Charleston 4/18

PoetryGirl

Set One: Feel Like A Stranger ; Quinn The Eskino ; Me And My Uncle > Cumberland Blues ; Catfish John ; Black Throated Wind ; Tennessee Jed ; Strange Man ; To Lay Me Down ; The Music Never Stopped 

Set Two: Man Smart (Woman Smarter) ; The Night They Drive Old Dixie Down ; Uncle John's Band > Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > drums > space > Dark Star > Unbroken Chain > Death Don't Have No Mercy > Sugar Magnolia 

Encore: Werewolves Of London

• Forum MVP

Different versions. Kinda similar to GD doing a version of Heaven's Door compared to JGB. I would have been grateful getting a Dixie Down after a Women R Smarter opener. nothing against WAS, just kinda rote for me and Dixie gets down to the that gold ring deep inside. Really want to make this DSO experience more than just reading lists and writing on the forum; however, life is getting more about working than getting to shows. peace

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, John A said:

rude,

Check out the Dixie on the new Garcia Live Milwaukee '91 release.  His guitar solo is game over, and the vocal delivery is also striking. 

I was going to post about this version. It is quintessential "Dixie Down" from that period and the way the keys wail just captures the agony I think these people felt over what was happening. It moves the depths of my heart.  Jerry lets the silence hang ever so perfectly- capturing the brevity of the situation - like the set of Tennessee William's "Glass Menagerie" fire escape out of the Wingfield tennement apartment  leading to nowhere the audience can see. his voice is ripe with a plaintive song.  I have heard the stories of "reconstruction". Columbia SC looked like Charleston before Sherman's troops burned it to the ground after the mayor gave them the keys to the city. The asylums were full - people suffering malnutrition- it was pellagra. I guess they really didn't have a good economic way to support themselves, especially after all the horses, mules were taken except the ones hidden- like in a ravine in Union county. It was never a war to be won. SC just wanted out of the contract and the Feds out of the habour. In 1820 per capita there was $80k per person in 1995 $$. 5 million against 21 million was insane.   4 years of tactical brains only lasted so long against the superior numbers, factories and rifles. Luckily my people came back. 1862 to Cobb's legion out of GA at Gettysburg to Appomattox courthouse. 2nd Calvary 1862  to Old Church in 1864. And the other was in the western field and escaped Chickamaugua, leaving only half his leg. 

Wow, my first DSO show, and this was awesome, from start to finish the vibe was so real, but the second set was hot.  It was hilarious, the first five rows were all dancing off during WAS.  Then Dixie, I was coming to tears, being a true Southerner, SCV, etc, and in Charleston no doubt, and as I am closing my eyes to dance the guy behind me mutters "I guess this is time to take a nap."  I burst out laughing.  Now THAT was the sign this was so like a real dead show, all the full range of emotions, all real, and all good vibes and excellent music.  UJB was ok, but after that was perfect: Lost Saint Drumz Dark Star Unbroken was some of the best 60 minutes I have heard live, ever.  Great job.  Ready to go on tour.  Too bad I have to work!  

Archived