Fall Tour Announced!

Taper Ron

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Teacher Matt said:

you never would root for Ohio State ?? ... shocking ...:blink: ... hehe

You would never root for Michigan like I'd never root for carolina basketball. Most of my friends would rather lose a hand than wish good fortune on Duke after the Christian laettner shot even though I like Duke in secret even though they rejected my college application. It would have been a pretty cool year going there. I'd have partied out of every school year 1. There's no doubt about that one. 

Doesn't matter what you wear just as long as you are there I assume doesn't apply if wearing Michigan gear in the horseshoe. 

• Forum MVP
30 minutes ago, Teacher Matt said:

So thats one no for the Buckeye/DSO day of celebration. .. :rolleyes:

I'm in ;)  gf just skip class. Look what you have done, DSO. Making a responsible good girl miss class. 

But I'm going to game. Ain't gonna be around 100k OSU fans for the fun of it. I'd im not seeing the game, no way I'd subject myself to that without actual football. 

Taper Ron,

My wife is from Salina, KS.  So, I get the pleasure ;-) of going there once or twice a year.  I've always eyed the Steifel as the cool, old school theater they have in about every town.  But, they just didn't get any decent acts there and understandably so.  It's like they didn't try and understandably so.  Salina, KS is not a hot bed of our hippy culture, to say the least.  To be frank, Salina is just not a cool, fun place.  It's very christian and pretty conservative.  As an example, when my wife was in church when she was 17 in the 80's, the preacher said during his sermon one day "AIDS is Gods punishment on homosexuals."  That was the last time she ever went to church!  Truth.  Nevertheless, the last two years, the Steifel has finally started getting some decent shows.  I think Mule just played there or is playing there.  In any case, it's a pretty cool theater in a bible thumping town of about 50,000 with a lot of old, run down strip malls and a ton of churches.  There is a decent disc golf course and a great, inexpensive, town run waterpark, a decent city arts and music festival in June and a good music instrument store.  Other than that, it's mostly chain restaurants and churches. It's really boring if you are staying there for more than a day.  In any case, I couldn't believe they are playing there either when I saw it.  I wonder what ticket sales are like.  The theater itself is cool.  It's just like the 1500-2000 seat old school theater in any town...think State Theater in Portland, ME, Beacon in NYC, Capital in Port Chester, Orpheum in Boston, etc...

BTW Ron - my wife was born in Topeka at Stormont-Vail hospital.  She's been living in the N.E. though for a long, long time.

4 hours ago, Unbroken Pete said:

Salina, KS is not a hot bed of our hippy culture, to say the least.  To be frank, Salina is just not a cool, fun place. 

That, my friend is an Understatement, but then neither is Topeka!

Welcome to the Forum Family!

Thanks Ron.  I do appreciate that.  If you don't mind, as long as we are talking about KS, let me add another one.  To me, this goes in the library of the uncanny...

I started taking guitar lessons about 9 years ago.  Early on in my lessons, maybe 1 month in, I was having a discussion with my instructor about spending money without telling your wife.  Now remember, I just met the instructor.  (FYI. I live in ME, very far from KS.  And yes, hitting the Pier tonight!) So, he tells me how he bought this sick set of studio microphones (2 sets, 4 mics in total) for $3,500 each.  He also does some recording and mastering, so sort of tools of his trade. I'm curious about this, so I start asking him some questions...like who makes them?  Is it a company or a person? etc..So he tells me it's this one guy who makes them who used to work for either Neumann or Seinheisser and is doing a reissue of the U47, a limited series of 200 of them.  He learned how to make them from the guys who designed them in Germany.  So he tells me he gets the cases from this top shelf metallurgist in Olathe (outside KC) and he used to live in Germany and brought the components with him when he moved to the US.  He used to live in Seattle, but bought an old school for $2500 on eBay and now makes them out of this old school in Gaylord, KS.  So, I about did a spit take.  Gaylord is a town of 173, surrounded by farms in the middle of KS.  Nothing but wheat and soybean fields as far as you can see.   About 6 miles from Smith Center, KS which is the middle point of the U.S.  And, it just so happens, that is where my wife's grandmother is from!  So, not only are they made in this tiny spec of town, with no traffic lights, no gas station, not even a general store.  It's just dusty streets (think tumbleweeds rolling down the road - and they do!) and old farmers and some animals.  But, I was just there two weeks prior!  So I said to him, "not only have I heard of Gaylord, KS, but I was just there."  I can't believe that someone is making those there.  It makes no sense if you've seen towns like this.  But he insists that's where they are made.  I told him there is no way anyone is making an item like that in Gaylord, KS.  But he insists they are.  So, we go check out the website and indeed, the old school he bought is in Gaylord, KS and that is indeed where he is making those mikes!  We freaked out about that for a bit because again, Gaylord, KS is out in the middle of nowhere.  There are a bunch of towns like that in KS and you would just never imagine anyone would want to move there, let alone make super high-end studio mikes.  It would have been one thing to have heard of Gaylord.  That in itself would be a big deal.  Most folks from KS have never even heard of it! But, to have been there and just been there recently really took the cake!  Later on, after he sold out of the mikes, he started making mixing boards. Unfortunately, Oliver, the owner passed away a few years back.  Here is the link to the company website if you are interested...

http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/id35.html

Have a grate day everyone!

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

Anyone around here doing the Texas shows??

I'm sending my 'neice' (daughter of very good buddy of mine,,known her since she was born,,now 22yrs young) to the Austin show this Friday for her first DSO show (and first GD anything) so I'm hoping she gets her mind blown in a good way,,,and hopefully meet some kind deadheads...she's been to the venue...sounds awesome for some outdoor DSO action...

• Forum MVP
On August 5, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Mason's Child said:

Salina is my birthday. I will be there but would expect the hometown weekend boulder shows to be more the party. My original road partner gets married the weekend before. 

Wish him congrats....

I remember well you two young hooligans bursting on the scene learning the ropes 

• Forum MVP
On 9/20/2017 at 8:23 PM, BillK522 said:

DC New venue

Anthem

Getting some buzz locally

Foo fighters opening the place

Mid October I think

I just booked my flight. Added 2 shows to my 8 I'm already doing on this tour. Life is good ;)

Archived