Random thoughts and randomness in general

Rude

• Forum MVP

Nice! I’m talking old school, though. I used to have a subscription to skateboarder magazine. When I got my latest issue in the mail, I ‘d go out front and teach myself what they were doing in California. One issue had a series of photos of a kid doing a kick flip off a curb. That’s when I gave up. I can’t even begin to wrap my head around what kids do on boards anymore. Ollie? WTF? How did you get the board to follow you when you jumped in the air? Double twist when you hit the air...(nice recovery from thread drift, huh?)

• Forum MVP
34 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Nice! I’m talking old school, though. I used to have a subscription to skateboarder magazine. When I got my latest issue in the mail, I ‘d go out front and teach myself what they were doing in California. One issue had a series of photos of a kid doing a kick flip off a curb. That’s when I gave up. I can’t even begin to wrap my head around what kids do on boards anymore. Ollie? WTF? How did you get the board to follow you when you jumped in the air? Double twist when you hit the air...(nice recovery from thread drift, huh?)

Skateboarder magazine was almost impossible to find at the news stand. When you finally got one it was like amazon. I ordered a Lucero deck and built a quarter pipe. Of course back then young kids would build that shit themselves. It was a horrible ramp. It had 2 bends in it you had to contend with and 98% of the time it led to disaster. But I’d jump on the electrical box in our yard and land perfectly in the grass from 5 feet up. Landing on concrete was a completely different animal. I was a great tic tacker. I could do that for a mile without having to push.  An Ollie?  No way we thought about shit like that. A fakie on a friends ramp was a pro style move back then lol. 

• Forum MVP

I lived in a small neighborhood, twelve houses. Ours was the last one before the cul-de-sac. My neighbors front yard was a hill right at the edge of the street. We would lay two sheets of plywood my dad had on their front yard at the edge of the street. That was our ramp. We were stoked (remember that word?) if we would ride up and kick turn with only one wheel still on the ramp. I grew up in Wilmington, De. My mom would drive me to the foot of the Delaware Memorial  Bridge, drop me off so that I could skate the drainage ditches, thcn come back and pick me up before dinner. Try getting away with that one these days, you’d get locked up for sure. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I have two different hawks, about six different deer, a bard owl, a couple of turkeys, one with eight little ones a couple of weeks ago, all showing up in my backyard on a regular basis at different times of the day, night, week, to hunt or just graze. I had two fawns bedded down a couple of weeks ago. The best I can figure, they’re coming to get a closer listen to the Grateful Dead music that I am playing in the house. It’s the only thing that makes any sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

39 years ago today, I had it done to me by the Grateful Dead for the first time. About four days before, a girl friend of mine and I were walking across the parking lot at the Mann music center in Philly to meet up with about a dozen friends at a James Taylor concert. Two guys were arguing in the parking lot. ‘Thirty’. ‘No, thirty five’. I walked up to them and asked what they were arguing about. ‘ two tickets for the Grateful Dead Saturday night’. I immediately pulled out my wallet and said ‘I ‘ll give you thirty five.’ 

My first show is pretty much a blur, remembering only that it was like nothing else I had ever experienced. We sat, mesmerized, watching the people as much as the band. Smiling the whole time. Seven weeks later, I ‘m getting snuck into Radio City, catching an acoustic 15th anniversary show. Two shows later, I’m going to a show by myself, without a ticket. No problem. Thirty nine years later, I just caught a Dark Star Orchestra show down the beach while they were passing through. Life is good. 

• Like (+1) 3

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

Had a delightful experience the other day. Figured those here would appreciate it. Bought a concert ticket for Del McCoury at the Buskirk Chumley where DSO played an acoustic show a few years back. Best part was when it was all said and done a $55 ticket cost..........$55!!! It was so refreshing. Wish more places could/would do this. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
12 hours ago, Dead duck said:

..... a $55 ticket cost..........$55!!! ....

Now that's the way it should be. The advertised cost ought to be the actual cost. There should not be extra fees added on for "the right to buy a ticket", "delivery charge", "print it charge" , "walk throgh the venue's door charge", "listen to the music charge", "extra dancing charge"  " and now this extra insurance charge to convince you that the ticket we just sold you is not a fake ticket.

One late night Rudd asked me how much was the ticket the first time I saw the Grateful Dead.  I had to think a bit to remember but told him it was free !...There was no ticket because it was a free show in the Park.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I think John Mayer is getting it. Can there be too much awareness?  We are all better by the transformative nature of this music. I’ve been saying for a couple of years that the tone d Mayer’s guitar was all wrong. He has figured that one out, too. It sounded great this past weekend. And I cracked up as Bobby’s eyes cut over towards Mayer as he did his own flourish, one of his lead runs, during Ripple encore. He is getting his own wings within the construct of the music. .

and there’s this 

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/john_mayer_explains_how_he_changed_forever_from_playing_jerry_garcias_iconic_grateful_dead_guitar_with_dead__company.html

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Don't suffer in silence and don't be ashamed.  Please talk to someone - it's ok to be sad and it's ok to ask for help.  Life can feel like it's more than you can handle and sometimes you gotta lean on someone for help.

Remember to always be kind because you never know what another person is going through.

• Like (+1) 5

Good morning Tea,

You a person I have never meant just made my day with your comments. I have been off the board for some time dealing with "mid life" sadness and sure as shit I get on today and I see your comments. This proves "strangers can help strangers" in the craziest ways. Thank you brother for helping me see the light and to understand we are not alone in this world and its ok to ask for help. I promise you Tea I will pass this on to another person in need. The sun is shinning in my back & front door today!!!  YIP!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 7

10 hours ago, deadheadmike07 said:

Good morning Tea,

You a person I have never meant just made my day with your comments. I have been off the board for some time dealing with "mid life" sadness and sure as shit I get on today and I see your comments. This proves "strangers can help strangers" in the craziest ways. Thank you brother for helping me see the light and to understand we are not alone in this world and its ok to ask for help. I promise you Tea I will pass this on to another person in need. The sun is shinning in my back & front door today!!!  YIP!!!!!!

dude, you know I'm here to help..its bix,,, touch base if you want to chat..love you bro.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:43 AM, PoetryGirl said:

I think John Mayer is getting it. Can there be too much awareness?  We are all better by the transformative nature of this music. I’ve been saying for a couple of years that the tone d Mayer’s guitar was all wrong. He has figured that one out, too. It sounded great this past weekend. And I cracked up as Bobby’s eyes cut over towards Mayer as he did his own flourish, one of his lead runs, during Ripple encore. He is getting his own wings within the construct of the music. .

and there’s this 

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/john_mayer_explains_how_he_changed_forever_from_playing_jerry_garcias_iconic_grateful_dead_guitar_with_dead__company.html

halloween was best d & c show ive seen to date..easy