Random thoughts and randomness in general

Rude

• Forum MVP
13 hours ago, Hoosh said:

There is. The VIP there is the front part of the balcony that is - according to the good folks at the National - 50 feet from the stage. I sat there last November (great story on how I got that ticket swap) and the seated view is spectacular.

It’s not just the seats though. I’ve sat in the balcony for many shows there. The seats and the view just aren’t as good. Rather, it’s the private entrance, the private bathrooms, the private bar, and the general “uncrowdedness” that is well worth the price of admission that I desire. 

The National, however, doesn’t sell individual show VIP passes; one purchases a VIP pass for a year at $5000 that gets you two tickets to every show for that calander year from purchase. 9/10ths of the shows there interest me not one bit, but for the others, based of of my one singular lucky experience, it is worth finding someone not going to the show.

You would have to have very diverse musical tastes to make use of that. Would only take 65 shows or so to break even. Plus you get primo tix for 

Lil Baby and posse

NBA Youngboy

rupaul’s drag race(boing)

and rainbow kitten surprise. 

Where can I sign up. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

So, I’m working for an older couple today who are from England originally. When I finished, stepped inside to get paid. The husband comes in to the kitchen and says, ‘today is the fiftieth anniversary of ‘Hey Jude’. The English are proud of their Beatles. She has told me about how she saw them perform in England when she was a young lady. She said she was a little older than most of the girls in the crowd.  (Funny, she never said anything about male fans) but you couldn’t hear them playing for all the screaming. I told them how the Grateful Dead would intertwine that song with Dear Mister Fantasy, literally play two songs at once. They weren’t impressed. Today is the fiftieth anniversary of Hey Jude.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

The fiftieth anniversary of the release of Dear Mr Fantasy was last year. Perhaps they were also big fans of Traffic and, in their reserved British manner, simply too polite to overtly express their disgust at what they regard as the Yank way of desecrating such masterpieces.

• Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

She said she was a little older than most of the girls in the crowd.  (Funny, she never said anything about male fans) but you couldn’t hear them playing for all the screaming.

Might be because there weren't many male fans in the early years.  I remember when they released their first songs the girls loved the Beatles ("Oh, he's so cute"), and the boys hated them (" funny lookin' long haired weirdos"). 

Considering the Amps they used (on the American tour anyway) you' be lucky to hear them at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Frank and I planted 110 acres of soybeans on his organic farm early summer. A flush of weeds took over after the last cultivating, choked out the soybeans, no light getting through. It will be unharvestable. Long story, but problems with the organic alfalfa also. He’s gonna lose about a hundred grand but still bought the seed and did all the work. Humbling.

• Sad (neutral) 1

• Forum MVP

Wow. 

Have you ever tried growing quinoa? Just curious. I heard it is very drought tolerant. Quinoa could one day help solve the world hunger problem. Read an article about San Fran company that looks at weather trends and predicts with amazing accuracy the best time to plant. The guy used to be a stock broker and used same modalities to help farmers. . Familiar with milpa? The three sisters? Corn beans squash. Symbiotic plants. There are tracks of land in Mexico that have been repetitively farmed for 4,000 years without depletion of the soil. 

Captain Jim’s Dead bug did the trick for my tomatoes. Very cool as it is made from a bacteria found only in some abandoned Caribbean warehouse. Weird science, for sure. I had these cute little orange nymphs on my zinnias that jumped to lunch on my tomatoes. I captured and drowned them in soapy water. Catching the mature Stinkbugs was a trick though. The compost we used yielded great results- 6 1/2 ft tall tomato plants!!!  A company picks up our food scraps and we can request at no charge compost whenever for $22/ mth. 

I know now that is nothing compared to what you do - just my journey.

• Forum MVP
On 8/30/2018 at 7:26 PM, Greg from Chestertown said:

Frank and I planted 110 acres of soybeans on his organic farm early summer. A flush of weeds took over after the last cultivating, choked out the soybeans, no light getting through. It will be unharvestable. Long story, but problems with the organic alfalfa also. He’s gonna lose about a hundred grand but still bought the seed and did all the work. Humbling.

Wheres the bailout. 

• Forum MVP

Great question. Hard to say. Things would have been different but I think the cover bands would still be around. Some were there when Jer Bear was alive. Local bar bands. Would they thrive like nowadays? Probably not. Heck, if you ask me, Dead and company is a dead cover band. Dark Star Orchestra has captured that intangible that the he Dead had. Experimental group music moving forward into uncharted waters. That’s what separates them from all of the others. What was your original question?

• Forum MVP

I’d say if Jerry was still touring there wouldn’t be National dead acts like Dso and JRAD. You would have lots of local bands but I don’t see with dead touring 70 shows a year if people would follow another one.