Terrapin Station
Playin' in the Band
Uncle John's Band
drums
The Wheel
China Doll
Playin' in the Band 

Strange Man

Band was rocking from start to finish. Great sound, lights and crowd. The highlights for me were Passenger and Lisa's staggering, powerhouse, heartfelt rendition of Strange Man, which was one of the best vocal performances of any song I have ever seen by any band, ever. 

• Forum MVP
Just now, John A said:

While the concept of a "best show" is probably silly (take THAT Barton Hall!) there's nothing wrong with having a "favorite show".  So with that said, 5-19-77 is my favorite Dead show. 

So true, John.  

Given the evolution of the band through different sounds, instruments, players, skills acquired, technology, venues, addictions, buzzes, and aging; there is clearly no way to declare a "best" anything - show or song played.  Too subjective.

Something about one man gathers what another man spills.

I sometimes tinker around on the Heady Version site.  Love soaking in everyone's opinions.  That place is also exhibit A for this topic of "no way to choose a best", and the Scarlet/Fire thread there is chief among those, imo.  

So anyhoo, were you fortunate enough to see this DSO show of your favorite show last night?  Sorry, it wasn't clear to me from your post.

The jam at the end of terrapin almost made me piss myself I was going so crazy, last night will be hard to top, that was a beautiful show start to finish. Love the wheel. Although I do feel a gem coming tonight. I def wouldn't mind The Other One somewhere second set, that's usually when I lose my mind. I feel the need for some heavy bass that TOO can fulfill. 

1977 was an amazing year...I just listened to 5-26-77...amazing show...I'm partial to Fall 77...Garcia's tone on the Wolf was just exactly perfect...And he was loud! 10/29/77 is a flat out monster show. Pounding drums..a couple bass solos, and a slow juicy Eyes...

Last night was a scorcher. Me & my crew were posted up front center as usual. We were pretty certain they were going to do the 77 show. The sugaree was a absolute face melter! The Loser was just insane. As the band played on it just got better & louder. Sound in The Cap is stellar especially when compared to The Space. Makes me laugh how they designed perfect theaters back before we had all this "technology".All the songs were done to perfection. I doubt the band ever reads the blog but.. thanks DSO for carrying the torch, you guys bring an enormous amount of fun & pleasure to a lot of people's lives. 

• Forum MVP
3 minutes ago, THE CHILD said:

Last night was a scorcher. Me & my crew were posted up front center as usual. We were pretty certain they were going to do the 77 show. The sugaree was a absolute face melter! The Loser was just insane. As the band played on it just got better & louder. Sound in The Cap is stellar especially when compared to The Space. Makes me laugh how they designed perfect theaters back before we had all this "technology".All the songs were done to perfection. I doubt the band ever reads the blog but.. thanks DSO for carrying the torch, you guys bring an enormous amount of fun & pleasure to a lot of people's lives. 

Some members do, some don't. Congrats on experiencing an amazing show and thanks for sharing! 

• Forum MVP

No I was not there.  Did DSO start Uncle John's with "wo-oh what I want to know is how does the song go?" prior to launching into the first official bars? Totally awe inspiring moment in the original version.

Just now, John A said:

No I was not there.  Did DSO start Uncle John's with "wo-oh what I want to know is how does the song go?" prior to launching into the first official bars? Totally awe inspiring moment in the original version.

Yep, out of Playin, they played into the UJB outro jam, the vocal "whoa-oh, what I want to know-oh, how does the song go", then played the opening chords to the song. 

• Forum MVP
On 5/20/2017 at 3:20 PM, THE CHILD said:

It's a catch 22. Theaters have much better sound but generally they still have seats. If it's not a packed theater and I can find a handicap row to hog, it's usually an epic night. The opera houses are the king of sound and they are usually the oldest. 

