Oxford, MS

topher44

Anxious to here any reports regarding last night's show in Mississippi. Having just been in that state visiting friends near Jackson (and coming through the experience unscathed),  I am wondering if DSO attracted many heads in Oxford, especially on a Monday night. I have never been to Oxford, but my friends advised me that since that is where "Ole Miss" is located (college town), it would probably be the only place in the state that would agree to host anything related to the GD. After all, the Dead only played in Mississippi once, and that was at an outdoor festival with other bands back in 1980!

• Forum MVP

The Lyric Oxford MS. 

1st Set : Promised Land, Deal, Looks Like Rain, They Love Each Other, Mexicali Blues, Box of Rain, Cumberland Blues, Candyman, Beat it on Down the Line, Don't Ease Me In, El Paso, Row Jimmy, The Race is On, Birdsong, Playin in the Band.

2 hrs 23 minutes  

2nd Set : China Cat Sunflower, I Know you Rider, Jack Straw, Wave that Flag, Greatest Story Ever Told, Truckin, Eyes of the World, Not Fade Away, Goin Down the Road and Feelin Bad, One more Saturday Night.  
Encore :Let Me Sing Those Blues Away  

1 hr 44 minutes. 

Listing was songs only and did not specify -> transitions - off Facebrain

• Forum MVP

Ive only see DSO do more than 4 hours once and it was I think a 74 1 drummer in Lexington that went like 4:20.  I think they are saying you have to make them all.  They definitely dont discriminate on what city gets what show.  A tiny bar in idaho could get an insane 69 show.  Also they may not have had a firm hard curfew like many venues in bigger cities.

That being said, no 69 have been played this tour and raleigh and charlotte could be prime targets.  On a plane in 19 hours woot!!

"Looks like Mississippi got treated to quite the chunky '73." -

Indeed, and the lucky folks at the Lyric last night must have been blissfully tired by the end of the long night! 

"They definitely don't discriminate on what city gets what show.  A tiny bar in idaho could get an insane 69 show." -

So true, Rude. Some out-of-the-way places get treated to monstrous shows. Would still like to get a review of this one...

• Forum MVP

Come on, honey, lemme sing em away, come on, honey, lemme sing em away, oh, honey, lemme sing those blues away!!!!! Give me a lil of that old time love, cause I ain't never had near enough......!!!!!! 

So ready for tomorrow! Thanks for setlist!

just landed in Charlotte. Beautiful to watch as plane crossed the Mississippi and the square settlements turned into lazy river roads on Appalachian mtn bliss. I never thought I would be so happy to be in the south. But I am beyond that. Went and put my forehead on the green grass right away..... grateful to be back where I belong. Maybe don't run off no more..... :)

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, Supplicated Velvet Thunder said:

Come on, honey, lemme sing em away, come on, honey, lemme sing em away, oh, honey, lemme sing those blues away!!!!! Give me a lil of that old time love, cause I ain't never had near enough......!!!!!! 

So ready for tomorrow! Thanks for setlist!

just landed in Charlotte. Beautiful to watch as plane crossed the Mississippi and the square settlements turned into lazy river roads on Appalachian mtn bliss. I never thought I would be so happy to be in the south. But I am beyond that. Went and put my forehead on the green grass right away..... grateful to be back where I belong. Maybe don't run off no more..... :)

Is that Phil on lead vocals on that track? I've always wondered, as the vocals sound different than most all others in the GD catalogue.

• Forum MVP
3 minutes ago, acududeman said:

Is that Phil on lead vocals on that track? I've always wondered, as the vocals sound different than most all others in the GD catalogue.

Ain't that one of the only Keith songs?!?!? Oh yeah :)

i ONLY know this from going to DSO shows lol

but they sure fucked me up trying to know what was Dead and what was Jerry Band- I still get confused cause seen so many DSO original sets ;)

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Supplicated Velvet Thunder said:

Ain't that one of the only Keith songs?!?!? Oh yeah :)

i ONLY know this from going to DSO shows lol

but they sure fucked me up trying to know what was Dead and what was Jerry Band- I still get confused cause seen so many DSO original sets ;)

If it's Keith on lead vocals that would explain my confusion.....interesting!

• Forum MVP

1st time heard DSO do this was 1st time I heard it either. I was like what's this Keith show with him singing. I was all confused. Good song. Can tell it's not a hunter/Barlow tune 

• Forum MVP
33 minutes ago, ducats said:

Wake of the Flood.  Only played a half dozen times or so in a two week period Fall 73 - I believe.

always loved the tune but sounded a little  Beach Boys to me

What about that one that goes, "remember, that the only time is now," THAT one really sounds like The Beach Boys!!! Every time I hear it I think, "wow, this band sounds like the Dead before they got high enough," and then realize it IS GD!!!! Lmao

too country sounding to be beach boys ;) I guess I know this song super well from Rob always singing it in DSO and I've caught it on many tours and runs and it is hands down one of my fave jiggle wiggle dance tunes.... always sings my blues away!!! I really like the breakdown about good luck.... always heard, "when I was a young man, I needed good love, I'm a little bit older now..." and have always thought it was an inside Dead joke bout good lovin not being enough when u get older....... mistaken lyrics taken too far hehehe

• Forum MVP

I thought that Keith wrote that song himself possibly for Donna. It doesn't seem at all like a hunter song. Sort of simplistic for hunter. I love it when baracco plays it. Fun song. 

Archived