Dead & Co. Summer Tour 2017

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

Thought it would be cool to have a thread where we could share about the upcoming Dead and Company tour.

So who is going where?  I'm doing PHX and Hollywood Bowl.  

I read that they are going to tinker with some new ideas for what to run on the video screens.  If I survive, I'll be back with insight to that and more.  Looking forward to hearing from everyone else.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

My older brother, Cary, invited me to the Saratoga Springs show near his home on June 20th.  It will be only his second "GD" show. I took him to a DSO show several years ago.  It's a long drive from Georgia to New York but it will be a good visit. My wife, Bess, and son, Tim, will come along.

Peace, Love, and Happy Travels,

Doc

• Forum MVP

MC ... me and JJ are trying to find our way to Aurora IL and Bells Shows June 25&26. .. 2 outdoor shows ... Bells always been a favorite venue of mine ... I think I have seen 3 DSO shows there ...

then one day relax before Dead show at Blossom show on 28th ..

We are heading to Burgettstown, unfortunately vacation is smack in the middle of all the east coast shows. Although, at least I have JRAD at the Cap in July and the two Bottle and Cork shows with DSO in August!  Can't wait!

• Forum MVP

Vegas

Music, Dire Wolf, Jack Straw, Loser, FOTD, BEW, Bird Song

Playin', Deal, China>Rider (w/Midnight Rider tease)>Drums>Space>TOO>Black Peter>One More Saturday Night

E:  Knockin>Playin Reprise

I saw some on YouTube and heard some streams.  Everyone looked great and the playing was excellent.  Weir seems particularly healthy, which is great to see, of course.  Jack Straw had some very cool jams throughout, and was at a generally slower pace.

Sunday sermon tonight in the desert.  I'll also call for a tongue in cheek Cold Rain and Snow opener.  

13 hours ago, DesertDead said:

Vegas

Music, Dire Wolf, Jack Straw, Loser, FOTD, BEW, Bird Song

Playin', Deal, China>Rider (w/Midnight Rider tease)>Drums>Space>TOO>Black Peter>One More Saturday Night

E:  Knockin>Playin Reprise

I saw some on YouTube and heard some streams.  Everyone looked great and the playing was excellent.  Weir seems particularly healthy, which is great to see, of course.  Jack Straw had some very cool jams throughout, and was at a generally slower pace.

Sunday sermon tonight in the desert.  I'll also call for a tongue in cheek Cold Rain and Snow opener.  

The only thing about the dead&co shows although I have not caught one yet, might do shoreline I'm still on the fence on that anyways as desert dead was reviewing his thoughts the one thing i have noticed from YouTube uploads is the slower tempo's quite a few songs have been played lately mns comes to mind and after listening to these songs for 30 something years i would probably have a hard time finding my dance groove which partly makes or breaks my experience now some songs have some amazing jams it's just like many here already stated i would take dso over d&c anyday i actually thought furthur was much more true to the music just imo 

• Forum MVP

PHX

Stranger, Bertha, Minglewood, Cassidy, Peggy-O, Loose Lucy, Sugaree, Samson

Lost Sailor>Saint, Crazy Fingers, Scarlet>Fire>Drums>Space>Dear Prudence>Casey Jones.  E:  Touch

I'll spare the hyperbole and just share that the show smoked.  This was my first show with Mayer, and he really impressed me.  I like to boogie when I'm at a show, and this one was ripe for that.  Much faster pace than Vegas.  Highlights would be the vast majority of it, lol.  Sugaree and Fire were sick as fuck.  I had the entire aisle of the 200 section on Chimenti's side to swim around during Fire.  A few of us were in the groove, what a blast.  Casey Jones was also outrageous.

I went in with relatively low expectations, and they were obviously exceeded.  I would have a difficult time choosing between a Dead and Company show and a DSO show.  The size of the venues and therefore intimacy are apples and oranges, but last night was very loud, and Mayer's play cannot be overstated.  Run, don't walk, to see these guys.  I think you will have fun.

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, DesertDead said:

PHX

Stranger, Bertha, Minglewood, Cassidy, Peggy-O, Loose Lucy, Sugaree, Samson

Lost Sailor>Saint, Crazy Fingers, Scarlet>Fire>Drums>Space>Dear Prudence>Casey Jones.  E:  Touch

I'll spare the hyperbole and just share that the show smoked.  

I would have a difficult time choosing between a Dead and Company show and a DSO showbut last night was very loud, and Mayer's play cannot be overstated.

Glad you had fun.

The only way l would have a tough choice would be if they were on the same day and one was an  8+ ride and the other was -2.  I suppose it would also matter if I was goin solo or not...

Anyway - Mayer is a great player from a technical standpoint.  He has his moments when trying to groove but he tends to fall back into a technical style pretty quickly.

I love Bob but an up tempo nite for him now is almost a full beat slower since Furthur.  

Chementi is a freaking monster!  That dood can really lay it down and go from 0 - 100 in a moment and still be right on it.

There are plenty of people that feel the way you do and would have no conflict if there was a choice - D+C hands-down.

It looks like a good time and those that love this music would likely skip away happy.

