Random thoughts and randomness in general

Rude

On 12/13/2019 at 11:54 AM, Tea said:

Barraco is wise.

"Has playing this music so much and with everyone you have played with given you a larger picture of what IT is? Along with most deadheads, I would venture to guess that it is more than just music, or maybe it is just music at its finest. It's fun to speculate, only fifty or so years from its inception here, what the Grateful Dead is."

"The beauty and mystery of chemistry. Why do we fall in love with just certain people? When the chemistry is working, you feel like a flock of geese or birds or fish. All flying in the same direction yet like a double helix with all sorts of twists and turns.
The Dead has become a cultural phenomena above and beyond the music."

Hey, I know who asked that question! Rob's answer, eloquent and thought provoking. It is interesting to me, from what I gather from his answer, that to him, playing music with the band feels similar to how it feels to me on the dance floor, when it's really good and you are surrounded by other enthusiastic dancers, friends or strangers. The element of grace feels tangible and accessible ❤️

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

I think it was Jerry who said it was ‘group music’  that they were trying to achieve. 

I read somewhere where Bobby describes that special moment when they successfully achieve what they were trying to get at, as basically ‘the music plays the band’. 

It definitely requires the audience to achieve that point. 

The draw for me is that every note matters. You have to listen to every note. Same song, different version, you gotta listen to every note. This is not background music. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Grateful Dead Movie really does a great job of conveying many of the facets of the Grateful Dead concert experience, which was Jerry's goal with it. From the deadheads of all shapes and sizes, to the exasperated cop dealing with the "getting my space together" guy, to the shamelessly ogling food vendor, to the crew setting up the equipment, to the guys sweeping up at the end. 

The last time I watched the movie, however, was the first time I noticed that Jerry could have been also trying to convey what it is like to be a member of the band. There is a point where the footage cuts to Phil, soaked with sweat, locked deep in the throes of a hot Playin' jam, with the band working their way toward the reprise.

The angle is sort of from behind the neck of his bass, which first gave me this idea that, maybe this is kind of how it would feel on stage. As they get to the repeating figure, which precedes the reprise, the footage cuts to Jerry, playing that repeating figure over and over, bringing the volume lower and lower, with him mouthing "shhh" to the band, masterfully bringing the dynamics down to a pin drop, and upon reaching the "turn around", bringing them back up, to full volume at the point of release, when the band slams back into the reprise.

I think Jerry was trying to let us know how it feels from the stage. Just something I noticed on my last viewing of the Movie, check it out next time you watch it 😃

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Thanks for that thoughtful analysis Hardpan. 

I try and rewatch the movie once every year or two and I always get something new out of it every time...

I still think it would be well worth if somehow a similarly approached documentary could be created trying to capture and convey the DSO experience. It's such a unique thing...

Quality footage on perspectives from both sides of the rail...all of the thought, intention, attention and care brought to this scene by those involved...

• Like (+1) 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
40 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

I think I figured it out last night. Dead and Company is a Dark Star Orchestra tribute band. 

I love that Bobby is still Truckin.  Maybe only Willie Nelson and Wayne Newton have performed as much as Bob.  

I’m just thankful that DSO keeps up the pace.  I’ll bet I could dance in slow-motion but only if I have no choice.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

One of my favorites- if you have the patience and time. 

Parable of The Little Soul .... by Neale Donald Walsch

There once was a little soul who knew itself to be the light.  This  was a new soul, and so, anxious for experience. "I am the light,"  it said. "I am the light." Yet all the knowing of it and all the saying of it could not substitute for the experience of it. And in the realm from which this soul emerged, there was nothing but the light.

Every soul was grand, every soul was magnificent, and every soul shone with the brilliance of MY awesome light. And so the little soul in question was as a candle in the sun. In the midst of the grandest light- of which it was a part- it could not see itself, nor experience itself as Who and What it Really Is.

Now it came to pass, that the little soul yearned and yearned to know itself. And so great was its yearning that "I" one day said, "Do you know little one, what you must do to satisfy this yearning of yours?" "Oh what, God? what? I'll do anything!? The little soul said.

