Exploring Cornell ‘77

Michael Doc Watson

• Forum MVP

Good article posted today on Jam Base site.  Talks of Dead history, a DSO show, and the upcoming release of the May '77 shows.

"Grateful Dead Mysteries Dark And Vast: Exploring Cornell ‘77"

https://www.jambase.com/article/grateful-dead-mysteries-dark-vast-exploring-cornell-7

• Forum MVP

Weird reasoning on why that 70 show was a curious choice.  Trump was just elected and DSO recreated a show from year 2 of nixons presidency?  Huh?  Plus he googled the show after a few songs. Faux pas imo. 

3 hours ago, rudedogggg said:

Weird reasoning on why that 70 show was a curious choice.  Trump was just elected and DSO recreated a show from year 2 of nixons presidency?  Huh?  Plus he googled the show after a few songs. Faux pas imo. 

Exactly what I was thinking, like what have trump or Nixon even regardless of year have to do with a 70's recreation? I also wonder how many people really google an early setlist, while I was reading that i was in public and kinda to myself but aloud I said fuckin cheater some people kinda gave me this what's wrong with him look. 

• Forum MVP

I believe the author was doing research and wanted to couch the show in the era.  Both this January and 1970 have social unrest with political state of the nation and its policies. The Grateful Dead aligned itself with certain ideologies and those might serve as inspiration for the show song selection outside of purely personal taste or circumstance.   I think the author was very complementary of the show and DSO 'a "energetic rendition"; "I was on the edge of my seat asking the question, 'How could Barton Hall possibly compare to the power of this 1970s show?' ". However,  I don't think Rob Eaton is Bobby's clone in mannerisms, although his voice can be eerily spot on. That clone idea is just weird, not Weir'd.

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

I think the author was very complementary of the show and DSO 'a "energetic rendition"

Complementary is a understatement - he concluded that DSO played the show better than the Dead originally did.  Hmmm.....

Archived