6/27/17 Springfield, OH

RSVP  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Going?

• I'm Going!
    • Uhh Maybe.
    • Can't Make It.

25 minutes ago, rudedogggg said:

Sorry for your loss.  The music will help ease your soul. 

Amd on a bright note, the weather looks epic.  Clear skies with Mid-high 60s at showtime and finishing at around 60 degrees. Can't ask for more perfect conditions for an outdoor show.  

Appreciated, and weather is on our side for a beautiful night. Can't wait to get down. 

Ps. Skips first time in Springfield? Yes?  Minds a little fuzzy. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum MVP

Shortly after sunrise, from mid-June through mid-July, rows of lawn chairs begin appearing between the limestone cliffs of Veterans Park. It's the time-honored method for reserving a prime spot for a great evening of entertainment! Get your chairs ready for our 51st season of admission-free summer concerts, music and theater, and join us a Springfield tradition - The Summer Arts Festival!

Get those chairs ready people for a great night of sitting and knee slappin'. I'm gonna sit my ass off at this show. Let me know where everyone is going to sit during the show so we can all sit our butts off together......

Haha. I plan on arriving right around 5 to stake my claim..not so worried about the knee slappers, from what I remembered they retreat once the circus shows up and realize this isn't this isn't the orchestra they thought it was gonna be. Lol. Bring on the fireworks calliopes and clowns

• Forum MVP
14 hours ago, oysterhead said:

Haha. I plan on arriving right around 5 to stake my claim..not so worried about the knee slappers, from what I remembered they retreat once the circus shows up and realize this isn't this isn't the orchestra they thought it was gonna be. Lol. Bring on the fireworks calliopes and clowns

Been to every DSO show at this stellar venue and will be there in a few hours....as previously mentioned about lawn chairs there:

Same old story so it's been told...the chairs will disappear when the "regulars" at the park realize there are several sections I.e. "Wind" that are not part of this orchestra.

Regarding alcohol...Since they now sell beer at the venue they of course frown upon bringing your own.

Give a $ to the hat when they pass it around or even spare change.

• Forum MVP

show a little maturity ... this venue has a large following of people who support the Springfield Arts with yearly membership donations ... it is a beautuful venue in a college town (Wittenberg) ...  many kind folks will be there with there chairs and will enjoy the show ... they respect you so respect them ... DSO has played this venue enough the folks know its not an actual orchestra ... dont insult these folks intelligence...

Dark Star Orchestra has an amazing relationship with this group ... there is a large pit area in front of the stage for dancing ... expect 2,000 to 3,000 people tonight most with chairs and family .... I will have my chair as well ...

I dont think we're disrespecting anyone, I know what it's like. I'll have chairs and my family as well. Along with blankets a wagon and cooler. I appreciate the Springfield people and love going out there for my favorite music. See all you fine folks soon. Can't wait to cut loose. Come say hi if you see us. I'm Jason btw, my wife Amber and 2 kids will be in attendance as well. First DSO show for either of the kids,  making memories!! Love you all

I'm bringing my chair as well and sitting right by Rude.  I've heard a lot of rambling about "locals in chairs" as if there's something wrong with that.  When in Cleveland, I'm a local.  And if I want to sit in a chair that night then I have every right!

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with people who want to bring chairs or have a leisurely concert experience.  That makes them no less worthy of the music or the experience.  Nor are they in any way less dedicated to the scene or inferior deadheads.  Some people are older or have medical conditions that keep them from dancing.  I sincerely hope that none of my friends or myself are ever so physically compromised that they do not have a choice.

Also, we should go up and thank all those locals who come with chairs!  THEY ALLOW THIS BAND TO CONTINUE!  You think the band could afford to operate on the ticket sales generated from tour heads and people doing 6-12 shows a year?  That's like 5% of the crowd, if that.  The band, as well as us, depend on locals coming to keep the bus rolling.

59 minutes ago, How Do You Do? said:

Re:  Passing the hat - in the past, a local car dealer has "matched" all five dollar bill contributions.  Suggest that you drop in as many $5's as you can spare.

