Random thoughts and randomness in general

Rude

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Brian NJ said:

Although New Jersey gets a bad rap it is a good place to live. It is the Garden State and not sure how I would fare without Jersey corn and Jersey tomatoes not to mention all the other great fruits and vegetable grown here. I have spent 10 plus years traveling into New York City daily, Manhattan Brooklyn mostly. I would much rather live where I live and travel to the city. It takes just as much time for me to go to the city as to the beach or to Ken Lockwood Gorge or many other areas that are beautiful parts of New Jersey. I couldn't handle living anywhere near a place like "try that small town" I get very nervous when I am surrounded by nothing but Caucasian people. Except at a Grateful Dead like event...

we are 75% Caucasian here. We are the tiny blue blip. And….DSO actually played a show here in 2003 at our 3k capacity performing arts center. I was living in Nashville at the time. My life is quiet and hibernation until travel. It used to be 8-9 months hibernation and up to 4 months travel but that was unsustainable and I suspect if we stayed in NOLA a 9th day during jazzfest 2019, I’d have gone into liver failure. Night 8 at voodoo dead having a smoke outside I sorta fell out not realizing i was turning sideways and some guys caught me. That place will kill you!! 

i hate traffic. Hate it. Rush hour Nashville daily sucked. Never want that again. 

• 4 months later...
  • Forum MVP

We were listening to the 1980 radio City acoustic sets and Mei said did they play operator. So I look and am like no. So grab deadbase and evidently I’ve never really thought about operator. Dead only played it 4x ever and in 1970. Looking back I have only seen Dso play it 2x as they play it 1-2x maybe a year. Never thought about it really. Sorta weird when you research so many songs never really thought much about operator. 

• Forum MVP
21 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

I've seen a few DSO operators if you go to one of the announced acoustic shows it's almost a guarantee. 

my 2nd Dso show was an acoustic Bloomington IN show in 2013 and got one. It was the only accoustic show I’ve seen. The caverns accoustic were cancelled. I do remember DSO bantering with each other and with the crowd all show which I didn’t even know was rare at the time. Me and a buddy were the only ones standing up by the rail in the pit and Eaton tells everyone to move up front into the pit as everyone else was seated. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to be disappointed every time I see a new venue/city announcement. No RVA shows since 11/17-18/22. Nothing on the horizon.  Thankfully, Suggesting Rhythm is playing 9 shows at the Broadberry this Spring, Summer, and Fall…

• Forum MVP
30 minutes ago, Hoosh said:

I seem to be disappointed every time I see a new venue/city announcement. No RVA shows since 11/17-18/22. Nothing on the horizon.  Thankfully, Suggesting Rhythm is playing 9 shows at the Broadberry this Spring, Summer, and Fall…

gotta hop in a car and make a road trip. Dso hasn’t played a show less than 2 hours from us in around 20 years. We fill the tank with gas and open Waze and enter the address where we are going then follow its instructions and voila, we are at a show so many hours later!!! It’s worked 200+ times and counting. Before they came up with GPS, it was impossible to make shows but now it’s not!! 1st step is get to a car lot and purchase a car then install a good GPS on your smartphone. If no smartphone, pick up a Garmin at Best Buy. I’m still holding onto my gsrmin stock hoping people will stop using phones and go back to standalone GPS. Can’t get any worse than losing 95% of its value but I was sure that Amazon was a trend and doubled down on Sears. 

• Forum MVP

Local shows are great but DSO has been giving us some serious destination shows lately. Europe. Jackson Hole. Hawaii. The Greek. Red Rocks. Plus some great festivals. Jubilee Skull and roses etc. I never really loved the National. Oversold. Ass to nuts. Not surprised the band has moved on a bit. You used to get Pocahontas in Va but the police wouldn't leave us alone. They still do DC fairly regular and I haven't been but I hear the new venue there is awesome. 930 club was ass to nuts too.

