Dark Star Jubilee

• Forum MVP

The setlists were incredibly crafted and the music just followed suit! It was such a fun, lovely Jubilee celebration. Thank you all who put it together and made it happen. Still floating on a sunshine daydream. Just when you think it can't get any better !! I love it when I am surprised like that. Ha!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forum MVP

This was to me the 2nd best weather of all the jubilees. My weather rank of the jubilees. 

1.  2015 was as perfect as weather could be. 75 highs and Low 50s as the lows. Perfect for camping.  

2. 2017. A tad warm at night trying to sleep. The rain didn't make much of a negative impact as I got in the car during the downfall post show and jammed tunes. Overall as good as you can really ask for. 

3. 2014. Finally we had good weather. After the previous year, I think I was overprepared bringing thermals, coat, sock hat, gloves.  You didn't have to go into hibernation post show like the previous 2 years.  

4. 2012. Besides rain as soon as the bands ended and DSO night 3 cut short it was awesome. Note I had a huge tent and could hang out in it. Plus it made me get sleep with nothing else to do. And it felt like our own private fest with the couple hundred who showed up at the stage.  Unfortunately I didn't know the people I know now or half of the people at the stage for DSO would have been friends. 

5.  2016.  It was just way too hot. Several at our camp were so fatigued from the heat packing in it made it rough. Plus it had been so cold all spring this was a jolt to the system. At night it was just too hot to sleep. 

6.  2013. The ice bowl. Once you got cold you stayed cold. People weren't prepared. Was the 2nd straight year of no activity after the music ended.  I was so cold I couldn't dance as that would create wind chill on me. I huddled up and did a shiver dance. Definitely the most subdued I've seen jubilee dancing. 

PG and I have done good. Brought our significants into the music fold and are now to the point that they can let loose with abandon ;)  I remember both early on. Little dancing. Not sure if this was their scene. Now we can't hold them back and they are the ones suggesting excursions.  I think I've brought around 12 people to their 1st DSO show and those have cumulatively seen around 150 shows to this point. I need to recruit an MC type to shoot up my numbers on this pyramid scheme. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

First and foremost, let me thank the DSO band, crew, and production team for delivering such a quality and well run music festival.  The crew and band work overtime here not just putting on shows at night, but also participating in various side projects of theirs throughout the day.  I love these guys for all they do for us.  I know it’s a labor of love for them, but at times labor is just labor.  I want all of you to know I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

A quick note to Taper Ron: We may not want to do away with the review sections.  I like the introduction of place to discuss venues and shows before they happen, but I’m not sure the same place will serve well for post show discussion.  Maybe we just need an adjustment period.  This is your world and we just living in it.  Either way I’ll make it do what it do.

The Jubilee like Jamaica, Black Mountain, and Penns Peak to name a few is a must do event for me.  I had to strongly consider skipping this years event due to some unfortunate but once again, it became Jubilee or bust.  There are just too many friends, laughs, and smiles for me not to come and that doesn’t even mention the music.  The sound system here is topnotch and DSO never disappoints here at there festival.  One may argue they never disappoint period, but here at the Jubilee I feel like DSO delivers just a little bit more than their average.  They certainly bring their A game.  This year would be no exception.   After seeing the set list for the Wilmington, DE show I could not attend.  I must admit I was down a bit we might not get any Pigpen here at the Jubilee.  I must thank Rob Eaton and all others who had their hand in the construction of the set lists for the Jubilee.  The were masterfully constructed and the contrast from set one to set two on the first two nights was strikingly beautiful.  Both nights consisted of an 80s style set opener with a Pigpen era 2nd set.  We got plenty of Pigpen.  It overflowed my cup and the 80s stuff was played off the charts too.  

Help on the way Slipknot! Franklins Tower Feel like a stranger Must've been the roses Cassidy Expressway Mississippi half step Corinna Tangled up in blue

