Dead & Co. Summer Tour 2017

DesertDead

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
4 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

I watched the Atlanta stream last night- a completely different experience as I am fighting a cold and watched a show instead of danced. My observation of Mayer is he is competent and has riffs. I believe the music is still very new to play, and it stretches him. It feels forced a bit and that is ok. Hopefully his playing becomes a more natural expression of the song in his heart and less a technical exercise. 🌈 Not as psychedelic as the second night Boulder. IMO 

There were some some inwardly satisfied smiles as the Jam pushed into new spaces and stretched like lady taffy last night among the band members. That is super fun to see. 

So u got it too.... hope it's not as bad as mine. The antibiotics have worked which is a good and bad thing. It's prob some disgusting dirty hippie fecal bacteria and a lot of water and doobage was passed around and shared to pass the germs on. It's been several years since I got sick so it was probably my time. New Years run 2014 was last sickness so I was due and glad it came post shows this time. 

• Forum MVP
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, Mason's Child said:

Bobby coming back to Colorado to play Red Rocks between the jerrys birthday and the anniversary of his death.  Melvin and a band gonna play too.  It looks pretty legit.

tickets on sale today (presale code: WEIR2017) and Friday. Gloria and Jackie will be back with Melvin, Otiel on bass. I think this is going to be a good one.

On 6/11/2017 at 1:09 PM, Dear Abby said:

To Help,

Punctuation, spacing and paragraphs make for a more enjoyable experience for your reading audience. It also shows consideration and good rearing. 

Love,

Abby

Sorry, i'll get right next time. 

On 6/13/2017 at 8:43 AM, Mason's Child said:

I had quite an experience with Dead and Company at Folsom Field this weekend.  I must admit that I fight some predisposition to dislike this band.  I do not like the selection of John Mayer.  Its not that he isn't a competent guitar player and a half decent singer, although his singing really does turn me off.  Its that we have tons of competent guitar players that have more thoroughly given their life to Jerry Garcia his message and his community.  Its almost like working at a company for years.  You're next in line for promotion and they go with this guy from outside the company instead.  Why didn't we promote a company man?  John Mayer isn't that good to ignore this fact.  JK, Stu Allen, Zack Nugent, Butchy, and countless others that have given their time playing this music for what seems like pennies compared to the Dead and Co payday.  I refuse to believe John Mayer was essential to ticket sales.  I intentionally left Jeff Mattson out of the discussion because I hope he would just say no although I doubt it.  Dark Star is my band.  I am loyal to them.  No one plays this music with more passion intensity and emotion than they do.  Nothing about my experience this weekend has convinced me otherwise.  I won't be giving up any Dark Star shows to see this band.

Keeping my bias and position in mind, Dead and Company exceeded expectations.  The first night started out rough.  The line to get in was a cluster fuck.  It took over 30 minutes to get inside.  We ended up coming in as they were playing Dancing and it was rough.  It wasn't funky.  It was slow choppy and sloppy.  If I had been in position, it would've been tough to dance too.  A good friend around here said that he liked Mayer's vocals on Cold Rain and Snow.  Well I didn't.  It was still slow and choppy musically.  It lacked that grace and flow I'm used to and the vocals made me cringe a little.  This wasn't going well.  Bucket is a little stronger, but still lack that typical going to hell punch.  I was at least able to start to get myself grooving and spinning.  I love the space at Folsom back behind the soundboard.  Floor tickets cost way too much and they got much better at preventing the stub down this year, but the dance and the energy behind the sound board is palpable.  If the music doesn't feed you, the energy of those around you should.  Big River was played at I guess more a traditional speed than a Rock N Roll speed.  The music never stopped was the slowest one I've ever heard.  I think you guys get the point.  The tempos were too slow for me.  I disliked it so much I almost left the show.  Even Mayer's favorite Althea was fairly weak.  I didn't connect much during the first set and I even debated pushing to leave the show.  

