Dead & Co. Summer Tour 2017

DesertDead

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, ducats said:

I don't understand.  problems with the Mayer shirt but Jer's 4 finger hand on the playbill is ok? I'm lost.

Jerry, Bobby, Phil, mickey and Billy and the keyboardist of the era are the dead. Mayer ain't the dead just like any other person who didn't create the music isn't the dead. A lot of phenomenal people play the dead and do it amazingly but they aren't the dead. A lot play a great Jerry guitar but I'm sure that Jeff would be the 1st to say there's only 1 Jerry and you can't replace Jerry.  Jerry wasn't mayers inspiration to play like he was to the countless great dead guitarists who have studied and idolized Jerry's playing.  

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bobby monetizing by playing Jerry tunes is one thing.  putting his hand on the playbill another imo.  Did Jerry monetize?  he couldn't?  it didn't interest him - to me the lack of a desire to monetize is at the heart of dead culture.  

Bobby couldn't live with the ticket sales that came from a poster without Jerry's hand on it? Sorry I'll stop but as you can tell it pisses me off.

• Forum MVP

"Firefly, can you see me?
Shine on, glowing, brief and brightly
Could you imagine? one summer day,
That same night be on your way

Do you remember? Hearts were too cold
Seasons have frozen us into our souls
People were sayin' the whole world is burning
Ashes have scattered too hard to turn

Upside out or inside down
False alarm, the only game in town
No man's land, the only game in town
Terrible, the only game in town" 

The greatest gift of this community is being who you are meant to be. Freedom of expression, man. Are you kind? Don't we want to get back to the garden? I am grateful to be around lovers of the light and participate in a community that embodies ideals I align with and have experiences to grow it. I left Boulder feeling more free and got rid of chaff. That is priceless.  I want to embrace myself whereever the universe evolves me to be in the moment and get free. Be the love you seek. And pretty much - "loving yourself is the biggest middle finger you can give."  If it isn't your story, leave. Get free. 

My joy was dancing down the concourse around between the section 100 and 200 tiers. It was a freaking blast and nothing better than sharing joy with 50,000 or 500 of your closest friends, whatever the venue.  

Prace and happiness and authenticity. Ain't no time to hate. 

• Forum MVP

50% of me is Namaste the other 50%! is FU I know it is a discussion board of opinion. Part of me thinks why bother. I feel this way though. It is not perfect. I love Grateful Dead music! There is that and then Sometimes opinion just weighs down the possibility of fun and distracts us from the love we bring. 

Your right PG. The bottom line is we all love Grateful Dead music and we become very analytical of the who, what, where, when and why. Mayer is not the perfect fit but he's a talented musician nonetheless. I knew absolutely nothing about him until my gf at the time said "is this for real, John Mayer is playing with some of the guys from the dead ?" She  YouTubed some clips for me of him. I was pretty shocked that he was gonna be the frontman to this group. But Then we got tickets to MSG to see what this was about. Either way I've already gone to a bunch of shows.  And will see more. There was only one Jerry and then there's only a close second to Jerry. There's several if not more names that come to mind as a better lead and they've been mentioned here over and over But if Mayer brings more of a younger generation to start really getting into the Dead then so be it. Hopefully they will find DSO in there travels. I posted earlier but at least we have so many options to hear this music live. Not many fans...if any can say the same.

23 hours ago, rudedogggg said:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/John-Mayer-is-dead-to-Me-t-shirt-6-1oz-Preshrunk-Dead-and-Company-tee-S-6X-/262570460103?var=&hash=item3d226b43c7%3Am%3Am04iMeAWIl9TBePdhXKsSNA&_trkparms=pageci%3A1b06d608-520b-11e7-9315-74dbd18082e3%7Cparentrq%3Aad7df06b15c0ab64b87bf1b9fffe9afe%7Ciid%3A1

21 sold of this one. I sent screens of another one that had more sold than this. This is disgusting. If John Mayer is how you prefer your dead, and you wear this shirt, you deserve the scalper treatment like they did in the 90s--a huge crowd would surround you and berate you. Maybe they would deserve something more like this..........https://giphy.com/gifs/shame-Ob7p7lDT99cd2

ugh file size limit really small. 

Doesn't look like the GoT gif is working :/

This is just a bad dream, right? 

• Forum MVP

I just spent an hour or so watching Nugs vids of these shows. I'm glad that folks are getting joy and kicks from this band, but it's not for me.

My favorite part of the band is Oteil.....he has wonderful energy. Not sure what the heck Mickey is even doing on that stage....my has he mellowed.

So grateful for DSO.....you continue to fill my cup......no offense at all to the surviving GD members......so grateful to have seen 35 GD shows back in the day.....I cherish the memories and will continue to purchase the high quality recordings as they are released.

Peace to all and enjoy!

1 hour ago, acududeman said:

I just spent an hour or so watching Nugs vids of these shows. I'm glad that folks are getting joy and kicks from this band, but it's not for me.

My favorite part of the band is Oteil.....he has wonderful energy. Not sure what the heck Mickey is even doing on that stage....my has he mellowed.

So grateful for DSO.....you continue to fill my cup......no offense at all to the surviving GD members......so grateful to have seen 35 GD shows back in the day.....I cherish the memories and will continue to purchase the high quality recordings as they are released.

Peace to all and enjoy!

I was watching the nugs TV on my phone, but they only give you the 1st song of each set then you have to subscribe. Anyway it was the 1st night Fenway mns wife says look mickey is playing air brush's and in her defense it kinda looked funny to me. 

