Evansville

Dead duck

• Forum MVP
The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA (3/31/87)

Jack Straw
Franklin's Tower
C.C. Rider
Ramble on Rose
Tons of Steel
Mama Tried
Big River
Candyman
Desolation Row
Don't Ease Me In

Touch of Grey
Estimated Prophet
Terrapin Station
drums
Uncle John's Band
I Need a Miracle
Stella Blue
Around and Around
Turn on Your Love Light

Brokedown Palace

filler tore up. 

The filler tells the tale. The band tore the place to shreds. From the 1st note to eaton jumping in the air on the last note of tore up, the band rocked the fuck out of us.  The band was having a blast and very engaged.  As MC said I was man crushing on eaton after that performance.  My best show of the year so far.  The place had fantastic sound, and this was a pure rocker from the get go. Fast jack straw set the tone. And the post terrapin jam was ridiculous. Eaton was out there longer than Jeff pre drums and it didn't seem like he wanted to leave which is sort of rare. He was ready to rock out tonight. Very interactive between him and Jeff.......AND I GOT MY DESOLATION!!! When they brought the stand out for eaton, im like this is it!!!  Until I heard "they're selling postcards of the hanging" I kept my emotions in check. But that was pure butter. Eatons delivery was sooo smooth. Wish I recorded more than 20 seconds of it just to send to my DSO friends lol. 

Awesome crowd.  Nazi security, but we were close on a row with 6' of space to the chair in front so we had groove room. The security wouldn't let anyone be right at the stage. Kept clearing it out and people kept ignoring them. Surprised they had any resolve left after a night of deadheads.  The Midwest brings the energy. The crowd was bigger than expected and really let go. Was such a great show. Fantastic!!!!

Thank you for a real good time!!!! 

• Forum MVP

The crowd really shocked me too. Short notice in a nontypical city figured it would be smallish but Evansville brought it. The space the seats provided was welcome after being pushed against Mr. Dog pee for a portion of the Louisville show. Lol

• Forum MVP

As I drove only 11 miles from my house I can say I was pleasantly surprised by what my now home town (you can take the boy out of Brooklyn but you can't...) servd up over all.

The decent size energized crowd is due to the fact that that Eville is smack dab in the middle of and the largest town between Louisville, Indy, St Lou, and Nashville hence good geographical draw for peeps craving good jam bad type live music. ..or shopping at the mall but that's so 2000's. Evidence of more typical Eville scene is the Journey show in the tin can (Ford Center next to Voctory) tonight...I will be else where's :)

The nazi security was all Evansville...not even able to go out at set break. I kinda knew they were dicks so got an aisle seat third row on left across from Rude.

I was less than thrilled with the late 80' s setup as Being spoiled I prefer my DSO either pre 1980 or elective. As the show went on the energy just seemed to increase in magnitude and positivity ultimately climaxing with the Tore Up which I vote for as a rare "filler" musical highlight of the night if having to just pick one.

Hope the bus stops here again!!!

I was a freshman in high school in march 1987. I am from philly area. This  show was an FM broadcast that my older brother recorded on cassette. He was not a big fan, but thank goodness he had enough interest to record the broadcast. This show was my very first introduction to the Dead.   I got a listen to the tape and I was hooked. Super vivid memories of cutting the lawn with my Walkman  on and grooving to this tape over and over and over again. Desolation Row always holds such a special place for me because this show. I haven't thought about this show in so long. Loved seeing it come up here. Means SO much to me.  Saw my first show about a year later. This show is exactly the moment "the bus came by and I got on".  

This was a sick run at the Spectrum and I can't believe it has been 30 years.

Quick backtrack- My friend Nick helped nail down the show in Louisville the night before as being from Lille, France, 1972.  I thought from the setlist in the first set that it might be a Europe show, I asked the Soundboard guy and he said yes it was but would not give me the show (of course) so Nick went to work and found it before the second set.

I told him how much I was craving a 80's show that night in Louisville.....so when we went  to Evansville and I was thinking after the first few songs that I might know the show. I then remembered the Jack Straw Franklins and told Nick that it might be a Spectrum show, Nick looked it up and bingo there it was. Anyway, DSO crushed it..

The band was so reenergized after Jerry's coma/comeback, and I took some good friends to their first show, they were blown away...

Bobby was really on point, all of them, Brent, Phil check the tapes...I love the energy of these shows, and I was there, they were hot hot hot...

Good morning everybody,

what a great 3 show run!!!!  YAhoo that was fun---must say best show of the 3 was Evansville for me--the crowd was great and the music was on fire!!!!

Rudedogggg----I think I was sitting right next to you it sounds like---did you wear shorts to the show? I was the guy front row on your left side if you were in your seats--- I had a Jerry shirt on with his hand print on back and I was wearing a hat--- I saw this "tall thin guy" you always say look for this guy and you were getting down---what a great show---I should have said "hello" being this sounds like you?

Thanks for a great time everybody!!!! 

front row in front of stage----had to deal with security telling us to move back----nope on girl name---she came with a friend of mine that I meat at show---his name is Zac--they sat right behind rudedoggg---you wear glasses? Guy up front right next to me had glasses on---kinda short and stocky? could that be you? 

• Forum MVP
On 4/3/2017 at 4:37 PM, rudedogggg said:

Yup that was me-  tal and thin with shorts dancing balls out ;). Anything 50 degrees and up and I'm in shorts.  

Dude, get some longer shorts !!

and maybe consider wearing something other than boxers when exercising.  🙄

• Forum MVP
13 minutes ago, PoetryGirl said:

Dude, get some longer shorts !!

and maybe consider wearing something other than boxers when exercising.  🙄

LOL.  I just realized that didnt sound right at all.  I wear boxer briefs.  I dont want the jewels to get banged up.

Archived