:

There is so much musical content out there, it's mind boggling  

Can  someone  suggest a few of  their  favorite  DSO and  DG songs or shows to get me going.    I really like the acoustic stuff, but its all good.

Thanks   

Just head on down to your area's next dso show shouldn't be to hard after that 

• Forum MVP
On 3/22/2017 at 8:37 AM, LIkeEveryOne said:

Can  someone  suggest a few of  their  favorite  DSO and  DG songs or shows to get me going.    I really like the acoustic stuff,

Many good suggestions above.  I sometimes introduce friends with either of the two early studio albums, "American Beauty" or "Workingman's Dead".  These are not truly acoustic like "Reckoning" but are not as fully electric and energistic as the live shows. They contain many songs presented in a studio version which latter can be heard as more extended live versions in the shows.  Get a taste of the music from any of these suggestions and then find your way to some dark Star Orchestra shows in your area in May...

·  05/11/17   Count Basie Theatre   Red Bank, NJ

·   05/12/17   The Space At Westbury   Westbury, NY

·   05/13/17   Penn's Peak   Jim Thorpe, PA

Spring Tour

·   05/15/17   McCarter Theater   Princeton, NJ

·   05/16/17   Mayo Performing Arts Center   Morristown, NJ

Spring Tour

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

I think everyone's who's been turned on to this music can tell a unique story.  There's no hard approach to what to listen to.  That said, I'm sure LiveDead plays a leading role in many a story.

As for me, two roommates on my freshman year dorm floor were serious Heads (although the term "prep school Deadhead" may have a bad name, these were good folk) and always cranking bootlegs.  I was non pulsed by any of it.  One day I walked into their room and, from the Shakedown Street album, Estimated Prophet was playing.  "What's this?" I asked.  "Dude, it's the Grateful Dead."  Oh. From there I started paying closer attention. 

Once in a while you get shown the light....

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, rudedogggg said:

Tour sneaking up on us!!!!!  8 days :)))

No vehicle has appeared. Big ideas, but the cash is all spent. Heart breaking at thought of missing April shows. Waiting for a miracle. Hope to make it eventually bf month over but that will require extraordinary effort which I am mustering up as I write this. See ya asap ;) least I in co for father son time lol yay

Archived