• Forum MVP

rude - spot on about the oldest halls being the best.  The Musikverein in Vienna is reputed to be the finest sounding concert hall on earth.  It opened in 1870, and it's essentially shaped like a shoe box. (Personal note:  David Wilson of Wilson Audio has spent quite a bit of time there trying to digest why it's so special in the hopes of gaining insight on his loudspeaker design.)

hallMusikverein.jpg

On 5/20/2017 at 1:34 PM, sonomajon said:

1977 was an amazing year...I just listened to 5-26-77...amazing show...I'm partial to Fall 77...Garcia's tone on the Wolf was just exactly perfect...And he was loud! 10/29/77 is a flat out monster show. Pounding drums..a couple bass solos, and a slow juicy Eyes...

You are correct sir! Dekalb! I saw 6 shows at the Uptown in 1978 and they were all fantastic, but Dekalb was ridiculous. Dekalb is Tied for first with me along with Missoula Montana 74. That 74 Spring Northwest Tour was sick.

On 5/20/2017 at 10:54 AM, DesertDead said:

So true, John.  

Given the evolution of the band through different sounds, instruments, players, skills acquired, technology, venues, addictions, buzzes, and aging; there is clearly no way to declare a "best" anything - show or song played.  Too subjective.

Something about one man gathers what another man spills.

I sometimes tinker around on the Heady Version site.  Love soaking in everyone's opinions.  That place is also exhibit A for this topic of "no way to choose a best", and the Scarlet/Fire thread there is chief among those, imo.  

So anyhoo, were you fortunate enough to see this DSO show of your favorite show last night?  Sorry, it wasn't clear to me from your post.

A definite thanx for the heady hook up it's like a treasure trove went there next thing i know it's 5am the wife yelling at me saying you need a Dr you have a dead disease i go not now babe I'm in the niddle of best jack straw throws up her arms said fuck it i quite 

• Forum MVP
13 hours ago, helpfrankslip said:

A definite thanx for the heady hook up it's like a treasure trove went there next thing i know it's 5am the wife yelling at me saying you need a Dr you have a dead disease i go not now babe I'm in the niddle of best jack straw throws up her arms said fuck it i quite 

LOL!  I hear ya.  I try not to go there too often for fear I'll likewise go down a rabbit hole that won't kick me out for hours.  

It is fun to go there with a song in mind and then hit the Archive, only to return with a clear opinion on the matter.  And two "sub-topics", if you will:  fighting off the bias for both shows that you attended as well as everyone's bias for Spring 1977.  Sometimes completely valid, other times not.

It is indeed fun, though.  Glad you like it.  I'll be looking for your comments under the same handle.

On 5/30/2017 at 1:20 PM, DesertDead said:

LOL!  I hear ya.  I try not to go there too often for fear I'll likewise go down a rabbit hole that won't kick me out for hours.  

It is fun to go there with a song in mind and then hit the Archive, only to return with a clear opinion on the matter.  And two "sub-topics", if you will:  fighting off the bias for both shows that you attended as well as everyone's bias for Spring 1977.  Sometimes completely valid, other times not.

It is indeed fun, though.  Glad you like it.  I'll be looking for your comments under the same handle.

Being bias dew to attendance is a big hurdle for me, the thing that held me there was that every best version i ended up skipping through the whole show, Some versions were amazing anyways that hook up is very appreciated. 

Just now, helpfrankslip said:

Being bias dew to attendance is a big hurdle for me, the thing that held me there was that every best version i ended up skipping through the whole show, Some versions were amazing anyways that hook up is very appreciated. 

Btw handle is correct 

On 5/30/2017 at 3:06 PM, Mason's Child said:

I can't date girls not into the dead. They'd leave even faster than the ones that are when they find out just what I mean by I see dark star quite a bit. 

When i met her, swear to god she thought stairway to heaven was a rolling stones song i took her to and still do most dead related events but unlike most of us after 20 yrs she tires unless live i get it kinda the way their are certain songs from other bands zep stones even rush that i can't or won't listen to anymore 

Archived