Dead & Co. Summer Tour 2017

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

Boulder - 6/9

Dancing in the Street > Cold Rain and Snow, Hell in a Bucket, Big River, Althea, New Speedway Boogie, The Music Never Stopped > Ripple

St.Stephen > Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World > Deal, Let It Grow > D/S > Other One > Morning Dew
E:  Touch

Let's have it boys and girls.  I'll bet it was fun no matter what

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/8/2017 at 11:19 AM, rudedogggg said:

I'm there for the music. I wont be seeing Bobby besides on a video screen anyway. It doesn't matter to me that it's Bobby or eaton up there. I'm not a star fucker. I want the sound. It's amazing that Bobby's still doing this for fans, but this ain't the dead and they chose one of the worst choices to possible play the lead, personality wise and style wise. And I saw them 4x in 95. Don't act like I'm less of a deadhead because I'm younger and didn't discover the dead until I was 21. I wish I had friends before colleh who were into the dead but alas....I was referring to outdoor football field shows and the spectacle.  I listen to only dead and listen ive seen 54 DSO shows in the last 16 months.  I can discern good playing from bad. I'd say the current product is below 95 dead. Mayer is prob close To Jerry in the bad Jerry shows but the rest isn't close. For god sakes mickey is playing brushes so he can hide.  

Only requirement for being a deadhead is the love and understanding of the music, there are no levels of deadheadism of course you it would be hard to describe the particulars of any 74 show if you weren't born yet, but the best thing close enough not to mention all we have to go on are the vast amount of audio so ok you can't physically see the bobby and Jerry musical interchanges but by listening closely and enough times you can get the feeling what they were achieving therefore makes you qualified to an opinion of what took place. I have a friend who was born in the early 80's who you can play a show from any year and once he hears jerry sing he'll tell you which year it is now one might think that's easy so what, well i am pretty good but it's not as easy as you might think. I can get it down to within 3to4 years btw 83to85 don't count to easy my point is how many shows you have seen is just that besides me included some i can't even remember. 

• Devoted
34 minutes ago, helpfrankslip said:

Only requirement for being a deadhead is the love and understanding of the music, there are no levels of deadheadism of course you it would be hard to describe the particulars of any 74 show if you weren't born yet, but the best thing close enough not to mention all we have to go on are the vast amount of audio so ok you can't physically see the bobby and Jerry musical interchanges but by listening closely and enough times you can get the feeling what they were achieving therefore makes you qualified to an opinion of what took place. I have a friend who was born in the early 80's who you can play a show from any year and once he hears jerry sing he'll tell you which year it is now one might think that's easy so what, well i am pretty good but it's not as easy as you might think. I can get it down to within 3to4 years btw 83to85 don't count to easy my point is how many shows you have seen is just that besides me included some i can't even remember. 

To Help,

Punctuation, spacing and paragraphs make for a more enjoyable experience for your reading audience. It also shows consideration and good rearing. 

Love,

Abby

• Forum MVP

Gold:

From the deepest parts of the cosmos I was receiving the message that it’s ALL gonna be OK! It’s ALL gonna work out! All I have to do is let go of the poorly constructed expectations that were put on me by a society that doesn’t give a shit what happens to me as long as I stay within the parameters of their self-imposed limitations. At that moment, I totally let go! I released my mind and my soul to travel through this experiment called life without accepting any of the burdens or responsibilities that a mostly bogus society was trying to stick me with. I was free and filled with Love knowing deeply and with certainty that all the answers I had been looking for were right there in my consciousness just waiting for me to remove my own will long enough and give up the false sense of control that was somehow controlling me. I was certain I found a new way to live and think and exist and be more powerful than ever simply by realizing I was able to access all of the power and intelligence that created the planets, the species and all that exists… It was the most powerful experience of my life and it all happened because I went to a concert… Far Out…

• Advisory Board
9 hours ago, Tea for Texas said:

Gold:

From the deepest parts of the cosmos I was receiving the message that it’s ALL gonna be OK! It’s ALL gonna work out! All I have to do is let go of the poorly constructed expectations that were put on me by a society that doesn’t give a shit what happens to me as long as I stay within the parameters of their self-imposed limitations. At that moment, I totally let go! I released my mind and my soul to travel through this experiment called life without accepting any of the burdens or responsibilities that a mostly bogus society was trying to stick me with. I was free and filled with Love knowing deeply and with certainty that all the answers I had been looking for were right there in my consciousness just waiting for me to remove my own will long enough and give up the false sense of control that was somehow controlling me. I was certain I found a new way to live and think and exist and be more powerful than ever simply by realizing I was able to access all of the power and intelligence that created the planets, the species and all that exists… It was the most powerful experience of my life and it all happened because I went to a concert… Far Out…

That kind of experience can change your outlook on life, yourself, others and the whole big picture...for the rest of ones days. 

But it "all" happened because you went to the concert? Maybe there was something just a bit...more in the air that evening?

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

This trip to Boulder was a magnificent synthesis of threads, some golden and some coarse, that wove into a more beautiful reality. These invisible cords - some were tangled, some stretched- but they were never broken and meant to be. 

Dancing 

Cold Rain and Snow

Big River 

Althea

New Speedway

MNS

Ripple

The first night's music seemed to open a little languidly after Dancin, and it was a good thing for the whole as it was HOT. We had been hanging a bit with a coarse thread and that part let me see what norms society wants to impose. I felt like a bowling pin hanging with a bowling ball at times. Some of the lovely people strolled by right before the show right on time like fresh air, and we sailed along  in that breeze. 

So here we are in some sweet seats that many are attached to, a lovely view but not a Dancin space. Cold Rain and Snow. A man tumbled down from up on high, crashed into our friends and passed out several times with low pressure. I helped catch my friend as the force of his fall pushes him forward. It was traumatizing. Once the situation was stable, replete with stopping people from moving him and getting him get up, putting a cooling cloth on his carotid, and the arrival of a head that was an ER doc, we  skirted the scene. We went to find peace and acknowledged the stress and let it go. 

Exploring the Big River of people, we found spaciousness in the back and the music never stopped. Ripple was sweet and poignant.  And then with a beautiful thought, there we spotted Rudy and GF. We had a fantastic view and space to groove. I could take wing on a musical note. I had been loving the Estimated sway since Jubilee and the nanaNA- nahhh. Little confirmations and staying In the pleasant tense. Instead of the drums in LIG,, we got a thumping bass solo. And a shocking Deal! We danced that one out - you know it right!   My other one sweetly swayed with me and when away, teleported into that bus stop. On the bus together meant the world and the tangled threads unraveled and allowed the simple patterns show and make sense of what was chaff and mattered. Morning Dew is what matters. A new day. The love and life  it brings. 

St Stephen

Estimated 

Eyes

Deal

LIG DS

other one 

Dew 

E:Touch

And we we might not have always done it with grace and ease - that touch of grey reminds us how the best process will have some decay and by products- it is chemistry, man,  but it doesn't really matter after all. I like walking out in the Morning Dew. 

• Forum MVP

I donated  to Conscious Alliance in partnership with a Dead and Co sponsored community action day  and went to a food bank associated with Positive Legacy on Saturday from 11:30-2:30. We slept 5 hrs after Friday's show  and then ubered to Louisville, CO Saturday morning. The executive director expressed how hunger can be overcome; much food is wasted and ends up in landfills. It was a large operation and allowed people to have dignity with choice. They recently upfitted a certified room to package bulk into smaller servings. I think they stock around 30% fresh produce, 49% protein was where they are now. 

There wereabout 25 volunteers. We all got a hat and lunch with live music. First however, we split up and went to cereal repackaging, apple sorting and marrying eggs into cartons in a very specialized way: keeping eggs from the same company, checking expiration and notating processing plant(s)on new packaging. 

I packaged eggs a bit but mostly made bags of 1.4 lb cereal. We made 280 bags in an hour and half. Super rewarding and we made some new friends. 

• Forum MVP

We had a blast. I'll take back what I said. Yes they mess up a lot but who cares about that. Their 1st sets were ok, but the 2nd sets each night were crafted very well.  I heard a defined sound that was unique to them. It's a little slower, Mayer isn't Jerry and has stopped trying to be Jerry. It was unique. 