I’ve said it before and I will say it again.  Help Slip Franklins very may well be the best way to open a show.  The energy is off the charts.  The crowd is forced into a heavy get down right away.  Most people at the show even those that tend to other pleasures sometimes generally lock in and dance for this particular segment.  The crowd participation in the music and the song takes us to higher places.  During Help on the Way, I felt the music creates new pathways of creative movement throughout my body.  I can feel myself even now returning to the idea that without love in the dream it will never come true and all that that entails.  It’s beyond powerful.  It’s terrifying, it’s enriching, it’s healing, it’s motivating, it’s awe inspiring, it’s really not describable as the emotions come in waves as the connection grows.  So was the music here.  Dark Star delivered this opening segment with such control and precision, but forceful and wild at the same time.  The music was truly rolling away the Dew.  My schedule got fucked and I didn’t get to sleep the night before, but that didn’t matter none as the music fueled me.  The stranger was funky and silky and sexy – just what you’d expect.  DSO crushed this big sound 80s song with that state of the art sound system.  Cotter, band and crew really deliver here at the Jubilee.  The sound production is top notch.  I slow dance to the Roses.  Catch my breath feel in the connection and remind myself that it’s not a secret that I won’t tell to another that your own lips told to me.  It’s the love you shared with me.  Expressway made it clear it was an elective.  A few in the crowd had to ask the name of that tune.  Clearly, it is kind of a DSO rarity.  It was performed brilliantly.  I love dancing to half step.  I have a certain two step back while I spin most I do during across the Rio Grande that I love.  It slower, but still maintains a very serious dance groove for me.  However, the dance party erupts again during Corinna.  I’m still not crazy about this song. It carries no meaning for me.  Its fancy throwaway, but the dance groove DSO laying down with Corinna as the vehicle is heavy in the funk.  If you can listen to that and not want to move your feet, I’m not sure you can hear right.  It’s great fun to dance to and I know many others feel that way about it.  Some feel even more strongly to the positive about it than me.  They rave about it.  Tangled was a great way to finish the set.  Jeff and DSO always get us smiling and twirling during that number.

Box of rain It's a mans world Cryptical envelopment The other one Eyes of the world Drums Going Down the Road Death don't have no mercy Viola lee blues ---- Golden road to unlimited devotion

This set very much hit home with me on a deep personal level.  I’ve stopped crying every time they play Box as I’ve shared with you, but I still go through deep thoughts of my dad.  Currently, I have deep thoughts of my grandfather.  He took a turn for the better, but is looking at weeks hopefully months to live.  Here, at Jubilee, I thought deeply of my father and smiled in his memory.  Cryptical always hits hard.  The lyrics though few are very powerful if you listen closely.  They scare me they haunt me, but they fuel me.  They provide the basis for why I had to get on the bus.  Now many would consider me to be a starship captain of a my own bus.  I’ve smiled on a cloudy day, but I just keep on going back to never land.  We will just keep hanging with Peter Pan, eating fairy dust, and fighting captain hook.  The Eyes of the world was a great way to break the intensity and power of cryptical other one.  I don’t even feel like the energy level goes down at all.  It just takes on a more positive outlook and smoother dance energy.  The fury inside you calms down and you reattach yourself to the light inside of you, which allows you to attach yourself to the light around you.  I use drums for a smoke break and dance reprieve.  The highlight of the show may have been Death Don’t.  The weather we had been warned about slowly started to move in.  The rain began to fall.  I once again thought heavy of my father.  This time I did allow myself to enter that sacred place of sadness where the world disappears and I forget the need to appear strong.  The tears trickle down my face and I do nothing to compose myself.  I bask in the love and in the loss.  It washes over me.  It provides healing and its serves to strengthen a love that isn’t gone, but has only grown.  He will not be forgotten.  By viola lee it was pouring. The viola was perfect to end the first night here in Ohio for me.  All I have to do at the Jubilee is look around and I know that I got a friend somewhere.  More to come….Thanks for reading… Love is real.

On 6/14/2017 at 11:17 AM, Mason's Child said:

A quick note to Taper Ron: We may not want to do away with the review sections.  I like the introduction of place to discuss venues and shows before they happen, but I’m not sure the same place will serve well for post show discussion.  Maybe we just need an adjustment period.  This is your world and we just living in it.  Either way I’ll make it do what it do.

Hey Mason,

It's not my world, It is OUR WORLD.  I try to make it interesting and informative as well as easy to navigate.  I often fall short of my goal!  I do appreciate Suggestions and Constructive criticism.

Admittedly, I jumped the gun setting it up.  I wanted to get it up and running before the Summer Tour as I started adding events I encountered a number of problems.  I have also gotten concerns from others (Thank You Poetry Girl & Rudedogggg!)  I have setup a test forum on another server and I am working on a new format for that forum that I think / Hope will be a little more user friendly.

I am also working on something new for the Video System, it's lack of use has been really disappointing.  I guess I need to explain new features and there there use before springing them on you- not my strong suit.

Suggestions WELCOME!

Edited by Taper Ron
Posted before I was finished!!
  • Forum MVP

Thanks for the reply Ron. I'm glad you view it as our world. I try to keep that mentality myself but if you get in my car it may be our world but it's my car. It's not a democracy. Every ship needs it captain. You are the captain of this ship. I appreciate that you listen but you are judge jury and executioner. You haven't steered us wrong before. I trust that you'll continue to steer us right going forward. 

• Forum MVP

Im adding a contribute button to me. I feel like I'm just giving away life secrets that I should save for my book. All celebs write a tell all at one point.  Mine will me like Did she use spam for deodorant one time. I remember the time he accidentally ate a 3 xanax right before the show thinkinh they were mints. Plus other tips like how to not smell like dirty balls after 4 days of camping. I'll answer that one now. U can't.  My book is full of great stuff. Just finding the proper ghost writer.