The Death of Greg Allman

PoetryGirl

• Forum MVP

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.tmz.com/2017/05/27/gregg-allman-dies

Greg Allman was a amazing example of Southern grit and grace in balance melodically. Fly high in the Blue Sky. 

-RIP-

Walk along the river, sweet lullaby
They just keep on flowin', they don't worry 'bout where it's goin', no, no
Don't fly, mister blue bird, I'm just walkin' down the road
Early morning sunshine, tell me all I need to know

You're my blue sky, you're my sunny day
Lord, you know it makes me high
When you turn your love my way
Turn your love my way, yeah

Good old Sunday mornin', bells are ringin' everywhere
Goin' to Carolina, it won't be long and I'll be there

Turn your love my way, yeah, yeah

Although expected, it really hits home when the news breaks. I put 5 ABB cd's on the changer, went outside and lit a big campfire. Stayed out there for a couple hours. Thank you neighbors for not complaining. Thank you PG for starting this thread.

RIP Brother Gregg

• Forum MVP

We chatted with Rob Baracco on this subject a bit Sunday night. He had great stories that honored the man. I haven't really cared much for Allmans lately. I just got so absorbed in the dead but my trips to wanee and seeing the allmans during my formative growing up dead years was monumental for me. They wrote many many classic and truly great songs. Greg allman and his band touched my life. It causes me some sadness to know he has passed on. 

People can you feel it. Love is everywhere 

• Forum MVP

On the drive home from Jub, I put on eat a peach for the gf who was not familiar with the allman brothers at all(her musical knowledge base growing up was knowing every musical ever done by heart plus Ella Fitzgerald and any jazz songs with a piano accompaniment).  Played that all the way through then played some more essential allmans not on that cd.  It has been years since I'd listened to eat a peach. I got to see the allmans in 1995 at the palace theater in Louisville(maybe 96) with dickey Betts and Warren Haynes on guitars. I remember a young Derek trucks(like 16 yrs old) sat in for a few songs. I was perplexed at the time wondering how a young kid got to sit in with them not knowing his uncle was the drummer. What did we do before internet on phones; encyclopedias and libraries or more than likely just never know the answer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
On 5/27/2017 at 6:40 PM, PoetryGirl said:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.tmz.com/2017/05/27/gregg-allman-dies

Greg Allman was a amazing example of Southern grit and grace in balance melodically. Fly high in the Blue Sky. 

-RIP-

Walk along the river, sweet lullaby
They just keep on flowin', they don't worry 'bout where it's goin', no, no
Don't fly, mister blue bird, I'm just walkin' down the road
Early morning sunshine, tell me all I need to know

Turn your love my way, yeah

Good old Sunday mornin', bells are ringin' everywhere
Goin' to Carolina, it won't be long and I'll be there

Turn your love my way, yeah, yeah

In Boulder I actually told Mei "early mornin sunshine tells me all I need to know".   Thats such a great line in a great song.  One of my favs.  I think that line can mean 2 things but to me its seeing the sun tells me everything I need to know about the day, that it will be a wonderful day. I guess u could also look at it like asking the sun to be your happiness guide.  And on another sunshine note, now the gf's facebook page is half dead quotes above pics. I'd have to say my student has achieved her purple belt in dead. I'd consider myself a black belt with people like tea who can hold entire convos just using hunter lines and John A who can tell u what some idiot screamed at 2:35 into a playin on some audience recording of an end of a December 80 dead show, are like 5th degree dead black belts ;)

Black belt? That's pretty impressive Rude. Congrats to Meili on her attainment as well. I honestly wouldn't put myself past a brown belt, despite having memorized several audience tape crowd discussions over the years.

Hate to piss on this thread a little but Blue Sky was written and sung by Dickey Betts.  Just saying.

Allmann Brothers were a tremendous influence to me in my early years.  I was never really able to accept the departing of Dickey and haven't seen them since he left, although I am quite aware that they made some exceptional music during his absence.

Just one more mornin'
He had to wake up with the blues...

RIP Greg Allmann.

• Forum MVP

Thank you for bringing up Dickey Betts. Let's not let history be distorted due to death. A Grief Observed will point out that memory tends to accentuate the positive when in real life there is good shit and bad shit which makes it more meaningful. Speaking of exceptional song writing and bad ass guitar playing, John Kay and Steppenwolf are playing some rare shows this year. One at the Ryman in Nashville on August 5th. Sookie, Sookie and God damn the pusher man, it's all become a monster on our carpet ride in America. America, where are you now? Can't you hear the cries of your son's and daughters. John Mayer brings an edge that pushes dead music to break some exhaustively sewn up seems. Let it roll, just let it roll. You can't never have too much guitar, 

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, jj3down said:

Black belt? That's pretty impressive Rude. Congrats to Meili on her attainment as well. I honestly wouldn't put myself past a brown belt, despite having memorized several audience tape crowd discussions over the years.

Hate to piss on this thread a little but Blue Sky was written and sung by Dickey Betts.  Just saying.

Allmann Brothers were a tremendous influence to me in my early years.  I was never really able to accept the departing of Dickey and haven't seen them since he left, although I am quite aware that they made some exceptional music during his absence.

Just one more mornin'
He had to wake up with the blues...

RIP Greg Allmann.

Well if you look at what percentage of all dead fans have the knowledge that most of us have on this forum, most here are in the top 1% easily which would put us in black belt territory of any martial art, and many are in the top .01% with a few guys like John A who will literally put on any show and say oh listen to this Jerry lick 3:00 into the song. Of course these people are genius level IQ and they put it to the proper use-studying the greatest band of all time. Of course you have someone like Rob Eaton who's study of this music may have him as the most knowledgeable person on the planet wjwj it comes to past shows the dead has performed (Bobby and the boys don't go back and analyze past shows the way rob has to for what DSO does even though they played them all originally). I'd say DSO crowds have a generally higher dead IQ than the dead and co crowds. You rarely see the large groups at DSO shows who don't know the music vs people who want to be apart of a 50k person mega party.  I talked to many people at dead 50 and dead and co who said they hadn't seen any dead type show since the dead. Peeps at DSO shows typically see a lot of local dead and festivals. I know this is a big thread drift. 

Archived