Solar eclipse 08/21/17

Rude

• Forum MVP

Anyone else getting a total eclipse in their hometown. I'm getting 2:19 of total eclipse and 2 hours 55 minutes of partial eclipse. I'm 20 secs short of max full eclipse so I'm right in the heart of it. 

• Forum MVP

Just what we need in AZ right now:  more intense sunlight! :)

Seriously, though - I just read about this earlier today and am definitely down.  Going to get some viewing shades and check it out with my offspring.  

It better not suck.

• Forum MVP

Rude,

We have a camp site reserved down at Mammoth Cave for it, right in the middle of the path. I believe that is fairly close to you. It is also right after Black Mountain, which should be in the path also.

• Forum MVP

We have friends we met at Los Muertos coming up to Charleston and we suggested making a detour through Black Mountain for a night to see DSO.

Wonder what else will be eclipsed? Sounds like a prime reason to play......

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, bs69 said:

Rude,

We have a camp site reserved down at Mammoth Cave for it, right in the middle of the path. I believe that is fairly close to you. It is also right after Black Mountain, which should be in the path also.

It's within a few hours. I'll be recovering at the house from BM as we won't be home until 18 hours before the eclipse. West KY is bracing for hundreds of thousands of visitors and you will be one of those. 

• Forum MVP
On 7/10/2017 at 10:58 PM, DesertDead said:

Just what we need in AZ right now:  more intense sunlight! :)

Seriously, though - I just read about this earlier today and am definitely down.  Going to get some viewing shades and check it out with my offspring.  

It better not suck.

Dont think you will get more than partial. I'm super lucky like a few others. Once every 375 years are the odds of getting a total eclipse in your town. I'm right between Hopkinsville the longest total eclipse and Carbondale, the longest overall partial/total duration. Carbondale, IL and Hopkinsville ky will be insane. And there are 2 people who do DSO tour from Carbondale. Small world or maybe that's why they are drawn to the dead. Maybe sunshine daydream is referring to how the sun will be blotted out from the sky and we all fall into a dreamlike existence for eternity and the aliens that seeded the planet with meat(humans) will come for the feast. Pretty sure some of those end of the world 2k peeps can pull some scripture to prove me right. On a related end of the world note, about 5 years ago I dated a girl who was in an end of the world cult church who believed the world would end in 2000. After the world didn't end she said she was very confused as her parents who were nuts convinced her jesus would return then.  The whole church she said was trying to come to grips why god didn't return to earth. She was a pretty normal adjusted type person when we hung out as she'd broken away from her crazy town church but it shows what brainwashing from birth can make u believe.  unfortunately the crazies are the best at brainwashing from birth and I think they breed more than the enlightened. 

• Forum MVP

Holes in the knees of my blues..

Love the sig line, RD.

And the share.  Oh, the things we men do for some ass.  Must have been a tough time for those that moved all-in on that whole end of the world thing.  

And, yeah, you're right - we're not near the meaty parts of this event (that's what she said).

Thanks again for the post, though.  I learned a few things.

• Forum MVP

I'm booking a 2-fer at my house for the 2017 and 2024 total eclipse. Only place in the world where you will get a total both times.  The star gods dig west KY. Queen blowup for both days is 200 per person double occupancy. Guest bedroom with a door, 300 a person double occupancy.  The Guest bedroom without a door 250.  I accept DSO tix as currency. Price includes 1 shower per day, soap available for a nominal fee, plus free continental breakfast consisting of a banana and water for a healthier body. Grateful Dead will also be included free. That's no cost GD people. Plus the 2017 eclipse includes pool party where you can lay on a raft and get a weird spectrum sun tan. Pretty sure when the sun is partially covered, only part of your body will tan. 

https://ibb.co/kvJwSv

https://ibb.co/kvJwSv]IMG_8612.jpg

• Forum MVP

Being in Evansville I will have to wait for 2024 to experience totally.

For this one I can drive 45 minutes for 2 minutes of totality and wthen drive home. I offer same deal as Rude except...DSO has played here.

Funny how Kentucky has fastest two minutes for everything lol...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Some thoughts I read about eclipses. Stepping out of duality into oneness is a concept held also by Native Americans. 

"We must break free of the “curse of duality” — the either-or thinking that’s plaguing so much of our discourse at the moment. Rarely is life black and white, either/or.

Dualistic thinking is what creates The Shadow in the Jungian sense. We project our monsters onto the other, so we can avoid looking at the darkness within.

Eclipses are the cosmic reminders that opposites can be complementary poles which attract one another. The eternal dance of Yin giving way to Yang, to Yang giving way to Yin.

There are no winners and losers in the dance. Only endless change." Donna Woodwell

Archived