"You must separate yourself from the rest of us," I answered, "and then you must call upon yourself the darkness."

"You may choose to be any Part of God you wish to be," I said to the little soul.

"You are the Absolute Divinity, experiencing Itself. What Aspect of Divinity do you now wish to experience as you?"

"You mean I have a choice," ask the little soul.

I answered, "Yes." You may choose to experience any Aspect of Divinity in, as, and through you."

"Okay," said the little soul, then I choose forgiveness. I want to experience my Self as that Aspect of God called Complete Forgiveness."

Well, this created a little challenge, as you can imagine. 

There was no one to forgive. All I have created is Perfection and Love

"No one to forgive?" asked the Little Soul, somewhat incredulously.

"No one," I repeated. "Look around you. Do you see any souls less perfect, less wonderful than you?"

As the Little soul twirled around, and was surprised to see himself surrounded by all the souls in heaven. They came from far and wide throughout the Kingdom, because they had heard the little soul was having an extraordinary conversation with God.

"I see none less perfect than I," the Little Soul exclaimed." Who then, shall I have to forgive?"

Just then another soul stepped forward from the crowd. "You may forgive me," said the Friendly Soul.

"For what?" the little soul asked.

"I will come onto your next physical lifetime and do something for you to forgive," replied the Friendly Soul.

"But what? What could you, a being of such Perfect Light, do to  make me forgive you?" the Little Soul wanted to know.

"Oh," smiled the Friendly Soul, I'm sure we can think of
something."

"But why would you want to do this?" The Little Soul could not figure out why a being of such perfection would want to slow down its vibration so much that it could actually do something "bad."

"Simple," the Friendly Soul explained," I would do it because I love you. You want to experience your Self as Forgiving, don't you? Besides, you have done the same for me."

"I have?" asked the Little Soul.

"Of course. Don't you remember? We've been All Of It, you and I.

We've been the Up and the Down of it, and the Left and Right of it.

We've been the Here and Now of it, and the Now and Then of it.

We've  been the Big and Small of it, the Male and Female of it, the Good and Bad of it. We've been the All of it.

"And we've done it by agreement, so that each of us might experience ourselves as The Grandest Part of God. For we have understood that.....

"In the absence of that which You Are Not, that Which You Are, is NOT.

"In the absence of 'cold,' you cannot be 'warm.' In the absence of 'sad,' you cannot be 'happy,' without a thing called 'evil,' the experience you call 'good' cannot exist.

If you choose to be a thing, something or someone opposite to that has to show up somewhere in your universe to make that possible."

The Friendly Soul then explained that those people are God's Special Angels, and these conditions God's Gifts.

"I ask only one thing in return, " the Friendly Soul declared.

"Anything! Anything," the Little Soul cried. He was excited now to know that he could experience every Divine Aspect of God. He understood, now The Plan.

"In the moment that I strike you and smite you," said the Friendly Soul, " in the moment that I do the worst to you that you could ever  imagine---in that self-same moment....remember Who I Really Am."

"Oh, I won't forget!" promised the Little Soul. "I will see you in the perfection with which I hold you now, and I will remember Who You Are, always."

"What is this darkness, O' Holy One?" the little soul ask.

"That which you are not," I replied, and the soul understood.

So this the soul did, removing itself from the All, yea, going even onto another realm.

And in this realm the soul had the power to call onto its experience all sorts of darkness. And this it did.

Yet in the midst of all the darkness did it cry out:

"Father, Father, why hast Thou forsaken me?" Even as have you in your blackest times. Yet I have never forsaken you, but stand by you always, ready to remind you of Who You Really Are; ready, always ready, to call you home.

Therefore, be a light unto the darkness, and curse it not.

And forget not Who You Are in the moment of your encirclement by that which you are not. But do you praise to the creation, even as you seek to change it.

And know that what you do in the time of your greatest trial can be your greatest triumph. For the experience you create is a statement of Who You Are..... and Who You Want To Be....

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Hey Gr8fulpair - PLEASE tell me this was your  reviewer comment on Archive for 8/26/88 (Tacoma Dome):

Reviewer: gr8fulpair - - July 29, 2010
Subject: Gimme a break......