The second set started off stronger.  The Stephen was strong.  I don't mean like Grateful Dead 69 strong or even a DSO 77 rendition strong, but definitely a 2017 Dead and Co strong.  The energy continued into Estimated and then exploded into Eyes.  The eyes would be the highlight of a fairly weak show for me.  Eyes may have been the only moment of the show I danced full on and full tilt.  I could feel those around me gravitate towards my energy, take my energy, and spill it back out for the others.  It was beautiful.  I am glad I was able to share in it and be apart of it.  Its what I chase when I go see music.  That very feeling of nirvana with untenable connectedness to my brothers and sisters.  Deal was a decent number.  I'm not huge on it to begin with but I think it was played well.  Let it grow was kind of a clunker.  Song just lacked the I am God energy it supposed to have it still felt nice to scream I am! The other one was solid and morning dew was another high light of the night for me.  I could've done with out the touch but we will get by.  The 2nd set was strong enough I knew I'd be back tomorrow night.  I still thought overall the show was weak.  The scene and community were strong, but the music overall fell flat.  They just didn't deliver a good ol grateful dead experience.  Night 2 would be different.  I am glad I went back.  I share more later.

It might be a theory but maybe bobby selected mayer because of his age to make sure this musical legacy continues after all i cannot think of, other than Jackie green* god help us* to do just that, you know take it fwd. 

Does anyone know if these Dead & Co shows are selling out?

I've had a difficult time explaining why I didn't agree with or embrace the Jon Mayer selection.  I think the 'passing over company guys to bring in some young outsider' analogy may hit it on the head.

Still I look forward to checking them out.

• Forum MVP
8 hours ago, helpfrankslip said:

Just like cherry coke lmao! 

The band sang “Laaaaaaaaaaaaa La La La Laaaaaaaaaaaa La Laaaaaa” and every painful moment of my life was completely forgiven and encapsulated by the deepest love I’ve ever felt. How the fuck could some men singing La La Laaa shit do that???

hahahaha

8 hours ago, helpfrankslip said:

It might be a theory but maybe bobby selected mayer because of his age to make sure this musical legacy continues after all i cannot think of, other than Jackie green* god help us* to do just that, you know take it fwd. 

legacy's can't continue.  8/9/95 the day the music died. 

• Forum MVP

I think they picked him to merge the Dead further into the mainstream. Through doing this they make a big impact. When it comes down which guitarist to pick- that's all according to everyone's opinion. Who can argue that John Mayer brings in new fans, sells tickets? The fact is, many Deadheads don't really analyze the way the music sounds. For many it's more about the experience, the hugeness of it all.

I was playing disc golf recently and a guy in my group was playing Dead and Co the whole time. To my ears most of it sounded mediocre. Oteil is the only guy in the band with a voice (not counting Bobby on HIS OWN SONGS). The harmonies are god-awful...Chimenti is a great keyboard player but he can't sing. Sounds life a bunch of dudes up there. For my taste the music is too guitar heavy. Remember the abundance of keyboard solos in Furthur? What happened?? And my final complaint... It sounds like one drummer. Wtf is Mickey doing? It's like he's just there for show and the drums segment.

Yes, DSO has spoiled me from the very beginning. I don't feel that the reason is because they sound like the grateful Dead did; I love them because they play with fire, their interactions are dynamic. There's no BS to deal with- just pure grateful Dead music. 

All this said, I'll go to Camden. And I might even have an enlightening experience. But if I do I won't go back and listen to the recording because the proof is not in the pudding.

• Forum MVP

I dunno, Mango.  I wasn't in the room, but I'm not so sure about this theory that John Mayer was selected by Bobby to integrate GD music further into pop culture and/or boost ticket sales.  And I'm not sure of the percentage, but I am likewise skeptical that a significant portion of the crowds at the Dead & Co shows are John Mayer fans who would otherwise not be going.

Those things may be positioned as positive outcomes (although I'm not sure that the world needs more Touchheads), but I think that Mayer's enthusiasm for the music as well as his talent got him the gig. I also think that Bobby likes his relative newness and unique approach to things, as it presents a different set of challenges and sound than what simply tapping Kadlicek would have brought.

