Random thoughts and randomness in general

Rude

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Rude said:

Also I wish I could change the post title. It's supposed to say randomness not less. No way to edit title :(

But that would essentially say random thoughts and random. Totally excluding the randomless. I thought the way you titled it made ALL inclusive so no matter what you had to contribute, with or without random, you were welcome on this thread. Oh well guess I was wrong. 

• Forum MVP

probably skip the taft show, too big a venue for a dead cover band. Even the dead started getting tiresome sometimes in the middle of a tour, but at least JG was there. He's fading big time for me now. The lead guitarists for DSO through the years have been good, but they aren't incredibly unbelievable, like Page or Garcia. A little bit of ego tripping them up. Garcia and Jimmy Page were inexhaustible, always adding something extra. Didn't get that vibe from JK. There's plenty of great musicians throwing down dirty dead in cozy little barrooms. That's what I used to like about a Hunter show during the dead days. Bring on Steppenwolf at the Ryman! 50 year celebration (and it ain't in a stadium with a bunch of rules and regulations). stir it up folks

• Forum MVP
22 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

probably skip the taft show, too big a venue for a dead cover band. Even the dead started getting tiresome sometimes in the middle of a tour, but at least JG was there. He's fading big time for me now. The lead guitarists for DSO through the years have been good, but they aren't incredibly unbelievable, like Page or Garcia. A little bit of ego tripping them up. Garcia and Jimmy Page were inexhaustible, always adding something extra. Didn't get that vibe from JK. There's plenty of great musicians throwing down dirty dead in cozy little barrooms. That's what I used to like about a Hunter show during the dead days. Bring on Steppenwolf at the Ryman! 50 year celebration (and it ain't in a stadium with a bunch of rules and regulations). stir it up folks

Just my take - I'm a bit of a DSO fluffer so take this with the requisite grain of salt:

Skipping the Taft?  Unless its fixed seating, I would much prefer a bigger venue to see DSO so that there is ample space to dance.  The dancers have their spot, the drinkers have theirs as do the socialites.  Dealing with cramped confines of 930, Orange Peel, or The Vic does way more to detract from the experience than them playing a more cavernous venue.  At many DSO stops those different crowds get shoved into a small space, get all squeezed together, and then everyone is left to fend for what they want from where they are forced to be.  My .02.

Comparing Jeff or JK to Garcia and Page is like apples and watermelons - probably for most living guitarists for that matter.  JK is a founding member and the one responsible for many of us getting to reconnect to something that we thought was lost forever.  His unbelievable melodic phrasing and sublime vocals were the jumping off points in keeping the flame of the GD alive.  It’s probably not just dumb luck that Phil and Bobby tapped him for the Furthur slot.  Furthur was fraught with its own limitations (Phil singing, Shatnerizations, back-up cheese vocals, excruciating pace) but it could’ve been better if Phil didn’t have to be the alpha and let JK take the reins.

With the context of present-day will I say this:  I love JK - he was the closest thing to Jerry I had heard and wasn’t really sure DSO would survive without him but his departure was the best thing that ever happened to this band - IMO.  While JK seemed irreplaceable, the installation of Jeff showed me that more was and is possible.  It is different though.  We lost a unique melody but what we got was a guitarist that is willing to take some serious risks.  Jeff’s not afraid to get down and dirty and let it fly.  Case-and-point:  Old-School shows didn’t surface until Jeff got here.  What time-period of the GD defines this music for me?  68 – 78.  Jeff has this span down cold and very few come even remotely close.  It’s clear to these ears that his playing has evolved over the 7+ years even if you don’t hear it.  If you don’t, that’s cool – I might be biased.  I just know that the talent and cohesion of the rest of the band has made everyone better.  Eaton, Skip, Barraco, Dino, Rob, Lisa (be still my heart) – they are the best in the business!

My musical taste lacks variety and diversity – so I’m probably the wrong person to give an honest assessment.  I will say that I’m so happy to see more musicians pouring their time and energy into this music.  I’ve seen some regional bands give this music it’s due and had some truly excellent experiences.  Since my role is father, husband and exploited human capital, I don’t have nearly as much time to see the music that I love as I used to.  DSO is nationwide and I can only take my spins when they’re in the neighborhood.  That’s why I appreciate it when other bands come through to play this music at cozy little bar-rooms .  It ain’t DSO, but I can plug into the energy and take it as far as it can go – and sometimes a step or two further.

Here’s to more and more musicians (and their children) getting bitten by the bug.  Things are looking good for this music but I hope we end up with an embarrassment of riches as the years flash by.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
21 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

I had a 4 year old tell me yesterday that they weren't talking to me anymore cause all I say is what what what what. 

Your tuning is currently set to understanding tour people. It's a completely different language than kid. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Sucks.....in a rush...at Lowe's.  Way behind....leaving Thursday...and if they don't put a going down the road feeling bad right when I pull up.

I am so strong.  In many ways... I promise....I am weak to the music.  I am staying, listening...killing minutes...but gaining goose bumps.....

God I love this sound.   No matter the era....gdtfb always makes me smile no matter the moment. 

A good hint to some of y'all.  If you want to shut me up....turn this song on, and I will start dancing!!!  Why does it mean so much to me.  Where inside does it come from?

On to Saturday night...back to business!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Would you even know me if you did not know I was a tad nutty?

Thanks for allowing me to share some darkness.  Internal battles on forums probably not the best idea, but you had to like how i connected so many songs to so much of life.   A struggle for sure, but what is life with out sharing both the bad and glad.  Otherwise it would just be Facebook...:(.  

Thanks for the reach out:)!!   

Probably could of just posted this instead.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Confused (neutral) 1

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

going on 14 years since Zevon left us, time and distance are two weird variables we all get to experience and come to grips with

He will be remembered forever as an excitable boy. We are the better for him having been here, and he is sorely missed. What a body of work he left us.

Never thought I'd have to pay so dearly
For what was already mine...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Not sure why I look backwards so much these days.  Times more simple, less chaotic.  Life has always been chaos, who am I kidding. 

I do miss this stuff though. 

I do miss the scene.  RFK, A 100,000 plus, and you find friends and your truck in the far out spaces of that venue.  See people from each show to the next.  Yoou see them more and more and eventually you realized, you to were that familure face that they see.  It eventually turns into a community,  a family.  Dysfunctional, for sure, but one with rules, sentiments, curiosities, and though changes happen it has not seem too fade away.  

Hope y'all remember to tell the ones you love that you love them.  Hearing it makes it real, acting on it makes it worth loving back.  

Hope someone reads this today tomorrow and it reminds them to tell their mom, gf, wife, child, grandparent,  a friend, a stranger.....that you love and want to share it.  It helps others do the same.