Railroad Earth Added to the Jubilee

Don McGurrin

• Forum MVP
7 minutes ago, Mason's Child said:

I'm not a lover of bluegrass.

I hear you.  While I like bluegrass fine, I certainly don't love it,  That said, any serious bluegrass freak will be quick to point out the RR Earth ain't bluegrass.  Look no further than the drum set. 

Interesting aside on Bluegrass:  In the new Dead documentary (I haven't seen it but a friend saw it at the Castro Theatre when it screened there last week), one of the characters is Jerry's first serious girlfriend, Barbara Meier.  (They rekindled briefly in '92-'93.) Apparently she states that she broke up with Jerry when he started getting seriously into bluegrass, because she couldn't stand it.  Take that, bluegrass fans!  :P

• Forum MVP

There is good bluegrass and then there is that twangy ear screaming dribble. There is good taste and there is missing the mark and then there is missing the whole picture completely. Bluegrass is as varied as rock n roll.   

I love some McCoury Bros. 

• Forum MVP

I'll need to finally sew that Rail Road Earth patch on the left arm of my denim jacket. The right arm has has a DSO patch for many years.   I love RRE.  Last fall, Derick and I shared a few beers with Tim, the fiddle player, before sound check at Variety Playhouse.

Peace and Love and "Blame it on the Train"

Doc

• Forum MVP

I'm not as big a fan of traditional bluegrass.  I am a bit more partial to RRE, The Infamous Stringdusters, Leftover Salmon, and Sierra Hull :wub:  I guess this is 'NewGrass.'

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, PoetryGirl said:

I love some McCoury Bros. 

Del McCoury and his boys may just be the gold standard for 21st Century Bluegrass.  Never thought I'd see Del's boys doing Had The World To Give, however.  :o

Ronnie McCoury tells a good story of meeting Jerry backstage (Spring '91 in Landover) because he had a banjo Jerry wanted to buy.  Del arranged the meeting.  As Ronnie tells it, they met in Jerry's dressing room and Jerry became super animated as Jerry and Del started sharing old stories about the early 60s and Bill Monroe.  Then Ronnie requested that Jerry play Cold Rain & Snow.  It was Bobby's turn to open that night, but sure enough after Feel Like A Stranger Jerry launched right into Cold Rain!

• Forum MVP

I have huge respect and appreciation for the traditional bluegrass genre but it's more the kind of music that I can appreciate while turning it on the stereo while drinking a beer and fixing some dinner on a sunny spring evening. 

For live music, I find RRE, with the rock beat of the drum kit, to be more fun, fluid, danceable, and stony jammy rather than traditional bluegrass. 

Hard to know how Jerry's music would have unfolded without the thick influence of bluegrass...

Archived