DesertDead

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
16 minutes ago, PoetryGirl said:

Brilliant article. 

Fav quotes

Me and My Uncle sounded like a 100 year old cowboy was riding into town on horse with a limp. If it was any slower it might have started going backwards.

being convinced oteill was dosed he wrote the following:

During intermission, Oteil wanted to be naked and continue wrestling with an invisible octopus. He named the creature, “Snuggly” and said it was all in fun. The set break went on longer than usual because Oteil’s face and fingers melted off and he was waiting for them to recreate themselves properly. Once in tact, the show began again.

One thing about LSD is that it’s like a human juicer. A juicer applies pressure to fruits and vegetables and extracts from them the contents at their core. All of the qualities and characteristics on the inside become completely apparent as they are squeezed to the outside. LSD does that to people. If there’s a lot of chaos and confusion at your core, you’re likely to end up hiding under a table for 6 hours. It doesn’t matter how collected you may appear in daily life, LSD will extract from you whatever is at your core. LSD isn’t concerned whether or not you’re comfortable being turned inside out nor does it ask for permission. The shit doesn’t come with a steering wheel so the experience is unable to be controlled. Watching a controlling personality come unglued on LSD is quite a sight. Trying to control the uncontrollable has caused many a controlling mind to go mad. LSD forces you to make a choice… Either let go or lose your mind…

• Forum MVP

The title of his review from SPAC was:  A shit sandwich with some really good bread!

I listened to the stream and outside of Watchtower, Black Peter, and the tempo, I liked it.  I also realize that this is uniquely a spectator-sport so take it with as many grains of salt as you wish.

Bobby keeps on livin the dream :)  Go out and get it !

• Forum MVP
12 minutes ago, Tea for Texas said:

I also realize that this is uniquely a spectator-sport so take it with as many grains of salt as you wish.

You hit the nail on the head.

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, MandaPanda said:

Hey all!

Anyone know of any face value tix available for camden show in nj this sunday? A pair would be ok or a single... lawn OK.

Thanks in advance for checking if you are able :):):)

Xx

Amanda

Go on Cash or Trade. They specialize in face value tickets. Good Luck! 

• Forum MVP
22 minutes ago, GoingBackTo Where.... said:

ubut there are see thru dresses....and a younger appearance in the crowd.  sorry but I so much prefer the music to the visuals.   murdered ujb.   why can't dso b here...and my true feelings are clear...don't like sweet talk of it ain't sweet

Ampitheater doesn't have the full stage show. U have a tiny window in the lawn to look through. It's not like the open stadium. Plus the sound at most ampitheaters sucks in the lawn. Deer creek, Starwood, riverport.  They all suck in the lawn for sound. Those places have mostly built in PA systems. 

Boy am I excited for the Wrigley shows. Will be hanging out with my good friend EB, who is doing the majority of the tour. He listed Fenway as the best shows followed by Boulder., I always like to here my people's opinions. Everyone has them > see all the above posts :)

Anyway, it is difficult to listen to all the hate about Dead and Co. In a way, its sad but more importantly, opinions are everyone's right...Will I see anyone else in Chicago? Peace and love folks!

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, GoingBackTo Where.... said:

so far bristow super sucks.  whispering shaekwdown, fucking up ujb.....my opinion. nothing....but I am typing, not dancing, that should mean something to someone.  

turned people on to dark star however!!  yay...more people at 930 or national!!!

Jiffy Lube Pavillion.....a venue about as bad as the name suggests.......I gave up on it over a decade ago

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, crazy digits said:

Boy am I excited for the Wrigley shows. Will be hanging out with my good friend EB, who is doing the majority of the tour. He listed Fenway as the best shows followed by Boulder., I always like to here my people's opinions. Everyone has them > see all the above posts :)

Anyway, it is difficult to listen to all the hate about Dead and Co. In a way, its sad but more importantly, opinions are everyone's right...Will I see anyone else in Chicago? Peace and love folks!

I like it live. It's my peeps and my music. Streams..not so much.  I'll see u there. I think I'll be to your right or maybe left. Look for me 

• Forum MVP
11 hours ago, GoingBackTo Where.... said:

so far bristow super sucks.  whispering shaekwdown, fucking up ujb.....my opinion

Bob told them to turn him up and finally in UJB you could hear him. JM got lost in transition from Shakedown to UJB and went over to Bob to watch him play. Bob told him to get out of there. It seemed JM could play notes but UJB was too much spaciness for him. The drummers worked with Bob  hard and curbed JM randomness of jamming back into the freewheeling groove that is UJB.  There were good moments and then there were moments of a little boy lost in the woods. That was all I saw on stream. I hope the more structured songs made for a better time. 

• Forum MVP

Interesting that here is rhythm leading when they are individual players that used to meander between a lead guitar and bass. Bob's unique style probably ups the ante. Cumbersome sometimes, there are really good interesting moments at D&C. 

