Favorite Scarlet>Fire transitions

Ammagamalin Crew

7-01-85 There is a specific moment where things slow a bit and Jerry hits this waaahh and you know that the Fire has started.

I even snipped about 4 seconds of this, including the waaahh, and made it my notification sound on my phone years ago.  It's actually very cool, if I do say so myself, but now when I listen to this Scarlet > Fire in its entirety, it's really weird to hear that waaahh out of the phone context.  I've almost ruined that transition for myself because I've heard that 4 seconds literally 1000s of times.  LOL

https://archive.org/details/gd85-07-01.composite.torbjorn.17350.sbeok.shnf

Here's the link to listen.  I don't recommend making it a ringtone though...

• Forum MVP

Days,

Motivated by a thread that has turned to talk of "Scarlet>Fire transition ring tones" I just cued this up. Plus  I hadn't listened to 7-1-85 in forever. But rather than the SBD source, I played the Oade Brothers Schoeps recording.

While I didn't hear your specific ring tone moment, I heard a sweet transition jam and lots of oozing Jerry.  More importantly, the Oade tape puts you deep into the zone. I highly recommend seeking out this source and playing the Scarlet>Fire as loud as you are comfortable cranking your rig.  Once you settle into the acoustic space, which is by mid-Scarlet, you'll be in deep.

• Forum MVP

HeadyVersion is a great place on opinions for GOAT'ers.

http://headyversion.com/song/315/grateful-dead/scarlet-begonias-fire-on-the-mountain/

I was still thinking about Terrapin from the other thread - and now I have to think about S/F, too?!?

Mindblown.

I will offer the not very original thoughts that I have, once again, come up with for trying to define a favorite:

1.  I can't pick just one.

2.  Different eras (which are sometimes defined by who is playing keyboards) cause me to have different selections.

3.  I sometimes change my mind lol.

So without further ado I will go with a tie between 2-5-78 and 3-22-90.  

Such different sounds, hard to believe it's the same band in a way.  Both are good to your brain, though.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one i will take to the grave (memory wise) i new that copps 90 so well that a few years later i got pulled over and part of the field sobriety test was close your eyes and tell me when you think 1 minute has expired when he said start i played that transition which I know so well in my head and at exactly 1 minute bobby's going early into fire i told the cop stop he looks at his partner and said hell no were gonna do it again, same result. That's the time the dead kept me out of jail. 

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, helpfrankslip said:

This is one i will take to the grave (memory wise) i new that copps 90 so well that a few years later i got pulled over and part of the field sobriety test was close your eyes and tell me when you think 1 minute has expired when he said start i played that transition which I know so well in my head and at exactly 1 minute bobby's going early into fire i told the cop stop he looks at his partner and said hell no were gonna do it again, same result. That's the time the dead kept me out of jail. 

This is obviously today's post of the day (POTD).  

On 7/23/2017 at 10:30 AM, DesertDead said:

This is obviously today's post of the day (POTD).  

But what i forgot to mention is when i was listening in my head so just by pure habit my feet were moving in time looking back since my eyes were closed i would like to see there expression cause they had to figure ok this is new 

• Forum MVP
On 7/23/2017 at 3:12 AM, helpfrankslip said:

Awesome. Did you dance it?  That would prove sobriety if u dropped it like its hot. I'm a twerker so the cops would prob not want to watch a minute of it. 

On 8/4/2017 at 9:18 AM, Rude said:

Awesome. Did you dance it?  That would prove sobriety if u dropped it like its hot. I'm a twerker so the cops would prob not want to watch a minute of it. 

You already know I was tapping a beat,but being nervous and trying to concentrate made the whole situation different.meaning this music does so much so having it come in handy on the spot was so gratifying,especially since these were like early20 something cops who seemed determined is what made it cool .then having to do it twice i had em it was like a secret joke they couldn't understand.

Archived