Dark Star Jubilee

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forum MVP

Saturday was THEE night. Good weather, great show! Rob was in full on Pig mode. There was definitely a festive atmosphere post show, I may have slept 3 hours and when I ventured out around 7:30 it appeared that a large percentage didn't sleep at all

• Forum MVP
8 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

it!...

Really a top ranking jubilee for me in so many ways. At the top of the list is the music! Three just sinister nights of something for every taste in the crowd. Thankfully for me, a healthy dose of early numbers in the 2nd sets of first two nights. Capping it with 5-28-77, shit, nuthin left to say. Except I love the people at jubilee and folks from this forum, you make the time so much more special.

• Forum MVP

Happy Birthday bubble maker! Your bubbles made yesterday special. We made our own. Some ran through the stream like fish in the filter bubbles surfing. It was a great hippie bath. The driftin bubbles were like being under the sea. Hanging in the aquarium  

Had to leave after the 1st set Sunday (lots to do Monday morning).  Saw that there was a lot of rain on the way, according to the radar.  Did that rain come, and if so, how hard?  Sunday was supposed to be the bad weather day, but it wasn't bad all at, unless it finally came during set 2.

GREAT shows though.  Loved all the old stuff the first two nights. 

On 5/29/2017 at 6:19 PM, Mason's Child said:

If that caution didn't make you want to fuck I'm not sure you like sex. Hell it was so great I'm sure some single guys had to take the next step up from pocket pool. 

I think I've heard you say something to this effect at one time or another for nearly all of their tunes MC

• Forum MVP

I find that offensive JJ. Looks like rain. Wharf Rat. Morning Dew. None of these songs elicit sexual or sensual responses. But yes some other songs do. I can name a few shows in particular that took this feeling to the next level. This caution was there. There was also a night at the capitol. We got king bee and love light that night. 70s recreation 

3 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

I find that offensive JJ. Looks like rain. Wharf Rat. Morning Dew. None of these songs elicit sexual or sensual responses. But yes some other songs do. I can name a few shows in particular that took this feeling to the next level. This caution was there. There was also a night at the capitol. We got king bee and love light that night. 70s recreation 

Well I hope that you realize that poking fun without offending is my true intent.

• Forum MVP

Good gracious this train jumped the rail on Saturday. I believe there were several trains jumping the tracks. 

It was like - yes, we will build it, it will be good, we will drive the shit of it and if we crash, then tomorrow we will build a better train and drive the shit out of it again. ha-HA! 

18 minutes ago, Mason's Child said:

I knew your intent JJ. Just pointing out the holes in the dilemma. This music can make me horny but also sad exuberant melancholy. The whole array it's so beautiful. I was never offended. 

I know and well said.  This music is truly capable of tapping into every emotion we have.  And for me the emotions that get tapped into often change or expand based on my experience and situation in life.

Here's my brief recap...

Other than the storm that blew through Friday night, the weather was perfect. Sunny during the day and perfectly cool at night. A brief drizzle during set 2 sunday, but nothing much at all.

the event runs so smooth. my 3rd and possibly the best. I stay offsite so don't have any camping info.

music was incredible. some of the best dso I've heard. friday and saturday were elective set lists and were both original and on fire. 
the friday other one and saturday dark star was insane. really inspired playing and hitting all the spots perfectly. tons of patience and letting the jams go where they needed.
I could gush on and on about each song, but it was just one big highlight.

Sunday was the expected 5/28/77 and was played _perfectly_. More jamming in estimated and playing than anticipated. sugaree and not fade away may have been the most energetic of the night.

I really liked the lineup. not the best greensky set I've seen but...oh well. hot tuna acoustic and electric were fantastic! I was happy to hear both twiddle and tauk but neither did much for me. It's obvious song writing is becoming a lost art. both could play well and had a good sound, but are missing 'songs'.

Drank a suitcase of Founders all-day ipa, a sixer of Rhinegeist and a couple crowlers of Buckeye Lake porter. The BYOB component is awesome!!!!

I love this event so much. Completely worth the trip out from California. Can't wait till next time!

• Forum MVP
On 5/27/2017 at 1:43 PM, Island Bro said:

Good lookin' kickoff! I heard there might have been some King Solomon's Marbles tucked into that second set?

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2013/12/eyes-of-world-field-guide-guest-post.html?m=1 

interesting discussion on Eyes. It most frequently paired with Other One  and Truckin in 73/74 (11/13) until paired with Estimated in 77 with which it was played 172.  Also 73-76 saw Eyes ->Stella 10 times. 

The coda: 

Some have compared this coda to the similar “Stronger Than Dirt” section of "King Solomon’s Mines" from Blues for Allah, but it is a different riff. (On August 13, 1975, an actual “Stronger Than Dirt” follows “Eyes.”) Others have compared the coda to "Slipknot!" Interestingly, on June 20, 1974, the coda segued into an early version of “Slipknot!” and then into "China Doll."

😆

It has been months since I've posted.  What a long strange trip...

I had been in a situational depression for days when Thursday rolled around. I had changed my mind a few times and resigned myself to wallow in self pity when Mango called and I said fuck this crap, stay on the phone while I pack. Packed in 4 minuets and walk out the door not knowing how I would swing the weekend $ .  I get by with a little help from my friends... This community is full of love and healing vibes...  Arrive and set up vip camping trying to rise up from the emotional wreckage of my heart. Had a nice talk with a soulful woman (thank you PG) that put my spirit in the right place. Night one ... Help on the Way was just perfect for my state of mind. Slipnot franklins I started to really let lose. Feel like stranger was never a favorite of mine but was perfect when one feels a stranger to oneself... Run for roses.. Can I leave her standing there? I could not but had to... Expressway was flowing like water in the night. Corrine funk beat to put the funkiness of life in its proper perspective. TANGLED UP IN BLUE was the accumulation of all I had been feeling. I danced, grinned ear to ear and laughed all while frantically dancing away my blues... At one point something popped in my thigh but could not stop until I hit the rug. I made it to a chair but was not out for the count. I got up and finished the set.  Set2...  Box of rain. Can I find direction around some corner? Feel my way like the day or lifetimes before...  Can I make it clear through to another day? Seen through the eyes of other lives I've escaped..

Mans World brought me back from a world revolving around the love of a woman... Cryptical is a constant reminder that we all have to die, sometimes to live again in this lifetime. This always puts things in proper perspective. Powerful other one. Eyes reconfirms that I am in my right mind and that all I need to do is live no particular way but my own... The rest of night one was spent nursing my leg listening to the beauty that dso brings to us all...

night 2.  At the first notes of CHIMES OF FREEDOM I bolted to the stage and Lisa delivered the most soulful powerful singing that was the catharsis of all I have lived... My emotional experiences of a life overcoming heartache too personal to tell, the law,  the outcast that society labels me, the aching that cannot be healed, and the strung out one and worse... THANK YOU LISA !!!!!!! 

After Chimes nothing could be added to my 2017 jubilee experience.....

1 hour ago, cnjBrian said:

... I had changed my mind a few times and resigned myself to wallow in self pity when Mango called and I said fuck this crap, stay on the phone while I pack...

After Chimes nothing could be added to my 2017 jubilee experience.....

So glad you made it!