And I think if they had tapped John or Kimock or any other known quantity that they would still sell as many tickets as they are now.

Other than during Drums, Mickey is completely mailing it in.  

I am also cynical and skeptical about Bobby singing Jer tunes, but he surprises me often on everything from Jed to Days.  I'm guessing that he may have to be eventually give some of those up if he wants to keep touring so that he can carry a slightly less workload with less singing, but that assumes that the Fountain of Youth finally eludes the guy.  He is older and moves slower, but, unlike Mickey, he does not mail it in whatsoever.

I think you make a great point about going back to listen to any recordings from Dead and Co, as I would never do so either.  I have zero desire to listen to the show I just saw, and it was both a blast and very hot overall.

My daily fixes for GD music come from recordings when Jerome was involved.  No one disputes that there's that, and then there can be discussions about everything else.

Party safe in Camden.  Can't wait to hear that you had a fantastic time!

• Forum MVP

MC, you might be surprised but Mayer accounts for a lot of ticket sales.  Don't underestimate the power of pop music. These studio created musicians like Bieber, grande and so many more make more money in a year than any member of the dead made in their lives. I've read comments where people went To see dead and co because of Mayer. He's much more famous in current pop culture than bob weir. None of our Uber drivers had heard of Jerry Garcia and that was in Boulder.  It's all about TV. John Mayer is on tv all the time. And now people are buying these idiotic shirts that say John Mayer is Dead to me. He's sufficient but saying that he's your dead makes me want to punch that person. 

• Forum MVP

Oh and they got trey for dead 50 to make sure they would sell out. Did u see how many phish fans came to see Trey play with the dead. That turned it into a shit show. If they chose JK, I think mail order ticket sales would be far less. Every phish Phan on the planet tried to get tix to those shows. 

There's shirts that say John Mayer is dead to me? I haven't seen them...but Please god no...that's just not right 

JJ.....I don't think the shows are selling out. Last year I went to the first Citi field show it was pretty packed but I got a email to buy a ticket for 25 bucks for the second night, I'm assuming that was to get rid of unsold tickets And then the same thing happened at Fenway...The shows were def high attendance but not sold out. Haven't been to and of Dead and Co yet this year so I'm not sure if they picked up more steam from last summer 

19 minutes ago, Vic81 said:

There's shirts that say John Mayer is dead to me? I haven't seen them...but Please god no...that's just not right 

Yeah, I threw up in my mouth a little when I read that.  Unbelievable.

• Forum MVP

http://m.ebay.com/itm/John-Mayer-is-dead-to-Me-t-shirt-6-1oz-Preshrunk-Dead-and-Company-tee-S-6X-/262570460103?var=&hash=item3d226b43c7%3Am%3Am04iMeAWIl9TBePdhXKsSNA&_trkparms=pageci%3A1b06d608-520b-11e7-9315-74dbd18082e3%7Cparentrq%3Aad7df06b15c0ab64b87bf1b9fffe9afe%7Ciid%3A1

21 sold of this one. I sent screens of another one that had more sold than this. This is disgusting. If John Mayer is how you prefer your dead, and you wear this shirt, you deserve the scalper treatment like they did in the 90s--a huge crowd would surround you and berate you. Maybe they would deserve something more like this..........https://giphy.com/gifs/shame-Ob7p7lDT99cd2

ugh file size limit really small. 

Doesn't look like the GoT gif is working :/

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, rudedogggg said:

He's much more famous in current pop culture than bob weir.

Bobby brought Mayer along to a sorority event at his daughter Monet's school this Spring.  Overheard among the star struck sorority sisters:  "who's that old guy sitting with John Mayer?"

And that is indeed the state of affairs.

• Forum MVP

Sanctity is an illusion to me now.  Don't think twice it's alright.

It's really is alright though.  People are gonna monetize because they can.  Don't like  it?  don't buy it.

but at the end of the day:

IMG_1980.JPG

Archived