Matt Reynolds

• Advisory Board

Sadness beyond words. We can never see inside the deepest places of another's mind and heart. All we really have are our capacities to share love and to try and help others we care for feel that love. Life is so frail and fragile. Nothing reminds us of that more than when it ends for those around us. 

The search for meaning seems to be fundamental to being human. While we search I hope to try to remember that nothing is more meaningful than to do my part to help the ones I love to feel love. And feel safe. That's what can make our short time here meaningful. 

My heartfelt condolences and wishes for healing and understanding go out to Matt's family and friends and extended band family at this sad time. May his memory live on and help us all cherish our time on the planet with our families and loved ones. 

Dr. B

Never met Matt, but always saw him after shows on stage doing his thing. DSO comes across as a well oiled machine.  Always starting on time, rarely any technical issues (although when they do occur, it's endearing) I can only assume Matt had a big hand in that professionalism and quality performance of the band. Condolences to Matt's family and friends.

I did not know Matt very well. I do know that the crew and band regarded him to be irreplaceable....that says everything. My prayers and love go out to the entire dso family, his family and KNOW that love, light, music, memories and kindness will get us through.. rest in peace Curfew...

• Forum MVP

I feel bad for taking so long to respond to this thread. I have been wandering through various forests of dreams in New England and internet connectivity is rare, though the human connections have been precious.

Matt was one of my favorite people to wave to and heckle with various ridiculous unicorn banter. I made patches back before my first black mountain shows and one of them looked just like a Hollywood director chair patch with a star in the stealie and gold lettering of, "DSO." I gave it to him there because he was the only one it was right for.

He was always kind in the brief moments we had which were always full of laughter. I was shocked at this loss and will always be deeply grateful to have known such a generous human. 

I love all of you so very much. Without this band and the fans I would never have found my way to the far reaches of space all the way back to the lazy river I call home. You are all more important to me than the most precious of gems and you shine in my heart like a transitive nightfall of diamonds. Everywhere I go my exuberance for this band and the folks they gather has been the key to every doorway that leads me to that place around the corner where the universe is always waiting to meet me. I retain my eagerness to see more shows but I did finally find a life out here in the middle of my heart where I landed after flying around the country for 8 years to see this band. There is life out here off the streets, after all. Though it may never be in a normal "house" lol. Tour can now be something I do because I just plain love it instead of the only thing I can do because it's all I know. My work now requires that I be in more places where they need the light DSO has given me. Off into the world.

MATT was the FIRST person to tell The Deviled Egg he could TOUR DSO. The Egg was talking to him, not knowing he was the manager, and said he wished he could tour them bc they put on such a good show and Matt laughed n told him, "people do that!" He went west to do so and saw the tour with the Lolo hot spring show that Jesse played at while the band ate breakfast and watched. He met MC and others. The Egg returned to Asheville (where I met Jesse n started my east coast days anew a few months ago) and told me I could tour DSO, too (people DO THAT!??) and we went for handfuls of the last shows with John. I left the Egg partially bc I wanted to stay on DSO tour. Matt was directly responsible for putting the idea in his and then my head..... so it is to him directly that I will always be forever grateful to for the very life I live today. Can't wait to get back to the rail ;) 

Thank you, Matt. You pointed to the golden road home and now I get to bring everyone with me with unlimited devotion. Blessings to his family and all that knew him as he was as a person. May his light always shine on in your hearts and lead you home, too.

I produced shows over the years with Matt in Salt Lake. He was always one of the best TM's to work with. He used to tell me that coming to Salt Lake was almost like a day off because we worked so well together. He was always positive even the first time when DSO came through and I said "your nuts if you want to hang all of those lights", he just said it would work and it sure as shit did. My prayers are with his family and the DSO family. R.I.P. Matt.

Just wanted to add a quick story of Mr Reynolds' kindness.

I work front desk at a hotel in Oregon. DSO used to stay with us whenever they came through town. A couple years back, I saw that they were due to arrive and moved a bunch of stuff around in the rooms inventory to make sure they could check in early and get comfortable, knowing they had a show that night to rest up for. As a thank you, Mr Reynolds offered to put my wife and I on the list to get into that night's show. I replied "Thanks, but we've already bought tickets for the next 3 nights' worth of shows". Being a bit of a shameless opportunist, though, my mind flashed to the Chicago show they'd be playing the night before the Fare The Well shows. I asked Mr Reynolds if it would be possible to get on the list for THAT show (even though it was a few months out). Without hesitation, he said yes, jotted some notes into his phone, and gave me his number.

A few months later, it was showtime in Chicago, and to be honest, I assumed he had only been humoring me or would have by now forgotten the whole interaction. I texted him and, to my surprise, he responded promptly and knew exactly what I was talking about, confirmed my first and last name with me and my plus one, and told me everything would be taken care of. And sure enough, everything went smoothly. To top it all off, DSO wound up playing the best set of Grateful Dead music I would hear/see all FTW weekend....but that's a story for another day.

Anyway...peace, love, and strength to his family and friends. Fare thee well.

• Forum MVP

Watching Long Strange Trip and thinking about what an incredible band and crew in DSO. I know there will be a missing and a void once summer tour starts again as you gather together and I just believe that you will find hope and meaning and  that love  is real and close with you as you travel on down the road. Wishing you Godspeed and grace.

Looking forward to enjoying the incredible music my favorite band makes. 💕

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

it's hard for me to comment on this tragedy.  I never knew Matt.  I have seen him plenty.  always moving however, with purpose so it seemed.

I understand the depths of inner struggle.  I wish I reached out randomly and just gave a hug and a hello.  

pain is not always apparent, it can easily be hidden.  the value of a person can not.  I hope Matt's passing encourages others to reach out, even if awkard, as we all need others to lean on sometimes, to help carry our burdens when we can not carry all the weight ourselves.

God bless you Matt, your family, DSO's family.  

On 6/7/2017 at 2:43 PM, Dr. Barry said:

nothing is more meaningful than to do my part to help the ones I love to feel love.

These words resonate w/ me. I will always try to keep them in mind, even in trying times. Well said Dr.

Rest easy, Matt.

Peace to Matt's Family, and the DSO Family as well.

very sad news

I only met Matt a couple of times, but he was a kind guy

will be thinking of all the lost family (Scott, Chub, Matt) when I'm at my next show in Buffalo

Archived