The Cap

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP
On 5/30/2017 at 5:06 PM, Mason's Child said:

I can't date girls not into the dead. They'd leave even faster than the ones that are when they find out just what I mean by I see dark star quite a bit. 

Its a skill like being a salesperson of turning them into deadheads. It takes perseverance and hard work. It doesn't come overnight. The dead brainswashibg starts with finding a few songs they like and playing different versions of them. Then finding the style they like and playing similar songs. It took until this week literally after 3 years where she's putting on Apple Music(it has the lyrics for every song as the song plays) for the gf to start looking up the words. Heard her singing several dead songs word for word and I'm like what's going on here?  She was singing along using the Apple Music lyrics. I said about time. She can identify any dead song name quickly after 50 DSO and other dead bands plus exclusively dead from the stereo and car but knows only the chorus in each song.  Just before that she started using dead quotes on Facebook and Instagram.  Her friends and mom think it's weird, but she's over that now and accepted her fate of being a deadhead or as her chaco embroidery says, "happy head". Life's a lot easier with both sides pulling on the same side of the tug o war rope instead of opposite. I think it was Boulder that finally made her realize she fit in the scene(it can be intimidating for non deadheads) and when I counted up 44 dark star shows that she's seen. It was tough at 1st. She is really shy and will not open up at all around new people not even to say hello. This community has caused her to lose those feelings that it's better to keep quiet than to have people judge you. I mean she wouldn't say a peep to anyone the 1sr year and a half. Now she opens up to strangers and it's because she realizes the kindness of this community and how great the people are. She's never gonna dress like a sreeeotypical deadhead and that's ok. Doesn't matter what you wear long as u are there. I think she actually likes being a little differently dressed from everyone else now when before she didn't want to stand out at all. She's been talking about dreads lately and that's where I step in and say umm no but we can compromise on unbrushed hair. Plus I like her bringing  a little more racial diversity to shows. Dead shows are whiter than a trump rally, literally(its a joke. No one block me). The Uber driver asked me were there any black people at the show in Boulder. I'm like the bassist in the band was and think I saw a few in the crowd maybe possibly. I'm like they would be welcome though and prob have the best shot of getting a miracle ticket lol.  So just seeing the posts above for the 1st time and singing the actual lyrics made me write this and pat myself on my own back. 

• Forum MVP

I agree with you Rudy,,that the deadhead scene is typically an extremely white crowd...more diversity would be a benefit. Colorado is probably not the best barometer for that (since Boulder is pretty much white),,however everything I've experienced and also seen footage of GD-related points toward very little racial diversity.

Also, I think it's fair to say that there is a gender imbalance in our scene as well...sometimes there are moments where it looks practically 10 to 1, Male to Female.

Not sure what it all means or how it could change but it is what it is I guess....

• Forum MVP
On 6/22/2017 at 11:52 PM, Island Bro said:

I agree with you Rudy,,that the deadhead scene is typically an extremely white crowd...more diversity would be a benefit. Colorado is probably not the best barometer for that (since Boulder is pretty much white),,however everything I've experienced and also seen footage of GD-related points toward very little racial diversity.

Also, I think it's fair to say that there is a gender imbalance in our scene as well...sometimes there are moments where it looks practically 10 to 1, Male to Female.

Not sure what it all means or how it could change but it is what it is I guess....

The pitfalls of tour aren't for all women. Not having a bed or not getting a shower tends to be more of a buddy thing. U don't really see many big groups of girls on the road. That's likely because their boyfriends don't want to miss the party.  Plus the deads songs are mostly from the male perspective. Lots of fighting and murder and gambling and drinking. Definitely songs men relate to easier than women. It's hard to flip minglewood around. If a girl says the sheriffs after her for banging his 16yr old son, that sort of sounds creepy. And her occupation was stealing men from their other women, society would call her a whore. Not sure why the dead didn't make any songs like Taylor swift writes.  Hunter celebrated strong beautiful women, but again it was mostly from the man telling about him being crazy for this woman.  

I suppose people write songs from their view of life,  I doubt that Hunter/Garcia & Weir/Barlow  saw life from from the same perspective as a pampered little rich girl.

As a whole the music scene is not diverse in any form.  Not racially or socially!  Go see Beyonce, or Taylor Swift and see how diverse those crowds are. 

I haven't been to a DSO show in awhile and never on the east. coast, so maybe things are different now, But the dead had a very socially diverse following -  Ann Coulter to Al Franken, Bill Walton to Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.  People in Rags (that you wonder how in the hell they got from one show to the next) to People in Evening Gowns and Tuxedos.  Doctors, Lawyers, Cops maybe even an Indian Chief.  Both my Doctor and Dentist in Reno were Deadheads  My copay for my Dr was a GD CD.  Ann Coulter once stated "when you go to a Dead show you leave your politics at the door".

Archived