• Forum MVP

I hope you not implying we do. We have a grandma that jumped all over coming to Hawaii with us if we footed most of the bill. It's okay to say you don't have the money but nanny isn't required and the insinuation is insulting to Whitney sfo has been up most of the night the last two nights. Who watch your kid while you were at hyryder?

• Forum MVP

You did have a babysitter at jubilee last year. Just sayin. That’s why I joke about the nanny. And I don’t have the money to spare for 2 Hawaii shows. If no baby we’d likely be there but 5k for 2 shows ain’t happening. My parents live at their beach house 3 months of the year. She kept him last weekend but not flying to Hawaii unless staying a week or so and that’s 10k and definitely a no. Plus I don’t want to be away from him for long periods like Europe. We can’t wait until he’s ready for a show but it ain’t now. He’s ultra happy with endless energy. We’d just be chasing him around and good luck with asking him to stay put. It’s 55 outside and he refuses to put shoes on. He’s a barefoot kid as it is but when it’s this temp he considers warm I can barely get a shirt on him lol. The whole beach week last year he was shirtless inside and out lol. He’s bruised all over being so rough but never cries. They say don’t be like oh crap are you ok or it will make the kid think he should cry. Not this one. He thinks it will make us make him stop so he never cries but that’s a product of his wild man personality. Thought a trampoline would wear him down. Nope. I’m getting him into football. Strong safety as he’s gonna prob be 6’ or 6’1” and not skinny like his daddy. My moms freaking out already about wanting him to play football. 

• Forum MVP

A babysitter and a nanny are two way different things. So what you're saying is you had a nanny for hyryder? We are staying 10 days in Hawaii making it a family vacation. We will be dipping lil Ricky's feet in that ocean. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Respect to both you guys for taking on the hardest and most important job there is…being a parent! Whether you make it to shies or not I don’t know what could be more important than helping babies and kids grow!

• Forum MVP

Shows are way less important than before. He should be ready for his 1st jubilee in 2028 I’d guess. Getting away fit a weekend here and there is awesome but I’m pretty mentally tired and feel lucky to have gotten 5 Dso shows on fall tour. The drive home Sunday night from Chattanooga sucked but was necessary to get max shows. We will pop Dso every time they are within 6 hours of us as long as weekend. It sorta sucked that we had 5 Dso and 3 phish all in a 1 month period. 

• Forum MVP

We caught the alligators and shakedown last night at so many roads. Shakedown is a solid solid local dead band. The alligator are loud and obnoxious just like pig music should be but lack the overall chemistry and depth of shakedown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Has DSO ever performed 3/21/93 Atlanta show? What a wild one! 

• Feel Like a Stranger
    West L.A. Fadeaway
    Black-Throated Wind
    Candyman
    Queen Jane Approximately
    Brown Eyed Women
    Eternity
    Liberty

Samson and Delilah
    Long Way Home
    Broken Arrow
    Saint of Circumstance
    He's Gone
    drums
    I Need a Miracle
    The Days Between
    Around and Around

Baba O'Riley
    Tomorrow Never Knows

im in love  with Tomorrow Never Knows…. Ever since the pandemic. …. It was like a salve to my soul through that terribly, scary time. 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Has DSO ever performed 3/21/93 Atlanta show? What a wild one! 

It appears they have not - They've done 2 1993 shows since Jeff joined, but did 3/20/93 twice during the JK era.  All tolled, DSO history contains 43 recreations of 1993 GD shows.  Surprised it was this many but after 3200+ shows, there's bound to be more of everything than you think.  Tomorrow never knows doesn't really do it for me although I do like the trippy dissonant aspect of that song 

• Forum MVP

Yes the trippy discordance is great but the lyrics…. 

Turn off your mind
Relax, and float downstream
It is not dying
It is not dying

Lay down all thoughts, surrender to the void
It is shining, it is shining
That you may see, the meaning of within
It is being, it is being

That love is all and love is everyone
It is knowing, it is knowing
That ignorance and hate may mourn the dead
It is believing, it is believing