Dead & Co. Summer Tour 2017

DesertDead

50 minutes ago, Dancin' Fool said:

Very much spot on IMHO. Only saw them once, but I will make every effort to go again.

:dsorocks:

Agreed, saw JRAD at the Brooklyn Bowl on 3/18 when Oteil was sitting in.  Heading to the Cap Theater on 7/21-22 to see them again, can't wait!!  

I loved the tempo and they even played Brokedown as the first encore, nice and slow with great vocals. You could hear a pin drop.  

All that said, really looking forward to DSO at the Bottle and Cork!  

Happy summer, folks!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I do really want to see JRAD sometime, but wont hop a flight.

I also have to admit something that feels weird.  I was listening to the cold rain and snow from the hollywood bowl and I actually like Mayers voice on that song.  I think it actually works with that one.  I dont like it with most but on that it just seemed right.

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, sonomajon said:

I'm glad people are digging Dead&Co...To me, John Mayer is pretty much the antithesis of Jerry Garcia on just about every level...

Well, Bobby Weir seems to think the kid's ok, so there's that.

I certainly understand this sentiment, as Mayer is a bit of an easy target for a variety of reasons, some self-induced.  I guess I just prefer to give the benefit of the doubt in the absence of any facts or first-hand experience.  

From an educated distance he looks like a super-nice guy who is trying like hell to do justice to a scene and a guitarist who played music that got under his skin when he heard it, and doing so in a humble, honest manner.

You're right.  That's nothing like Garcia.

I'm with Desert Dead on this topic. I have caught two Dead and Company shows one from each of the first Two Tours (St. Louis and Alpine Valley).  I will be at Wrigley for the Tour Finale.  Not that I need to reference  Dead bonafides but Im close to double Nickles in age and first caught the Dead 6 times in 1978 at the Uptown when I was 15. Seen it all in every incarnation since that time including the Fare Thee Well Finale Sunday at Soldier Field with Trey which was a Swiss Watch Perfect event. And also I  love DSO. Have to say  Mayer is damn  good and it is clear its not just a paycheck for him.  He digs the music and the guy just flat out smokes on lead guitar. And here is the single biggest thing it's Bob Weir People!  To me Weir is the most important American Troubadour out there. Did you all not see the Dead Documentary? With the exception of Bob Dylan (and Weir is far superior to him in a live music setting these days) Weir in my opinion  is the most important figure in American Music still standing and clearly has the most street cred as it relates to the Garcia legacy. I respect those that feel that DSO is a closer reflection of the Garcia ethos. Has he lost a step?  Maybe but  I'm not so sure. The best show I saw in 2016 was his  Solo tour at the Chicago Theater is was flat our brilliant. To me, since Garcia has died it has always been Weir that has carried the most important torch, and until that has been extinguished I'm all in.

• Forum MVP

To me its only about the sound.  DSO's sound product is far superior.  I dont even look at the band while they play.  Im in my own dance world.  Its fantastic that bobby is still playing.  Unfortunately Mickey plays brushes now instead of sticks.  We are seeing Van Morrison in Nashville in September.  We watched some of his live stuff lately and his voice is gone.  It wont be the same.  I listen to 98% Dead and 2% DSO.  Ill get alot of the dso shows that I really loved and listen to them once or twice, but I now go to Jerry for what I need.  To me Mattson imbues way more of the emotional Jerry, and its not even close, than Mayer does.  And its hard to watch Mayer dance while he plays.  Ive been watching dead and co this tour and its a shit show.  Bobby and Mayer dont seem to be on the same page.  Bobby knew what Jerry was going to do and chorded appropriately, but Bobby isnt connected like that to Mayer and you can tell.  But I assume the sound should be an epic setup so that should counter some of the negatives, plus who doesnt love an outdoor summer stadium show.  I only saw the Dead play 2 outdoor sports stadiums and the spectacle is pretty epic.  I fortunately got to see the next to last show Soldier field show in 95 and I still have amazing memories of that day even though I now know the playing was not right, but for a new deadhead at the time, it was amazing.

I dont think its that Bobby has lost a step.  I think if 74 Jerry appeared on stage, weir would be playing with him perfectly.  I just dont think Mayer knows the music well enough to be connected to Bobby.  Its like if you put 6 different Dead tribute allstars together on a stage who were all in different dead bands.  They wouldnt be on the same page.  It takes hundreds and hundreds of shows to do what the dead did.  They practiced and played 6 days a week from the day they started the band.  Mayer and Bobby have limited practice together.  You can even see confusion on the face of Bill.  Mayer just got off a solo tour.  Bobby too.  This is not their day job.  This is a project and it sounds like a project.  But I will have a blast in the high desert with the desert like temps this weekend!!!

I lifted this from another site. It's pretty funny! And it dovetails well with Rude's post regarding being a new deadhead.Thought it would fit well in this thread:

Last night I posted up on a great spot on the lawn with my girlfriend, plenty of room and a great view. Shoreline is a bit of a weird venue to navigate, but once you figure it out, all is well, and for me, all was very well. I sat down, took a few bitter altoids, and waited until the show started.