Hey JBOYAGUAR, (aka douche bag) there is no bad sex and there are no bad Grateful Dead shows, just varying degrees of great. Take your Websters New World Dictionary, your third grade writing skills and get a life.

• Like (+1) 1
  • LMAO 2

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, Tea said:

Hey Gr8fulpair - PLEASE tell me this was your  reviewer comment on Archive for 8/26/88 (Tacoma Dome):

Reviewer: gr8fulpair - - July 29, 2010
Subject: Gimme a break......

Hey JBOYAGUAR, (aka douche bag) there is no bad sex and there are no bad Grateful Dead shows, just varying degrees of great. Take your Websters New World Dictionary, your third grade writing skills and get a life.

Guilty as charged... 

I was a young defensive punk in my 40's then and while I don't recall what he said to set me off, he was prob right about that show cause I was there, and it was rough. Many are familiar with this show as one of their worst, which is a shame cause Santana opened and killed it! They redeemed 2 days later, on my birthday, at Autzen Stadium, with Jimmy Cliff and Robert Cray.

• Like (+1) 3
  • LMAO 1

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

he was prob right about that show cause I was there, and it was rough. Many are familiar with this show as one of their worst, which is a shame cause Santana opened and killed it! They redeemed 2 days later, on my birthday, at Autzen Stadium, with Jimmy Cliff and Robert Cray.

DSO opened the west coast tour in Seattle last year with the Tacoma dome show and brought new life and beauty to it ❇️

Your birthday Autzten show with Jimmy Cliff and Robert Cray was my first GD show....didn't sleep a wink that night...my innocent little 16 yr old mind was blown for good....!

• Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Island Bro said:

DSO opened the west coast tour in Seattle last year with the Tacoma dome show and brought new life and beauty to it ❇️

Your birthday Autzten show with Jimmy Cliff and Robert Cray was my first GD show....didn't sleep a wink that night...my innocent little 16 yr old mind was blown for good....!

Damn bro, we been dancing together for 32yrs, haha that's awesome!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

I remember when DSO recreated that show because that’s the date that my son was born. I caught the Grateful Dead two weeks later and they were fine. Reviews of the Original Tacoma show are all about the sound being awful. I guess the sound man can have an off night. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Happy Valentines!
My love of DSO, where I really got on the bus to stay,  began 6 years ago tonight. I was at the Charlotte show  and lightning struck me at the core close to the first of the second set. I kid not when I say there was an earthquake in Edgefield County, SC ,  where my 4th great grandfather settled in 1801,  that night around 10:23 or so after leaving Surrey County Virginia where my 6th great grandfather- 8 generations ago- was born 9 milea from Jamestown in 1667. Sign comes in powerful ways and I’m glad I paid attention because my life has been enriched deeply since then to say the least. Have a beautiful day and ❤️  to you all! 

• Like (+1) 4

18 hours ago, Cosmic Mike said:

I've been enjoying this guitar teacher break down the Jerry parts of some live Grateful Dead. My understanding is he isn't really that familiar with the Dead, but he seems to be enjoying it quite a bit. Apologies if someone has already posted this.

The comments crack me up as the Dead Faithful are bombarding him with versions and dates they want broken down. Let him break down Stranger 3/30/84.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I bet there are a handful of good stories around here regarding cell phone loss or disasters....

Talked to a friend last night who literally had his fall into the toilet...He mentioned that after I shared that on Friday eve of this weekend, I was out on my driveway about to get in the car and go commune with the sunset at the beach and I was scrambling around,,moving some rolls of fencing around out of the way just before I got in the car and split...little did I know that as I was doing so, my cell phone jumped out of my coat pocket and onto the driveway and it turns out ( I discovered when I returned...) that I ran over that sucker on my way out...crunched the hell out of it...totally toast.

Moral of the story is that,,while it has been a significant inconvenience suddenly losing my phone access (with nothing backed up in my limited tech capacities..),,,I gotta admit,,,there's part of me that is thoroughly enjoying going old school and having no ability to text in or out for a handful of days....

I appreciate these useful tools,,,but......it's also nice to get some space from that particular tool....

😜

• Like (+1) 1