Attended Shows

sgrmag2564

• Forum MVP

It was a good year to be in the throws of it all. GDP sent me front row center tickets to the April Riverfront coliseum show. The energy in that show is palpable, give a listen to an audience of 4-8-89. The fantasy was much better than the flat Pittsburgh one earlier in the tour. the whole show is off the hook. I didn't get to the fall East coast, but made it to nye to close out the decade. 

• Forum MVP

Of the 35 or so GD shows I caught, these 4 were among the most special........

1) 4/23/83 (New Haven) - 17 yo....senior year of hs....My first show and first lysergic excursion.....mind understandably blown....I thought patchouli oil was an olfactory hallucination ("hey guys...what's that smell??")....Phil's bass bombs blew me away....those double drummers!.....Scarlett/Fire was a scorcher....double encore for dessert......I stepped firmly onto the Bus that night and never looked back.

2) 8/20/83 (Frost) - 2nd show.....crystal clear windowpane combined with perfect California weather and amazing outdoor venue made for a magical afternoon......we motored over to Oakland Stadium that night to see Simon & Garfunkel (terrific way to come down from the windowpane)......Paul Simon invoked Rock Scully during a story, then he brought his newlywed bride onto the stage...Carrie Fisher

3) 10/29/85 (Fabulous Fox) - Probably the best overall venue in which I experienced the Dead.....just incredible. The fungus was among us that night in a big way......Mickey was shaking my solar plexus during drums....I thought I may hurl but then he relented.....ah, The Wheel...so lovely......Crazy Fingers was drippy delicious

4) 10/31/85 (Carolina Coliseum) - The only time the band played my home town of Columbia. I played party planner and acquired 20 tickets, 2 suites in the Carolina Inn and a veritable cornucopia of treats that would have made Hunter S Thompson feel right at home. The show was short and not musically outstanding, but the Halloween factor made the evening spooktacular and outrageous.....Werewolves was the big surprise of the evening......the after party was epic

• Forum MVP

Only 35 shows in a 12 year period? That's hard to imagine, esp with you getting to the frost and starting in 83.  Started at Red Rocks in 83 and then it was on. Gas was cheap in the 80's so it didn't cost much to cross country. 207 dead shows and 67 JGB saturated me enough by 1995, DSO is a good experience, however, there is so many roads to ease the soul and the dead did their part teaching me the lessons. Lots of other teachers out there that broaden the depth of life's experience. Born Cross Eyed tomorrow night! Just as good, if not a notch up from DSO. Just being real folks. BCE has been at it since 1991. 

• Forum MVP
29 minutes ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Only 35 shows in a 12 year period? That's hard to imagine, esp with you getting to the frost and starting in 83.  Started at Red Rocks in 83 and then it was on. Gas was cheap in the 80's so it didn't cost much to cross country. 207 dead shows and 67 JGB saturated me enough by 1995, DSO is a good experience, however, there is so many roads to ease the soul and the dead did their part teaching me the lessons. Lots of other teachers out there that broaden the depth of life's experience. Born Cross Eyed tomorrow night! Just as good, if not a notch up from DSO. Just being real folks. BCE has been at it since 1991. 

I had same thought about *only* 35 shows if the bus stopped by for him in '83.  Reality must have gotten in the way.  All good.

Before I use the google machine to tell me, where does BCE do their business?  I think I've heard of them.  I am guessing they stay in one general part of the country? 

• Forum MVP

They're based out of Lexington; however, they are coming to Cincinnati this Saturday to play a tiny place called Stanleys, maybe 50-75 max. BCE is nice because you get to see them in a bar, whereas DSO has become a huge theater event or a $3,000 Jamaica event. It's refreshing to get down and dirty in the barroom. Acududeman, you did some quality shows, got to give you credit for that. And it sounds like you know how to set up a party! There were lots of people on tour with 700+ shows under their belt. Quality, not quantity, has it's benefits. Hunter has a lot of references about trying to stay as far away from reality as possible so as to keep his head upon his neck.

• Forum MVP
53 minutes ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

They're based out of Lexington; however, they are coming to Cincinnati this Saturday to play a tiny place called Stanleys, maybe 50-75 max. BCE is nice because you get to see them in a bar, whereas DSO has become a huge theater event or a $3,000 Jamaica event. It's refreshing to get down and dirty in the barroom. Acududeman, you did some quality shows, got to give you credit for that. And it sounds like you know how to set up a party! There were lots of people on tour with 700+ shows under their belt. Quality, not quantity, has it's benefits. Hunter has a lot of references about trying to stay as far away from reality as possible so as to keep his head upon his neck.

Yeah, I was living a pretty fully explored life in my 20's.......ashrams, grad school, beginnings of sobriety, long bicycle tours.....basically diving deep inside, reaching for the gold ring.

Also, admittedly, I never warmed up to post-Brent GD. I chose to walk away in '92 with my memories of past shows in tow.....no regrets. I didn't much enjoy watching Jerry deteriorate before my eyes.

• Forum MVP
22 hours ago, acududeman said:

10/31/85 (Carolina ColiseumI played party planner and acquired 20 tickets, 2 suites in the Carolina Inn

What, no Heart of Columbia? Haha. 

No venues really close to SC. It is 5-6 hrs from Columbia to Atlanta. 4 hours back then to Raleigh. Charlotte didn't happen until 1989. Pretty much..... Everywhere is a hike or a plane trip.  

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, PoetryGirl said:

No venues really close to SC. It is 5-6 hrs from Columbia to Atlanta. 4 hours back then to Raleigh. Charlotte didn't happen until 1989. Pretty much..... Everywhere is a hike or a plane trip.  

Heart of Columbia would have been perfect for the kitsch factor for sure :P, but the Carolina Inn was stumbling distance from the Coliseum.....I doubt it's even there any more, not sure.

• Forum MVP
13 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

I stayed in every blue light cheap hotel including Heart of Columbia for this show. Also did Richmond next 2 nights. It was the remanants of some hurricane that was around during this run. 85 was big year for me...15 GD shows

• Forum MVP
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:49 AM, PoetryGirl said:

So did you mean 7/18 or 7/19? Which was your favorite? that Dew alone 3rd night made for a fantastic show 

7/18, although all three were great. I'm still pretty sure it rained most of the 2nd set (I was on the lawn), but I could be wrong. It has been 28 years and some of those 3 day runs seem like one long show when thinking back.

• Forum MVP
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:49 AM, PoetryGirl said:

So did you mean 7/18 or 7/19? Which was your favorite? that Dew alone 3rd night made for a fantastic show 

7/18, although all three were great. I'm still pretty sure it rained most of the 2nd set (I was on the lawn), but I could be wrong. It has been 28 years and some of those 3 day runs seem like one long show when thinking back.

• Forum MVP
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, Dead duck said:

BCE are also doing the Grateville fest next week in Louisville. Small 2day event all Jerry or Dead. Cant wait. 

Where exactly in Louisville will the stages be set up? And is Saturday and Sunday or Friday and Saturday? Showtimes for BCE? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

• Forum MVP

Friday is BCE 9-12 i believe. 2sets. Its fri/sat. Will be late night camping w/music somewhere close. But main stage is Brown Foreman amphitheatre. Right on the river. Any more questions hit me up. 👍👍 

• Forum MVP

Hyryder is the Sat headliner and i have heard good things about them as well. Should be a nice little fest. This is the first year for camping. Its off site a little ways i believe, but i may have heard about a shuttle. $26 for 2 day pass and $66 for 2day pass plus camping. 

Archived