But....the best part was the sound and lights.  I still think DSO is far superior musically but the spectacle is worth hopping on for small stints. With age, I prefer an Uber to a small theater, but walking the gorgeous CU campus with friends was a blast.  

Boulder is awesome!!

10 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

Bobby coming back to Colorado to play Red Rocks between the jerrys birthday and the anniversary of his death.  Melvin and a band gonna play too.  It looks pretty legit.

so I just got a FB thing (I don't use it much so not sure of lingo) basically a poster of a 8/4 Red Rocks show with The Jerry Garcia 75th Birthday Band.  and Bob Weir and the Campfire band LISTED BELOW the grabbing headline of Jerry Garcia 75th Birthday Concert. and throw in the famous four finger pic for good measure. It says its attributed to Weir (again I don't know FB so not really sure).

u have to be kidding me. 

• Forum MVP

I had quite an experience with Dead and Company at Folsom Field this weekend.  I must admit that I fight some predisposition to dislike this band.  I do not like the selection of John Mayer.  Its not that he isn't a competent guitar player and a half decent singer, although his singing really does turn me off.  Its that we have tons of competent guitar players that have more thoroughly given their life to Jerry Garcia his message and his community.  Its almost like working at a company for years.  You're next in line for promotion and they go with this guy from outside the company instead.  Why didn't we promote a company man?  John Mayer isn't that good to ignore this fact.  JK, Stu Allen, Zack Nugent, Butchy, and countless others that have given their time playing this music for what seems like pennies compared to the Dead and Co payday.  I refuse to believe John Mayer was essential to ticket sales.  I intentionally left Jeff Mattson out of the discussion because I hope he would just say no although I doubt it.  Dark Star is my band.  I am loyal to them.  No one plays this music with more passion intensity and emotion than they do.  Nothing about my experience this weekend has convinced me otherwise.  I won't be giving up any Dark Star shows to see this band.

Keeping my bias and position in mind, Dead and Company exceeded expectations.  The first night started out rough.  The line to get in was a cluster fuck.  It took over 30 minutes to get inside.  We ended up coming in as they were playing Dancing and it was rough.  It wasn't funky.  It was slow choppy and sloppy.  If I had been in position, it would've been tough to dance too.  A good friend around here said that he liked Mayer's vocals on Cold Rain and Snow.  Well I didn't.  It was still slow and choppy musically.  It lacked that grace and flow I'm used to and the vocals made me cringe a little.  This wasn't going well.  Bucket is a little stronger, but still lack that typical going to hell punch.  I was at least able to start to get myself grooving and spinning.  I love the space at Folsom back behind the soundboard.  Floor tickets cost way too much and they got much better at preventing the stub down this year, but the dance and the energy behind the sound board is palpable.  If the music doesn't feed you, the energy of those around you should.  Big River was played at I guess more a traditional speed than a Rock N Roll speed.  The music never stopped was the slowest one I've ever heard.  I think you guys get the point.  The tempos were too slow for me.  I disliked it so much I almost left the show.  Even Mayer's favorite Althea was fairly weak.  I didn't connect much during the first set and I even debated pushing to leave the show.  

The second set started off stronger.  The Stephen was strong.  I don't mean like Grateful Dead 69 strong or even a DSO 77 rendition strong, but definitely a 2017 Dead and Co strong.  The energy continued into Estimated and then exploded into Eyes.  The eyes would be the highlight of a fairly weak show for me.  Eyes may have been the only moment of the show I danced full on and full tilt.  I could feel those around me gravitate towards my energy, take my energy, and spill it back out for the others.  It was beautiful.  I am glad I was able to share in it and be apart of it.  Its what I chase when I go see music.  That very feeling of nirvana with untenable connectedness to my brothers and sisters.  Deal was a decent number.  I'm not huge on it to begin with but I think it was played well.  Let it grow was kind of a clunker.  Song just lacked the I am God energy it supposed to have it still felt nice to scream I am! The other one was solid and morning dew was another high light of the night for me.  I could've done with out the touch but we will get by.  The 2nd set was strong enough I knew I'd be back tomorrow night.  I still thought overall the show was weak.  The scene and community were strong, but the music overall fell flat.  They just didn't deliver a good ol grateful dead experience.  Night 2 would be different.  I am glad I went back.  I share more later.

