Dead & Co. Summer Tour 2017

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

My perception in the moment will be of joy. I will dance with the best of friends behind the sound board. When it comes to perception I prefer to do that in the moment. Preconceptions are unavoidable for humans but we know to fight these and minimize expectations. Low preconceived notions are usually easier to overcome than high. Dso is currently playing at a level of such high consistency. It becomes almost impossible for any one show to stand out there unless they clunk. My post show analysis has to beyond just my perception s in the moment. It has to be compared and contrasted and viewed through the scope of Jerry and what him and the boys did. This is a part of what makes me tick. If it was all about in the moment perception I just move to the Bay Area and never leave. So much great music going on night and night out but my analysis says dark star is the best around. This is beyond just perception for me. 

When there is room to dance I usually have a great time. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
5 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

I've only seen 5 dead and co shows so take this with a grain of salt but even the ones I thought were good. I danced. I had fun. It was great to be with the larger community, larger family. I go see DSO and they play these guys out of the water. I feel no emotion in mayers pretty made for high school girls voice. I feel even less in his very highly technically sound quality guitar playing. The guy is a sound musician. No one can argue that. He seems to geniunely love dead music but I don't think he feels it. These stories these songs you need to have felt it to live it to get it. Mayer be better off in VW right now paying his dues and learning the way of the down out and the forgotten. Spend some time with the lost boys before you try to lead them. 

I'll go to Folsom and if you see me I am sure I'll be getting down and living it up. It's not a lack of an open mind. I'm always open minded when it comes to giving a band playing dead music a shot. Not so much other music but I have a critical ear and know what I like and want it that way. 

This band provides a valuable integral part of the Grateful Dead scene and experience. They introduce new people to this music. They are expanding and growing the family. Many that learn this music through this band will find a deep appreciation for Jerry Garcia. 

I havent heard anyone say John Mayer over Jerry Garcia but definitely heard John Mayer over Jeff Mattson or John Kadlecik. I couldn't disagree with this more. If this is your opinion, I'm not sure we even should discuss this subject together. Jeff and John feel this music at the deepest level. The music of the Grateful Dead has been ingrained in them over their lifetimes. They saw Jerry play and were apart of the scene and community. They experienced it and felt it before they tried to recreate and share it with us.

Don't think that this is directed at me, but am interested in the discussion.

My opinion is Kadlicek>Mattson>Mayer.  But they are all great players.

How about Mayer v. Anastasio?  I'd say Trey has earned his hippie stripes, and I think Dead and Co>Fare Thee Well.

I respect your post, MC, and I get it.  Mayer is completely different than John and Jeff trying to recreate the sound of Jerry.  And after taking my skeptical self to see it the other day, I think the guy is fantastic.  I sense an inherent bias against him for the reasons you list, and my point was to try to negate that with a valid share, which I think I've offered.  

To say that DSO blows Bob Weir and Company "out of the water" is unfair exaggeration to me.  A bit of a tell about mindset maybe?

As The Dude (and now Poetry Girl) says, it's just, like, our opinion, man. :)  

• Forum MVP
6 minutes ago, ducats said:

To MC's point ("paying his dues and learning the way of the down and out") I'm of the mindset u r born with "it", can't be learned.

sing the blues - just don't get caught :)

So you're saying Muddy never spent time in Connecticut? :) 

• Forum MVP

Maybe blow out the water is a bad phrase. I am biased. I can't run from that. Dark Star is my band. It's how I got into the Grateful Dead. I've seen 500 plus shows. I'm going to continue to be loyal to them as they have gone out of their way to make me feel apart of it. However to my ears it is unmistakable that DSOs average is better than dead and co at their best. I'd take Furthur over dead and co any day of the week. I do like dead and co over treyful dead although my in the moment experience Sunday Chicago was out of this world. I preferred phil and friends to the dog when I got into this music 04 through 09. Even with Jackie Greene as one of the friends. I did like the Kimock ratdog shows. It's all good though. Any chance you get to dance and share vibes with like minded people the experience is uplifting. Throw in some good ol Grateful Dead no matter whose playing it and you have a recipe that can yield magic for you. No reason to be anything but Grateful. 

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

Maybe blow out the water is a bad phrase. I am biased. I can't run from that. Dark Star is my band. It's how I got into the Grateful Dead. I've seen 500 plus shows. I'm going to continue to be loyal to them as they have gone out of their way to make me feel apart of it. However to my ears it is unmistakable that DSOs average is better than dead and co at their best. I'd take Furthur over dead and co any day of the week. I do like dead and co over treyful dead although my in the moment experience Sunday Chicago was out of this world. I preferred phil and friends to the dog when I got into this music 04 through 09. Even with Jackie Greene as one of the friends. I did like the Kimock ratdog shows. It's all good though. Any chance you get to dance and share vibes with like minded people the experience is uplifting. Throw in some good ol Grateful Dead no matter whose playing it and you have a recipe that can yield magic for you. No reason to be anything but Grateful. 