• Forum MVP
On 6/16/2017 at 3:23 PM, jj3down said:

Jon Mayer bringing in some younger crowds is the bright side in all of it.

Trust me when I say, kids these days need some love in the dream.

I have absolutely no problem at all with John maybe bringing in younger crowds.  

please, spring is not over, so allow these young blossoms to float over the air in which I spin.  Daddy's little school girl from Jubilee can lead me into a reckoning with the younger blood.  they to still flirt with me, as I do them.  its wise for a man of my age to dance and show the younger ladies the stamina they should expect, but only get to witness:)!!! 

I have no problem with ages, I seem to do just fine on my own......but like a magnet, I attract all ages of iron.  

let em play, I will still dance next Thursday, if not with a open mind, than with a lustful heart if so says the truth above.

it's all a good time....but it sucks to see distorted Dead....I refused it for decades....untill I found something better....and it just so happens I get to see them in insbrook and blk mnt!! 

sometimes you don't have the real thing, so you basically dew the rag, I'll do it Thursday, but will still give it the energy the music respects, and in the process, get my but pinched, water brought to me, random kisses, and just plain disrespect from people who don't get what I get, but I don't mind the pinches!!  never did...

love you DSO, not cheating on you, just delaying the Jones for you!!  or maybe making it worse, regardless,  nudity for sure on the way up!!

y'all miss me;)!! 

• Forum MVP

Mason.....I love your thoughtfulness for the music brother.  don't like everything about you, but I absolutely love your dedication to keeping this music and message of GD alive.  

love it when people help me think!!!!  good words shared, I appreciate them!!  

and this ain't to inflate your balloon.... I clicked with the corporate anology, and you made me pause.  I would fucking flip if they took Jeff away from us.  

I would be anti weir to a level that I would burn that fucking hater shirt.  

take Jeff away....and yeah...the dead are corporate....there all thinking how much their liver is going to cost...and being hippy is very expensive these days.  ya know!!  

• Forum MVP

fuck...could u imagine.  or Rob?  take Eaton...that would be funny, but jeez....I was not around with jk.....wholly shit cans.....I imagine what that did to you guys.   I just got a glimpse, and no way in hell could we get that lucky 2ce.  Mattson just to good on the noodle.  fuck....shut this discussion down now.  

the gravity of what could struck a tired fellows nerve.  you can't take away this.  Indian giving.  .....  

lala land....I tend to believe in built to last, and DSO at red rocks, Hampton, and shoreline.  

I know dead and co is the show, but the heart is at norva, Dewey, blk mnt.  

reasons I don't get on here much.  

• Forum MVP
On 6/17/2017 at 9:24 PM, acududeman said:

Peace to all and enjoy!

Those nugs tv vids give zero feel of the show. They are zoom ins. We watched some of the boulder and we were like this gives u zero light show. It's all zoom ins and quick cuts back and forth. Zoom that shit our and show the LCD boards and the lights. Might as well just listen b/c those are junk. I barely ever see crowd. 

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, rudedogggg said:

Those nugs tv vids give zero feel of the show. They are zoom ins. We watched some of the boulder and we were like this gives u zero light show. It's all zoom ins and quick cuts back and forth. Zoom that shit our and show the LCD boards and the lights. Might as well just listen b/c those are junk. I barely ever see crowd. 

Well said, RD.  The shows are, unsurprisingly, much better in person.

And buzzed.*

*Unless, of course, you are a Wharf Rat, in which case I bid you peace and hope that your path is calm and steady.  Rock out.

Ace IS the Real  Deal People! Since 1963. It's all about Bob! Mayer is great but does it really matter that much who is playing guitar as long as they can play. I mean really. Weir is really really Important as it relates to the history of American Music.

And stop trashing Mickey Hart for cripes sake!  What did he ever do to you? He is doing just fine as is the entire low end on this Tour..

And making sweeping assertions baseed on Nugs TV is just flat out stupid.

Carry on.....

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Muddy Waters said:

Ace IS the Real  Deal People! Since 1963. It's all about Bob! Mayer is great but does it really matter that much who is playing guitar as long as they can play. I mean really. Weir is really really Important as it relates to the history of American Music.

And stop trashing Mickey Hart for cripes sake!  What did he ever do to you? He is doing just fine as is the entire low end on this Tour..

Carry on.....

Hahaha, love this angle, Muddy.

And as far as that Mickey Hart guy is concerned, he really frightened me during D/S at Deer Creek in 1990.  Those laughing sounds were sinister.

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, Muddy Waters said:

Carry on.....

I'm sure you would admit Mickey should be playing with sticks though and not brushes.  He played sticks for 25 years with the GD.  It is definitely not the same feel with him playing in a softer support percussion role. 

LET MICKEY PLAY.....STICKS!

• Forum MVP

Wait.  Did you said the Dead is ALL about Ace?  Phil and Jerry were much more of an influence on the music we listen to than Bobby.  He changed the role of rhythm guitarist and it was brilliant, but Jerry and Phil did most of the composing. 

• Forum MVP
10 hours ago, Muddy Waters said:

Carry on.....

Like I said earlier, to all of those digging this band in its current incarnation......fantastic!

I simply stated that I'll invest my GD musical $$ elsewhere for the time being, for the reasons I have already delineated.

It's a gift to have all of these choices!

Peace

Archived