• Forum MVP

The Truckin Smokestack Spoonful was phenomenal.  Some have ragged on Dead and Co and their ability to transition.  I typically agree from what I heard but here on this segment they were fantastic.  They moved within one song to other seamlessly.  They seemed to go in and out of smokestack and spoonful over and over again.  It was beautiful.  The energy stayed high during Bertha.  It was clear that tonight they found their energy before the show.  Whether it was the white bag the right meal or an appropriately timed nap these guys came out the gate firing tonight.  The cloud cover may have helped.  It was crazy hot this weekend and the first day the sun was shining hard and bright during the first set.  Tonight we had cloud cover.  Ramble on was decent, but also gave me a much needed breather.  I been dancing pretty hard here out the gate.  I tried to capture some of the eyes energy and dance more like that all night tonight.  FOTD was solid.  Loser could've been stronger, but I'm biased.  Jeff Mattson crushes that song.  Browneyed Women was easy to dance too.  The music being played tonight wasn't the best ever of anything.  These versions of these songs do not stand out when compared to when they are played at their best, but tonight they were played with enough fire and energy that the negative disappeared.  I'm sure if I listened at home I could turn the critical jaded mind back on and complain until my face turned blue but in the moment I was in the groove and so were many other people.  Lovelight was just too much fun.  I spent most of the first set dancing for the kids.  If you've been at shows lately with or around me, you have to have noticed I spend a lot of time dancing for or with Whitney.  For the most part during the first set I only danced with her with my eyes, but we got a little raunchy during lovelight.  I had someone come up to us and tell us I know its a sexy lovelight, but you guys got to calm down all with a smile and all in good fun.  It really was a blast.

Help Slip Franklins was done masterfully.  My statement still holds these version do not stand the test of time or comparison, but in the moment during the dance that doesn't matter.  These versions fueled.  Energized your soul.  Connected you to your neighbor to your friend to your lover.  They connected you to the Earth to the Music and maybe most importantly to yourself and your own soul.  By the time we get out of the confusion and maze of slipknot, her smile truly is rolling away the dew.  I need you to roll away....The China Doll was pure magic.  Otiel really nailed it.  His vocals were haunting and chilling and felt very respectful towards Garcia and the emotional poignancy of the song.  It moved me to tears.  Many of you can figure way, but those thoughts weighed heavy on my mind.  You will not be forgotten.  The Dark Star was good in an 89 revivalist kind of way.  I don't mean that as an insult really, but Dark Star was something else altogether in the early years of the dead.  I did start to take notice of this beautiful young couple around here.  They danced beautifully together.  You could see they were in love.  The Stella was decent, but not noteworthy.  I sat during drums and wouldn't get up until some point during china cat.  I was getting tired.  We danced big and hard tonight.  Spun fast.  Moved with creativity.  Shared my energy.  Felt some others energy.  It was an overall moving experience.  One of feel fortunate to have shared in.  I believe in what this band is doing.  Keep on turning on the kids.  The psychedelic revolution didn't end when Jerry died.  Its up to us to spread his message.  Make the message count.  Changing the world and the course of history takes time.  Often those that create that change are long gone by the time their vision is realized.  I think Dead and Co helps further Jerry's vision.   

• Forum MVP

I watched the Atlanta stream last night- a completely different experience as I am fighting a cold and watched a show instead of danced. My observation of Mayer is he is competent and has riffs. I believe the music is still very new to play, and it stretches him. It feels forced a bit and that is ok. Hopefully his playing becomes a more natural expression of the song in his heart and less a technical exercise. 🌈 Not as psychedelic as the second night Boulder. IMO 

There were some some inwardly satisfied smiles as the Jam pushed into new spaces and stretched like lady taffy last night among the band members. That is super fun to see. 

Archived