• Forum MVP

Last night the gf put on some recent dead and co and the level of playing was not what we had this weekend at jubilee. It's safer. She put on some show from nugs and it's different. It's a different product. I understand they don't want to be The Gratefil Dead, but the overall musical composition can't compare to what I heard Friday or Saturday night at jubilee. It's nowhere near that level.  The dead and co harmonizing made me want to vomit. Mayers voice is not meant to harmonize with.  

I just don't see how people think mater is a good Jerry.

Please give me a link to a song where you guys think he's amazing because I can't find it. 

• Forum MVP
25 minutes ago, PoetryGirl said:

We have some music plans. So far it is  Dead and co Boulder, Muse, Sligjtly Stoopid with Iration, J Boog and the Movement, Black Mountain DSO, Telluride Blues. That's all, folks!

Sounds like a fun diverse spread of music for the summer!

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, rudedogggg said:

Last night the gf put on some recent dead and co and the level of playing was not what we had this weekend at jubilee. It's safer. She put on some show from nugs and it's different. It's a different product. I understand they don't want to be The Gratefil Dead, but the overall musical composition can't compare to what I heard Friday or Saturday night at jubilee. It's nowhere near that level.  The dead and co harmonizing made me want to vomit. Mayers voice is not meant to harmonize with.  

I just don't see how people think mater is a good Jerry.

Please give me a link to a song where you guys think he's amazing because I can't find it. 

I know a lot of Heads, and I'm yet to find anyone of the opinion that John Mayer is as good as Jerome.  Let's not get crazy. 

But the guy is great.  And the brand of music that they're putting out is very good, and I'm confident that everyone here would really enjoy seeing it live, given everyone's love for the Grateful Dead.

It would require an open mind, however.  And I think in all fairness that some may not currently have that open mindedness about them, especially if the comparisons are to be made without ever seeing them for one's self, considering that this is music intended to be experienced live, last time I checked.

So there is certainly no link to anything that is going to change anyone's mind.  Heck, I was skeptical after seeing and hearing some of Vegas the very night before I just saw them.  I'm thrilled that they played a more lively show for me to take in.  And it was totally rippin.  That Scarlet/Fire was thick as fuck, I promise.

As I said before the show elsewhere and since the show here:  I would have a tough time picking between the two entities.  I can certainly understand a passionate defense of DSO given this is their site, that it is a current way for one to be in on something, and most importantly because they kick major fucking ass.  

And the the intimacy of it makes it extremely special and unique.  More personal.  I love em.  

I stopped counting at 50, but am well into triple digits for shows that included a certain Fatman missing the middle finger on his right hand, so I feel I am qualified to humbly share with this community that Dead and Company does the scene justice, and that John Mayer not only gets it but can execute it.  

I hope everyone here gets to see for yourself.  It is not rail-riding a DSO show of a 71 list with 800 friends, but it is most certainly groovy.  Oh, and try to have fun for Pete's sake.  I'm not recommending you go see Mastadon here.

• Forum MVP

I've only seen 5 dead and co shows so take this with a grain of salt but even the ones I thought were good. I danced. I had fun. It was great to be with the larger community, larger family. I go see DSO and they play these guys out of the water. I feel no emotion in mayers pretty made for high school girls voice. I feel even less in his very highly technically sound quality guitar playing. The guy is a sound musician. No one can argue that. He seems to geniunely love dead music but I don't think he feels it. These stories these songs you need to have felt it to live it to get it. Mayer be better off in VW right now paying his dues and learning the way of the down out and the forgotten. Spend some time with the lost boys before you try to lead them. 

I'll go to Folsom and if you see me I am sure I'll be getting down and living it up. It's not a lack of an open mind. I'm always open minded when it comes to giving a band playing dead music a shot. Not so much other music but I have a critical ear and know what I like and want it that way. 

This band provides a valuable integral part of the Grateful Dead scene and experience. They introduce new people to this music. They are expanding and growing the family. Many that learn this music through this band will find a deep appreciation for Jerry Garcia. 

I havent heard anyone say John Mayer over Jerry Garcia but definitely heard John Mayer over Jeff Mattson or John Kadlecik. I couldn't disagree with this more. If this is your opinion, I'm not sure we even should discuss this subject together. Jeff and John feel this music at the deepest level. The music of the Grateful Dead has been ingrained in them over their lifetimes. They saw Jerry play and were apart of the scene and community. They experienced it and felt it before they tried to recreate and share it with us.

• Forum MVP

It will be what it is meant to be for you who choose to go. 

" Your perception of me is a reflection of you. My reaction to you is an awareness of me." - Third Eye Thirst

" all this talk about my look. Who cares? Shallow minds scratch the surface" - Matisyahu -  

i was invited by some heads here to go out. I have never been to Boulder, although I so wanted to go to college there. Not allowed at 17. I can't wait to see my buddy from Clemson. We lost our lovers 6 months apart. Ashley his gf was my roommate and I ran into her after the Louisville 90 show  before she died in a car wreck 9 hours later. It was a divine appointment.  Her favorite song was Loose Lucy.  Sal is a metaphysical shaman, a healer.   I knowWe are going to light the fuse and shine it out. I can't wait ! Going to see my master chocolatier friend too! I will sup at the table of loving spirit and see the beauty far and wide. 

Archived