Thanks for this valuable info!  I got 5 on it!

• Forum MVP

I wasn't disrespecting anyone. I was making a joke how people don't realize that any dead type show is not a seated event. When the Iowa city show started there were literally 6 standing. The 4 in our group and 2 other DSO regulars. By the end almost everyone was up letting loose. When I read the quoted part it made me laugh as there's no crowd like a dead crowd and a DSO crowd is definitely a more serious musical crowd than deadco. Not a lot of tourists are at most DSO shows. Definitely the people I meet at DSO shows are a step above crowds you meet at the large shows with massive lot scenes. DSO crowds are much more serious deadheads imo. 

• Forum MVP

Well had to cancel my trip to see todays show. Plant decided to shut down 4th of July week successfully sucking up all my remaining vacation time. Still hitting Indy tonorrow and will probably have an extra ticket if anyone here wants to save on fees. Face no fees 👍  Enjoy tonights show. 

• Forum MVP
20 minutes ago, Dead duck said:

Well had to cancel my trip to see todays show. Plant decided to shut down 4th of July week successfully sucking up all my remaining vacation time. Still hitting Indy tonorrow and will probably have an extra ticket if anyone here wants to save on fees. Face no fees 👍  Enjoy tonights show. 

The Plant can go bleep itself....

I know you'll make Indy count DD!

• Forum MVP

Another stellar night in Springfield. Great weather, great great venue.

Elective

HSF

Mama tried>

Big river

Candyman

Tom Thumb

BIODTL

Stoned me

Passenger

Might as Well

Sugar Magnolia

Foolish heart

Sailor> Saint

Terrapin> Gypsy Queen>

Drumz>

Marbles

Miracle

Mr. Fantasy

Dew

Encore

SSDD

Mighty Quinn

16 hours ago, rudedogggg said:

I wasn't disrespecting anyone. I was making a joke how people don't realize that any dead type show is not a seated event. When the Iowa city show started there were literally 6 standing. The 4 in our group and 2 other DSO regulars. By the end almost everyone was up letting loose. When I read the quoted part it made me laugh as there's no crowd like a dead crowd and a DSO crowd is definitely a more serious musical crowd than deadco. Not a lot of tourists are at most DSO shows. Definitely the people I meet at DSO shows are a step above crowds you meet at the large shows with massive lot scenes. DSO crowds are much more serious deadheads imo. 

Just yanking your crank Rude.   You're hell bent on creating a rank and file system for categorizing Deadheads though. I mean, you have implemented a belt system. :lol:  You should write a book now outlining a point system or the like.  I'm really curious what my Dead score would be.  See you in Chicago.

What a great show and great venue!   Shout out to Ohio for bringing it!  The two DSO events in Ohio so far this year have practically been free-for-alls and in the case of Springfield, it was literally FREE for all!  Ohioans just don't give a fuck!   Deflate the beach ball and get bitch slapped Little Bobby B!   Ohio must rank high in Rude's "states with the most serious Deadheads" category

Riveredge and Springfield are going to sustain me well until August comes!  See y'all in Rochester or Pittsburgh maybe?

• Forum MVP

After deep discussion tonight with the gf, I realized that I'm just creating negativity comparing DSO to deadco and we as fans should be happy we may get more shows now.  Most of these emotions of mine in the deadco thread came when talking to people at deadco that to me felt like they were disrespecting DSO or just uniformed and this was my defense mechanism at work. I need to stay on the bright side of the road and avoid needless negative vibes. 

It appears there is plenty of room for both Dead & Co and DSO in this world.  Dead & Co are filling amphitheaters and stadiums.  DSO draws more people now than at any time since I've been seeing them.

Both are attracting new and younger fans and both are appeasing the old ones.  More enthusiasts of this music and the lifestyle it inspires will allow it to live on... and that is something it simply must do! America needs the Grateful Dead! 

I recall reading an article where Jerry described the deadhead community as 'people trying to live with as few rules as possible and trying to just be as fair as they possibly can with each other'

Based on that definition, I think the world needs as many deadheads as possible.