Great post, MC.

And, um, 500 DSO shows?  That is fucking awesome.  You are one lucky cat.

11 hours ago, DesertDead said:

I'm poking fun at John Mayer, who is from Connecticut with a reference to Muddy Waters, a famous Blues musician.

oh I didn't know he was from CT and I thought Muddy was a reference to Black Muddy River - and a take on Dylan's Eulogy to Jerry.

Keep in mind I was not referring to wealth when I said you're born with the blues.  whatever "it" is has no idea the size of your daddy's bank account when "your eyes looked  from your mothers face".

• Forum MVP

Whatever cranks your engine.  I want as much variety and content from the GD catalogue that we can get.  It would be nice to see the torch get passed so that the flame still burns for generations to come.

• Forum MVP

Strange report of the D & C show last night at Hollywood Bowl,,band cleared off stage after beginning He's Gone and apparently officers with a dog on stage presumably bomb sniffing but then given the all clear and band returns to finish He's Gone and rest of show. Heightened security there after the Manchester incident last week.

Sounds like a buzzkill to me. Seems like it would be a challenge for the band and audience to fully relax into the vibe tonight at same venue but the show must go on and I hope all have a great time...

strange timez...this darkness has got to give

• Forum MVP

Yeah, that interruption was really scary.

Nothing to do with that and just from what I saw/heard streamed last night, I'm not so upset that I decided not to go to L.A.  Shakedown got cool for a bit, but was disjointed at other times to the point of embarrassing.  Cold Rain was boring and uninspired, particularly Mayer's playing.  I thought Bobby was going to need oxygen during BTW.  Promised Land was also a mess for Bobby.

Not their best showing for Hollywood last night despite yet another cool list on paper.

Speaking of, the set 2 generic format has been to open with tunes historically reserved for right before Drums, and put the traditional openers right into Drums instead.  Then a slow tune out of Space right into an upbeat set closer, effectively shortening the show by a song.

Bucket should open tonight, and Estimated/Eyes is ripe to open set 2 given the current formula if they don't save it for Shoreline.  Whatever it is, they have no where to go but back up after last night's so-so performance.

• Forum MVP
On 5/31/2017 at 1:38 AM, DesertDead said:

I know a lot of Heads, and I'm yet to find anyone of the opinion that John Mayer is as good as Jerome.  Let's not get crazy. 

But the guy is great.  And the brand of music that they're putting out is very good, and I'm confident that everyone here would really enjoy seeing it live, given everyone's love for the Grateful Dead.

It would require an open mind, however.  And I think in all fairness that some may not currently have that open mindedness about them, especially if the comparisons are to be made without ever seeing them for one's self, considering that this is music intended to be experienced live, last time I checked.

So there is certainly no link to anything that is going to change anyone's mind.  Heck, I was skeptical after seeing and hearing some of Vegas the very night before I just saw them.  I'm thrilled that they played a more lively show for me to take in.  And it was totally rippin.  That Scarlet/Fire was thick as fuck, I promise.

As I said before the show elsewhere and since the show here:  I would have a tough time picking between the two entities.  I can certainly understand a passionate defense of DSO given this is their site, that it is a current way for one to be in on something, and most importantly because they kick major fucking ass.  

And the the intimacy of it makes it extremely special and unique.  More personal.  I love em.  

I stopped counting at 50, but am well into triple digits for shows that included a certain Fatman missing the middle finger on his right hand, so I feel I am qualified to humbly share with this community that Dead and Company does the scene justice, and that John Mayer not only gets it but can execute it.  

I hope everyone here gets to see for yourself.  It is not rail-riding a DSO show of a 71 list with 800 friends, but it is most certainly groovy.  Oh, and try to have fun for Pete's sake.  I'm not recommending you go see Mastadon here.

I was skeptical about the GD50.  LOVED IT!!!  It made me excited to see Dead and Co in 2015 in Nashville.  They left me SEVERELY disappointed.  Yeah I know they were brand new and definitely not on the same page and Trey has been noodling on guitar and knows the dead in his soul plus their 2 cali shows pre dead 50 left a lot to be desired vs Mayer who had only played a handful of shows at that point, listening to the dead as long as my girlfriend and maybe less total than she had then and shes just now starting to get it, but this will determine if I see more.  I don't like the lot scene anymore.  I prefer an uber to a small theater but a spectacle is fun once in a while.  I am definitely not one to go to a show and intentionally have a bad time.  It IS GD music  and we will be in CU's football stadium which was pretty much why I wanted to do these 2 shows.  I plan on it being fun.  Anything more than that is a bonus.  I also wont go expecting that Chicago speaker setup as I think they went a little above and beyond because of the ticket mess and it was the best sound I've heard(note i never got to see pink floyd live and heard that is ridiculous).

I think that was what we listened to.  It was either LA or Vegas and it was definitely slow.  I know it wont be the speed of set 1 from night 2 jubilee, but I like to push the tempo and get those endorphins going.

