DesertDead

Dead & Co. Summer Tour 2017

207 posts in this topic

I disagree. Jerry wanted to be a member of Bill Monroe's band. Bluegrass is very structured and I think he modeled his style in that genre. He probably wanted the tight jamming. Hunter says he had definite opinions about lyrics too. I think Jerry was first and foremost an authentic guy who know what he wanted. Unfortunately, what he wanted - to reach minds through the music and feel it and commiserate with it-  became lost as the band's fan base grew. I'll never forget the kind, bright curiosity  in his eyes I saw up close at the Warlocks show. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PoetryGirl said:

I disagree. Jerry wanted to be a member of Bill Monroe's band. Bluegrass is very structured and I think he modeled his style in that genre. He probably wanted the tight jamming. Hunter says he had definite opinions about lyrics too. I think Jerry was first and foremost an authentic guy who know what he wanted. Unfortunately, what he wanted - to reach minds through the music and feel it and commiserate with it-  became lost as the band's fan base grew. I'll never forget the kind, bright curiosity  in his eyes I saw up close at the Warlocks show. 

 

I can't tell what you're disagreeing with exactly?   By Warlocks you mean the '89 shows, right?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Jerry would be the less structured and Bobby the more opinionated. I was replying to the prior post directly above me by Mojo Hand on making a hypothetical guess. 

 

yes I was a twinkle in the ethos in 1965. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PoetryGirl said:

yes I was a twinkle in the ethos in 1965. 

 

I was gonna say, please tell me what vitamins you're taking! :lol:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear you PG.  What you say makes sense. 

I was driving around a little while ago thinking about the post from JJ3.

 

Jerry was so exact in his lead guitar playing.  His leads are so melodic, as opposed to a lead guitar player who just noodles around the scales.  Every note had a place.  No waste and very few random notes in his written lead guitar melodies.  True craftsmanship.  It makes sense that he would have parts in his head for other instruments and ask them to be played that way.

 

The other thing I was thinking......In retrospect, I can't really picture Bobby telling Jerry to play a particular lead guitar line.  I imagine that would not have gone over very well.

 

My hypothetical was more based upon Jerry's stated reluctance to tell anyone what to do, and Bobby just seeming like an anal guy.  But that didn't really pertain to the music.

 

I suppose my original hypothetical was not very well constructed!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I suppose my original hypothetical was not very well constructed!

 

I was surprised to hear this too when hearing it - it's why it stuck in my head for all these years..  Another thing Jerry mentioned in that same interview was something about how his approach to soloing was typically to play the melody of the lyrics.  Obviously we've all heard this in the songs, but it was interesting to hear him say it and if I recall his desire to learn and play the basic song perfectly was tied to that melodic playing.  Like it was very important for the basics and foundation of the song to be set in order for them to be able to expand on it.  Makes sense to me.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jj3down said:

 

I Another thing Jerry mentioned in that same interview was something about how his approach to soloing was typically to play the melody of the lyrics.  

My favorite example of Jerry using the melody of the lyric as a the basis for his lead guitar is "Loser".  I love that Jerry solo.....especially the part where he gets real down and dirty with it!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now