I got to talking to my neighbors before the music started, and it turns out that these two guys sitting next to me who looked a bit confused weren’t coming up on anything… they had somehow come to the show under the impression that it was a John Mayer show, for his new album. Somehow, someway, they got tickets, made it in, and never questioned what was going on until they realized they were surrounded by a rainbow of hippies and tie-dye. They were rolling a spliff though, so they appeared to at least have that going for them.

Let me be judgmental real quick – these were two college-aged dudes looking to cruise on girls and listen to some watery pop music with some screaming blues guitar. They had no fucking clue what they just signed up for. I told them to expect a 20 minute drum solo, and I don’t think they thought I was serious.

When the first set started, they looked a bit confused, but started to really get into it when the band started getting jazzy in Playin’. As soon as Viola Lee Blues started up, these guys were dancing like madmen and jamming. One of them turned to me and said he had no fucking clue that music could get like this.

During the first setbreak, these guys looked stunned, enthralled, and excited. They were talking to another guy nearby about the band now, learning about the history, which branch of the band this is, who the players were, everything. One of them mentioned that he really wanted to check out Phil and Terrapin Crossraods. The other guy was taking down notes in his phone of good Dead shows to hear… I gave him 6/10/73 and the Watkins Glen Soundcheck Jam, I hope it finds them well.

Now, since Shoreline is a bit of a shitty venue, I unfortunately lost track of them during drums… however, one guy had his eyes closed and arms wide open as he chanted to himself along with the drums, and the other guy stared slack-jawed and wide-eyed at the stage, with both bewilderment and joy fighting to be known. I got poised to leave during that time, and then spent the last bit of the set waiting up by the exit… you gotta do what you gotta do at Shoreline, otherwise you are stuck in hours of traffic.

I can get the disdain for the band from some people, and I know that’s going to be the case forever. It will always be the case until Jerry’s zombified corpse comes back to the stage and plays again, and even then it wouldn’t be enough for some folks. For me, this is real. Last night was real. The way the band navigated in and out of the sludge was real enough for me… and these two dudes who came in expecting their body to be a wonderland, instead got to meet Bobby as their wonderland, and it totally blew these guys to shreds. That was all so very real for so many of us in the building last night. I shared it with these guys, and I hope to share it with you.

See you folks again for tonight. Leaving for lot in a few hours… ain’t nothing in the world like one more show ahead down the road.

To me Mattson imbues way more of the emotional Jerry, and its not even close, than Mayer does.  And its hard to watch Mayer dance while he plays.  Ive been watching dead and co this tour and its a shit show.  Bobby and Mayer dont seem to be on the same page.  Bobby knew what Jerry was going to do and chorded appropriately, but Bobby isnt connected like that to Mayer and you can tell

Huh? Hah ..Hah well there is hot take. Bobby is not connected to Mayer like he was to Garcia in 1974? Ya think? And you saw the Dead once in 95? NO disrespect but you  totally missed my point. I was not comparing Mayer to Garcia (doing my best Chris Carter imitation - Come on Man!) or Mattson to Garcia for that matter.  Or Mattson to Mayer.  To me that's ridiculous everyone at this level is stupid good lets be honest. And no one compares to Garcia i think we all can agree with that.  My point simply was that for me it is Weir that has been the most important vehicle that has carried Garcias legacy and muse forward through  his own spirit, his musical  IQ, his nuance, his sense of humor  and his epic American musical  journey which has kept him in the game headlining stadiums still playing Garcia's  music 22 years after the big guy checked  out. It is Weir that conveys the emotional Jerry best of all because Garcia will always be more an integral part of Weirs musical DNA than Garcia could be a part of any other musician with the exception of maybe the other core 3, and Keith and Brent and Pigpen. And to be clear I'm not talking about his specific take on Days Between or Brokedown Palace.  I'm talking about the Whole Thing that we all love. Just one guys opinion.

On 5/30/2017 at 11:38 PM, DesertDead said:

I know a lot of Heads, and I'm yet to find anyone of the opinion that John Mayer is as good as Jerome.  Let's not get crazy. 

But the guy is great.  And the brand of music that they're putting out is very good, and I'm confident that everyone here would really enjoy seeing it live, given everyone's love for the Grateful Dead.

It would require an open mind, however.  And I think in all fairness that some may not currently have that open mindedness about them, especially if the comparisons are to be made without ever seeing them for one's self, considering that this is music intended to be experienced live, last time I checked.

So there is certainly no link to anything that is going to change anyone's mind.  Heck, I was skeptical after seeing and hearing some of Vegas the very night before I just saw them.  I'm thrilled that they played a more lively show for me to take in.  And it was totally rippin.  That Scarlet/Fire was thick as fuck, I promise.

As I said before the show elsewhere and since the show here:  I would have a tough time picking between the two entities.  I can certainly understand a passionate defense of DSO given this is their site, that it is a current way for one to be in on something, and most importantly because they kick major fucking ass.  

