Random thoughts and randomness in general

Rude

• Forum MVP

I respect the guy as a performer and a songwriter. He has a very dedicated fan base. And I know we can all identify with that. I’ve heard the same positive reviews about his live performances. I’d hold my tongue if I was ever up east. Lol. My boy has a similar dislike for John Mellencamp. And living in Indiana I have to tell him to dial it back. People love that guy round here. 😆😂

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

This is exactly why God invented Vanilla AND Chocolate ice cream. We all have different tastes. I believe they all bow their heads to Dylan, though. 

I used to tell my daughter when she’d get feelings hurt as a friend buddied up and she felt left out in that moment that she was an amazing hot fudge sundae and just because someone felt like key lime pie or chocolate cake it is no way diminished her sundae. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
On 10/21/2018 at 11:50 AM, Greg from Chestertown said:

Here’s a thought that should stimulate conversation. The Grateful Dead is a one hit wonder. 

Which one hit wonder do you mean?

Touch?

f7d59f459fae17655b2b9076dee4cbd4_395.jpg

Other?

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I heard the term in my travels and it got me thinking, so, I looked it up. Touch of grey was in the top forty so, technically, they’re a one hit wonder. They’re in some good company. Hendrix with watchtower. It was an interesting list but I am drawing a blank on the other big names. You know how it is. If it’s not about the Grateful Dead, it’s like listening to Charlie Browns’ teacher.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
28 minutes ago, bs69 said:

Heard the Sammy Hagar song Heavy Metal on the way home from work tonight, reminded me of how much I loved that movie when I was 14

Yes! A true classic, and not to be confused with Bakshi’s equally wonderful Heavy Traffic!

• Forum MVP

Saw Phish on Wednesday in Nashville. Amazing Pit tix. Pretty fun time. But....the phish crowd was not at all like a dead crowd.  The panic crowd was half dressed in GD attire and most of the people were big deadheads too. Actually almost everyone I talked to at panic had seen dso within the last year or 2. The phish crowd was loud and obnoxious. Nonstop yelling and whooing. During quiet singing half the damn crowd was yelling at trey because their voice could be heard. If you think a dead crowd is a sausage fest, this was twice as bad. But they travel. Everyone I met was far from home. It was def not a southern crowd where everyone is chatting up their neighbors. There may be things I don’t like about the south but there’s no where I’d rather live besides Cali and who can afford to buy a place out there in today’s market. Abandoned properties in the desert are 200k and that doesn’t include a roof or windows or neighbors for 15 miles.  That does include a metal fence though as all properties in the middle of nowhere are fenced to keep the cowboys out who are on the run heading to Mexico. 

• Forum MVP

I ran into my cousin last night at our uncle’s viewing. He was at the Jrad show last Saturday night n DC. He said it was phenomenal. He described it as Led Zeppelin meets the Grateful Dead. High energy. His eyes were popping out of his head while he talked about it. He was pretty excited. 

• Forum MVP
39 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

I ran into my cousin last night at our uncle’s viewing. He was at the Jrad show last Saturday night n DC. He said it was phenomenal. He described it as Led Zeppelin meets the Grateful Dead. High energy. His eyes were popping out of his head while he talked about it. He was pretty excited. 

So after several shows I realized JRAD uses some filter that gives the arena type special sound like its bouncing everywhere. It creates a hollow type sound where you barely hear the high hats and cymbals.  JRAD is awesome but wish they wouldn’t do that. Dso’s sound is direct and clear unless they decide to space it out at times but not the whole show. It sounds like a dead audience recording to an extent. The dead didn’t make the music sound like that. It just recorded like that from the bouncing in an arena but 30 feet from stage in a tall ceiling theater should be crystal clear live. At times all you hear are the toms. The highs don’t come through. I asked people at my 1st show what’s wrong with the sound. In the Anthem as well as Philly it was like that. That being said, they are a fantastic group musically put on a top notch show. We got to hang out with Tom Hamilton at the Philly train station, well he was next to us in line for the Train from Philly to DC for 30 minutes so we were interrogating him, and saw the rest of the band when w arrived in DC and asked them about Jazz Fest. Can’t believe the girls failed to get a pic with Oteill when we said hi. Really they should have gotten a whole band pic. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Wasn't the case in Hampton.  Shakestreet decked out with heads recalling lots of glory days with Jerry in the mother ship. Phish is rocking hard this tour and it's  a trip fest. Joe Walsh's Walk Away to close out first set, first night. Littlefeat's Skin it Back  second song into 3rd night. Tonight they raged a Moonage Daydream out of Mercury.  Lots of wonderful women at Hampton and the cops let everything roll with not a single black eye. Gotta love general admission for three nights with a huge parking lot scene from 2pm to 1am. Now's never been a better time to get some extremely powerful light shows in and they're playing peak. 

I also recommend getting in as many Billy Strings shows as he is scheduling some solo shows next year. That banjo player is wild and competent enough to break off into his own band. Billy's run them ragged but right this past year. His Pontiac new year's run is gonna culminate a year near perfect playing and psychedelia. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Looks like a "freebird" encore request was finally honored! The band played Halloween dressed as eagles and played bird songs all night . Opening and closing the first set (well second song in) with the Grateful Dead's Birdsong...we're looking forward to his Nye run in Pontiac,  

10/31/18 — Billy Strings, Tractor Tavern, Seattle

Learning To Fly
Bird Song
Hollow Heart
While I’m Waiting Here
The First Whippoorwill
Turmoil & Tinfoil
Feathers
Pyramid Country>
Wings For Wheels>
Born To Be Wild>
Bird Song

And Your Bird Can Sing
A Robin Built A Nest On Daddy’s Grave
Thirst Mutilator>
Dust In A Baggie
Seven Bridges Road
White Dove
Flying Over Water
Dealing Despair
On The Line
Meet Me At The Creek

E: Freebird >
I’ll Fly Away

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
On 10/26/2018 at 10:52 PM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Wasn't the case in Hampton.  Shakestreet decked out with heads recalling lots of glory days with Jerry in the mother ship. Phish is rocking hard this tour and it's  a trip fest. Joe Walsh's Walk Away to close out first set, first night. Littlefeat's Skin it Back  second song into 3rd night. Tonight they raged a Moonage Daydream out of Mercury.  Lots of wonderful women at Hampton and the cops let everything roll with not a single black eye. Gotta love general admission for three nights with a huge parking lot scene from 2pm to 1am. Now's never been a better time to get some extremely powerful light shows in and they're playing peak. 

I also recommend getting in as many Billy Strings shows as he is scheduling some solo shows next year. That banjo player is wild and competent enough to break off into his own band. Billy's run them ragged but right this past year. His Pontiac new year's run is gonna culminate a year near perfect playing and psychedelia. 

Nice. So you did all 3 nights of their Hampton run. Hampton is definitely one of the dead central areas of the country. Nashville not so much. Maybe that had something to do with it. There’s always drunk idiots at most shows hollering so maybe I was just in the middle of that group. But I have been to several Dso shows where the crowd was pin drop silent. It’s such a rare thing that it’s super special. You def won’t get that with 10k person crowds. The law of averages will tell you that when you have a small town smashed into a venue there’s bound to be a few ultra obnoxious people but with 1000 people you have a small shot at a near perfect crowd. It’s rare but you can get a Stella where not a person makes a peep. 

• 1 month later...