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, rudedogggg said:

I was skeptical about the GD50.  LOVED IT!!!  It made me excited to see Dead and Co in 2015 in Nashville.  They left me SEVERELY disappointed.  Yeah I know they were brand new and definitely not on the same page and Trey has been noodling on guitar and knows the dead in his soul plus their 2 cali shows pre dead 50 left a lot to be desired vs Mayer who had only played a handful of shows at that point, listening to the dead as long as my girlfriend and maybe less total than she had then and shes just now starting to get it, but this will determine if I see more.  I don't like the lot scene anymore.  I prefer an uber to a small theater but a spectacle is fun once in a while.  I am definitely not one to go to a show and intentionally have a bad time.  It IS GD music  and we will be in CU's football stadium which was pretty much why I wanted to do these 2 shows.  I plan on it being fun.  Anything more than that is a bonus.  I also wont go expecting that Chicago speaker setup as I think they went a little above and beyond because of the ticket mess and it was the best sound I've heard(note i never got to see pink floyd live and heard that is ridiculous).

I think that was what we listened to.  It was either LA or Vegas and it was definitely slow.  I know it wont be the speed of set 1 from night 2 jubilee, but I like to push the tempo and get those endorphins going.

If you've never been you Boulder, you're going to love it. Do they still do mall crawl for Halloween? Great town. And yes the sound for Pink Floyd was ridiculous!

• Forum MVP

Go by 2035 10th St near the corner of Pearl and see where I lived for a spell.  My guess the rent is a touch more than 23 years ago -  it felt astronomical then!

Great Spot!

• Forum MVP

At the risk of offending some here, I can't stomach modern day Weir for very long. God bless him for continuing on, but his vocals and glacial tempos just kill my buzz.

This is the main reason I only quench my thirst at the DSO well, as opposed to the various spin-off bands with the survivors. But go with what turns you on....it's a luxury to have these choices!

Dead and Co have been a hit or miss for me. MSG and both Citified  shows had Some strong jamming, nice tempo and good vocals. The 2 Fenway park shows were different, first night was ok and the second night was very very slow paced and I didn't enjoy mayers singing too much, this made it hard for me to find a groove. But they all have been fun. Overall it's been good seeing them and getting a new band to give me music I love. I've always liked chimenti also. The settings are Totally different than Dark star. Large outdoor stadiums and intimate small venues are a night and day experience and I prefer the smaller venues. The large gathering at a stadium is also a powerful feeling. I must say that DSO has taken this music to another level for me closetly related to what Furthur did and I find myself comparing all Dead related groups  I've ever seen and heard to DSO. I also think Furthur is better than this band and had many amazing shows seeing them. Phil and friends can still quench my thirst as long as Phil doesn't sing to much which he usually does.

Although not anywhere near as satisfying as DSO This is still a great band and as much Grateful Dead music I can get to see while it's here I will get to. I will be at citified this year and possibly Camden and Fenway. I wouldn't travel for this band as I would for dark star though.

Like acududeman said above...it's a luxury to have these choices and that's the absolute truth. 

• Forum MVP

JRAD is good - really good! 

If you like fast tempos, big buildups, unique transitions, and interesting sandwiches, you'll like JRAD.

If you like some Jerry Ballads it's a little light in that department.  Some folks don't like the heavy-metal treatment on so many songs that don't always translate when compared to the original version.  It's in your face with breakneck speeds which I like but sometimes doesn't offer quite enough variety in tone and tempo for my taste.

That said, it well worth the price of admission and deserved of some effort to get there, even if you gotta ride for a bit to make it.  

For those who like to dance to match the energy of the band:  Eat your Wheaties!

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, Vic81 said:

Dead and Co have been a hit or miss for me. 

I believe Bobby is highly sensitive to the vibes of the moment. He is a dream weaver. 

"I've been blessed but I've been tossed around this sea -  and I have given love, I have given in and all I that I see is right in front of me" 

In Mexico- he was on the last night - just a fantastic show where everything was hitting on all cylinders. Sometimes expectations are the drag in the room, especially for empathd, and there was nothing but net for him. There was nothing but love. 

IMHO. 

2 hours ago, Tea for Texas said:

JRAD is good - really good! 

If you like fast tempos, big buildups, unique transitions, and interesting sandwiches, you'll like JRAD.

If you like some Jerry Ballads it's a little light in that department.  Some folks don't like the heavy-metal treatment on so many songs that don't always translate when compared to the original version.  It's in your face with breakneck speeds which I like but sometimes doesn't offer quite enough variety in tone and tempo for my taste.

That said, it well worth the price of admission and deserved of some effort to get there, even if you gotta ride for a bit to make it.  

For those who like to dance to match the energy of the band:  Eat your Wheaties!

Very much spot on IMHO. Only saw them once, but I will make every effort to go again.

:dsorocks:

Archived