I am so, so glad DSO is out there doing incredible justice to the music. You are an ✨amazing✨ band!

• Forum MVP

I've spoken out my opinion so many times... I've even felt like I couldn't understand why people liked the music, even gone as far as thinking that some people have less depth of appreciation for the music. I felt justified in thinking this way and at times I denounced seeing the original members play at all.

The Grateful Dead were amazing. I never saw them play- Jerry died when I was 10 and my parents weren't deadheads. People tell me that it was insanely awesome, best party ever, deeply spiritual. I can feel it when I listen to the recordings; the music sounds so.... Real, and at the same time out of this world. And from my own experience, the music is even better live. 

I don't get this from other bands quite like I do from Jerry Garcia. I never saw him play but he's still alive to me, coming through my speakers everyday. The guy left a serious impression on the world, and on many of us deeply. I so deeply love and appreciate Jerry but have been weary of worship-like mentalities that I've come across throughout the scene. I know he struggled immensely and didn't want to be on the pedestal. 

I don't really know where I thought I was going with this....I guess I'm trying to practice holding my tongue when it comes to such matters. The music, the whole experience is so subjective, unique to each individual on each night. I have no idea what the music sounds like to everyone else. I do know that it sounds different to me at different times, based on settings, sound, and the energy I bring to it.

That being said I'm gonna go without any thoughts of judging. I want to, if only for those 4 hours, assume the best of the music and give my best, knowing that what I give is as important as what I receive. 

Oh, and I need a ticket ;-)

• Forum MVP

No live Dead & Co. for me thank you. Reasons are similar to the mostly negative comments I see here.

After JG I tended way more to Phil & Friends than Ratdog really wandering in the wilderness until DSO came along in 1999...Whew, there's that damn bus....still riding.

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Mango said:

the whole experience is so subjective, unique to each individual on each night. I have no idea what the music sounds like to everyone else. I do know that it sounds different to me at different times, based on settings, sound, and the energy I bring to it.

Well said.  Things sound better to me when I am happy.  Being around good friends will remove a lot of the hard edges from the music.  I focus more on enjoying the time, more than analyzing the music note for note.  I think thats a big thing about streams.  It is really easy to pick out the messups.  There is no other distraction.  If you are watching 10k of your friends dance along, every note isnt quite as important as alone in your home.  I say its way worth the experience at a stadium.  Almost wish I had done fenway.  Looked like an epic weekend!!!  Can't do them all......but I want to do most of the 3-day weekends.

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

No live Dead & Co. for me thank you. Reasons are similar to the mostly negative comments I see here.

After JG I tended way more to Phil & Friends than Ratdog really wandering in the wilderness until DSO came along in 1999...Whew, there's that damn bus....still riding.

You Sir have the single greatest avatar on the entire Internet.

3 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

Weird.  I find the comments to be overwhelmingly positive.  I have even been listening o some of these recent shows and have been at least satisfied with the progress.  I would be counted as one of the Deadheads who never really knew John Mayer was a competent guitarist to begin with, so any prowess shown by him was surprising to me.

• Forum MVP
26 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

Yours might be tight too weren't it for it containing a Notre Dame symbol and that filthy little leprechaun.  Other than that you got a sweet handle!

Maybe I should change mine to this:

3135614056_25e2fedf29.jpg 

Don't worry - at least it isn't a Buckeye.  

Yes Teacher Matt - I know - Ann Arbor is a whore.  Blah, blah, blah, blah.....

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, DesertDead said:

For the record I meant "more" not "mostly" in regards to negative comments on the thread.

Also the avatar pic was taken in 2007 in Morgantown WV by my then sophomore daughter at tailgate of infamous WVU-Pitt game.

Loss Cost WVU a chance at Ohio State for Natational Champ.

The teacher probably remembers as it was the last game as head coach in WV for that soon to be whore loving coach in Ann Arbor.

4 hours ago, Mango said:

I've spoken out my opinion so many times... I've even felt like I couldn't understand why people liked the music, even gone as far as thinking that some people have less depth of appreciation for the music. I felt justified in thinking this way and at times I denounced seeing the original members play at all.

I cannot condemn you, and nor will I deny...  

I have felt the same way.  After Jerry died, I attended the two Further Festival Tours in the years that followed.  I couldn't stick around.  There was just something missing, and it wasn't just Jerry. The soul of the music and the scene was ripped out.

And all the incarnations after just never did it for me.  It's almost as if I have a sub-conscience obligation to dislike these off-brand versions of the Dead.

I wasn't happy with the Dead & Co decision really.  And not just Mayer but the choice to do it at all. But somehow, someway, despite my typical personal aversions to these watered down Grateful Dead revivals, I have come to find the positive aspects and potential effects of Dead & Co outweigh my personal feelings and aversions.  

Archived