And the the intimacy of it makes it extremely special and unique.  More personal.  I love em.  

I stopped counting at 50, but am well into triple digits for shows that included a certain Fatman missing the middle finger on his right hand, so I feel I am qualified to humbly share with this community that Dead and Company does the scene justice, and that John Mayer not only gets it but can execute it.  

I hope everyone here gets to see for yourself.  It is not rail-riding a DSO show of a 71 list with 800 friends, but it is most certainly groovy.  Oh, and try to have fun for Pete's sake.  I'm not recommending you go see Mastadon here.

Pretty sure bobby wouldn't have given him the keys if he couldn't handle the car and i did hear a scarlet fire somwhere east coast and mayer lit it up and smoked the shit out of it i had to play it again ,kinda changed my opinion even if just a little 

Finally. it is. clear and the. alternative. universe has become. reality. My. spirit has. taken. hold over. Bob's last. brain cells. My vocal. patterns. are now his.

Mayer is an. evil Vulcan. You. will never see. his. ears. He has replaced. Mickey. The drumsticks. have been. replaced. by wire. brushes. The universe. is upside. down. The. Cream puff. is at war. The minglewood. is not blue. The rap. has become. dominated by a. not so. bold. deceiver. 

I. am still your. Captain. Do not. be fooled. Find. a friendly Tribble. Put on. 4/23/69. Let. your. mind meld with. reality. 

Beam me up Jerry,

Kirk out

• Forum MVP
20 hours ago, Muddy Waters said:

Huh? Hah ..Hah well there is hot take. Bobby is not connected to Mayer like he was to Garcia in 1974? Ya think? And you saw the Dead once in 95? NO disrespect but you  totally missed my point. I was not comparing Mayer to Garcia (doing my best Chris Carter imitation - Come on Man!) or Mattson to Garcia for that matter.  Or Mattson to Mayer.  To me that's ridiculous everyone at this level is stupid good lets be honest. And no one compares to Garcia i think we all can agree with that.  My point simply was that for me it is Weir that has been the most important vehicle that has carried Garcias legacy and muse forward through  his own spirit, his musical  IQ, his nuance, his sense of humor  and his epic American musical  journey which has kept him in the game headlining stadiums still playing Garcia's  music 22 years after the big guy checked  out. It is Weir that conveys the emotional Jerry best of all because Garcia will always be more an integral part of Weirs musical DNA than Garcia could be a part of any other musician with the exception of maybe the other core 3, and Keith and Brent and Pigpen. And to be clear I'm not talking about his specific take on Days Between or Brokedown Palace.  I'm talking about the Whole Thing that we all love. Just one guys opinion.

I'm there for the music. I wont be seeing Bobby besides on a video screen anyway. It doesn't matter to me that it's Bobby or eaton up there. I'm not a star fucker. I want the sound. It's amazing that Bobby's still doing this for fans, but this ain't the dead and they chose one of the worst choices to possible play the lead, personality wise and style wise. And I saw them 4x in 95. Don't act like I'm less of a deadhead because I'm younger and didn't discover the dead until I was 21. I wish I had friends before colleh who were into the dead but alas....I was referring to outdoor football field shows and the spectacle.  I listen to only dead and listen ive seen 54 DSO shows in the last 16 months.  I can discern good playing from bad. I'd say the current product is below 95 dead. Mayer is prob close To Jerry in the bad Jerry shows but the rest isn't close. For god sakes mickey is playing brushes so he can hide.  

I listen to only dead

You got it all figured out Bro. Keep on keeping on.

But just for  fun throw in some Count Basie, Uncle Tupelo, Bach, Django, Beach Boys, Buddy Holly, Muddy Waters (me)  and Taylor Swift. Nice to mix things up every now and then!

• Forum MVP

SCI, Talking Heads, CSN&Y, Sinatra,  YMSB, the aforementioned Buddy Holly of course, Ramones, The Band, Miles Davis and so very much more in the wide world of music. Herb Alpert to Jimi Hendrix. Bobby Darin to Beatles to Bach. Creedence to Cabinet to Calvin Harris, Mountain to Mancini, Joy Division to Joplin (Scott and Janis), Great Society to Great White; so many genres and so little time.

In that spirit, here is this offering, still under the "San Francisco Sound" umbrella. If the intro doesn't get a body dancing, I am not sure what will.

There's a version from Altamont with a nice demonstration of how one can move to this if you are so inclined. The video quality is superb but the vocals are a little rough. About halfway through it gets even rougher with the Angels. But then it is Altamont...

Seeing them in Saratoga NY, June 20th with my partner in crime Brian B. (aka My Uncle) Can't wait!!  Got a good taste with a great local band, Dark Hollow a couple weeks ago in Cazenovia.  Looking forward to a full blown freak fest with Bobby and the Boys. Saw em there last summer and had a blast. Caught a few videos of this years tour and so far sooooo good. Hoping for some good weather, and rest will take care if itself. Stay safe, friends!

Archived