The Wilbur, Boston, MA

e pluribus unum

A rip-roaring snorting bull of a show. May 18, 1972 in its entirety 45 years later to the date. Kongressaal, Deutsches Museum in Munich. Last time DSO performed at this venue they pulled an equally well-fed rabbit out of another equally glittery hat, performing the Boston Tea Party 12-30-69 show only a mile or so from where the original venue was located (Landsdowne St. near Fenway Park). This is my first post on this site but have seen DSO maybe eight or so times stretching back to at least 2000. The two most recent Wilbur shows were jaw-dropping and pitch-perfect. I just want to mention something David Lemieux was quoted as saying in Relix:  

And then there are those evenings, such as Munich on May 18 when Jerry Garcia put aside his guitar and moved to organ for portions of “Good Lovin.”

“It’s pretty wild to hear. It’s just absolutely so different than anything Pigpen would ever do, not to mention there’s no lead guitar happening. Then they go into the crescendo of the song and Jerry comes back onto the guitar. I’d heard it before and I thought, ‘Here’s Pig playing this cheesy little organ part.’ But it’s really Jerry and it’s not cheesy, it’s because Jerry’s not an organ player, he’s a lead guitarist. It just shows how much fun they were having.”

This was not replicated tonight, however, it was as satisfying a performance that this reviewer has ever seen this band turn in.

Happy trails! Peace and love from Boston!!

Truckin'
Sugaree
Mr. Charlie
Jack Straw
Tennessee Jed
Chinatown Shuffle
Black Throated Wind
China Cat Sunflower >
I Know You Rider
El Paso
Hurts Me Too
You Win Again
Playing in the Band
Good Lovin'
Casey Jones

Sitting on Top Of The World
Me and My Uncle
Ramble On Rose
Beat it on Down the Line
Dark Star >
Morning Dew >
drums >
Sugar Magnolia

Sing Me Back Home
One More Saturday Night

The band was rocking hard last night. Lisa had the crowd going nuts with her harp solo during Hurts Me Too and Jeff's slide lead afterward was down and dirty. Playin and Dark Star had some heavy duty psychedelic sections and the Morning Dew and Sing Me Back Home were sweet and satisfying. My buddy's first time seeing anything Dead related in concert and was blown away. Place was sold out, hot and packed and left soaked in sweat! Great time on a Thursday night.

Here we go again, how to put thoughts and emotions to words after a show like this.

As usual these great DSO shows will move me to tears. In this case I wasn't expecting to feel that way during the explorations of Playing in the Band. There was something about this show, a laser beam focus wrapping a stellar 72 setlist into a sonic journey that went right to the heart. Launching with Truckin and all the way through. At times it felt you could see the energy physically swirling in and around the band. After China Cat where could the show go from there? But it does, and then Skip and band take Dark Star and Morning Dew to another dimension. Don't know how DSO does that, doesn't seem possible but certainly is real! Amazing from the entire band. Have said several times, what a gift to have this music in our lives. Thank you band and crew. Was joking with friends we should retire after this show, it was that good. Now time to line up Hampton Beach.

The only negative is that this show may not be heard again. :o  Does not having an organ count the show as part-elective?! Maybe sold out shows require a published recording?! 

Speaking of sold out, possible data point? Pre-announce possibility for a great era and ...

DSOSoldOut.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived