Attended Shows

sgrmag2564

I started looking up some of the shows I remember seeing and giving them a listen. So far it's the 6-20-83 as the best. The China Rider is incredible and the Sugrmag is, well, it starts a little slow, but finishes as the best I have ever seen and in the conversation as the best ever! I thought I'd shareB)

Peace,

Joe

• Forum MVP

Cool thread, Joe.

And yes, indeed, the Meriweather Post show of yours is one helluva way to open the bidding here.  

I was was already familiar with it because of the lightning strike during the WRat, but went straight to the Sugar Mag thanks to your post calling it out.  I figure a guy with a handle like yours must have some special love for a good Sugar Mag. :)

So yeah, Bobby pretty much goes bananas during the end of this one. The whole show is so raw with emotion.  This audience recording does a great job of putting you there.  The taper provides some cool commentary in his notes.

https://archive.org/details/gd1983-06-20.nak300.grabski.32795.sbefail.flac16/gd1983-06-20d3t05.flac

• Forum MVP

It just hit me for which show to add to Joe's thread as we roll into the weekend - one that everyone gets to see:  July 8, 1990.

I'm sure I did a double-take the first time I read that the first View From the Vault release would be this smoker that I was happy to have attended at Three Rivers Stadium.  Enjoy!

• Forum MVP

Love fat Jerry in the shorts. One of his good late years looks. For me it'd have to be the box of rain bust out at Hampton in 86 I believe. March maybe. Saw a bunch of Hampton shows on the 80s. This was before the Fan base knew how bad a singer PHIL was. There were bumper stickers that said "Let PHIL sing". Holy shit. That box was epic, largely due to the crowd reaction but PHIL is a natural on that tune. It fits his quirky style. This was prob in my first 5-10 shows so I wasn't familiar with the song but the the energy made me never forget that beautiful reincarnation. ❤️

three that always come to mind: Walkin the dog and Revolution in Philie.

https://archive.org/details/gd86-03-25.sbd.braverman-munder.9880.sbeok.shnf

the first of 58 Desolations and a Scarlet/Touch at an otherwise poor Tuesday show also in Phillie

https://archive.org/details/gd85-04-08.oade-schoeps.sacks.24227.sbeok.flacf

And a smoking hot second night ever at the Byrne in NJ with Stephen Stills.  A show I think never gets enough respect.   

https://archive.org/details/gd83-04-17.rolfe.weiner.7317.sbeok.shnf

• Forum MVP

Great thread topic

I've always seen two of my attended shows standing 

out above the others,  I believe song list, venue and

vibe contributed to the rank.

1.  5/6/89 Frost

My first Frost show, Race Is On, China>Rider to close set 1

Break out of the Jerry MIDI white guitar

Full, well played show at an insane venue

2.  3/27/88 Hampton

Sugar>Scarlet>Fire  super high energy show

Out of mind up front Jerry's side

A classic performance at the Spaceship

Praise DSO for keeping the flame burning

• Forum MVP

After hopping on bus and seeing 3 shows in 77, I saw 3 consecutive shows spring tour to start 78 (Hartford, Springfield, Providence)

5/11/78 Springfield Mass

Good mesculine so the band laughed alot even while singing. Great Dancin. Teased all night and finally played Werewolves as first of 2 encores.

Wound up a dicks pick...if you held a gun and I had to answer...my fav attended GD show

• Forum MVP
On 7/15/2017 at 3:06 PM, John A said:

That Three Rivers '90 has the most beautiful Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

A good one!

i loved the1990 McNichols run so very much.   12/14 has an extended solo in Knockin to close it out.  12/12 is near the top of the heap for personal musical experiences.....

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1990/12/12-3/tuning

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1990/12/13/jack-straw

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1990/12/14/tuning

wicked setlists to go along with wickedly well-played shows :)

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Tea for Texas said:

i loved the1990 McNichols run so very much. 

Check etree for the Schoeps from 12/13 and 12/14 McNichols that I just transferred from my DATs.  Would be within the last month. Good stuff.

• Forum MVP

I'll throw a few out:

6-24-85: First show, great 2nd set, got me on the bus

12-29-88: Great vibe, great mindset, great setting, great show

7-18-89: Fun in the  rain, best of the 3 Alpine shows that year IMHO

7-21-94: Not the best show, but great fun and my only birthday show

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, bs69 said:

It rained 3rd night- 7/19/89-temps dropped precipitously compared to the night before.  I was at the bottom of the hill on Phil side dancing on the concrete in about an inch or so of water. It seemed like a good idea to the host of us all to ward off slippery, unsolicited thrills. What a surprise to me! I had never been so cold in July. 

(The night before was so memorable as I remember laying in a grove of trees off to stage right near concessions listening to this sweet China Doll crystallize out of D>S and the incredible Dear Mr Fantasy/ >Hey Jude to follow: it was my 4-6th shows) 

• Forum MVP
18 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

It rained 3rd night- 7/19/89-temps dropped precipitously compared to the night before.  I was at the bottom of the hill on Phil side dancing on the concrete in about an inch or so of water. It seemed like a good idea to the host of us all to ward off slippery, unsolicited thrills. What a surprise to me! I had never been so cold in July. 

(The night before was so memorable as I remember laying in a grove of trees off to stage right near concessions listening to this sweet China Doll crystallize out of D>S and the incredible Dear Mr Fantasy/ >Hey Jude to follow: it was my 4-6th shows) 

Didn't the rain start during the show the second night? Third night was really wet. That lawn was torn up after the show. My buddy got his shoes sucked right off his feet in the mud after the show and drove back to Ohio barefoot.

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, Tea for Texas said:

There - fixed that for you

I told you I knew you looked familiar. :)

Ha, it really was like right as it ended, right?  I (vaguely) remember noticing it and thinking, "Gee, a little sprinkle would be sorta nice right now."  

Of course I was one of many walking smiles by that point, floating off the hill.  Little did we know that we would need an ark about 12 hours later.  

I had a new green/blue guat shirt keeping me *warm* on Wednesday when I woke.  I remember my hands had faint, washed out traces of blue dye on them during the first set.  Made for a show within the show within the show.

Oh, while we're at it, let's add 7/17/89 Alpine to the list of good shows attended.  Video just happens to be around for this one, too. :)  

• Forum MVP
On 7/17/2017 at 10:56 AM, bs69 said:

So did you mean 7/18 or 7/19? Which was your favorite? that Dew alone 3rd night made for a fantastic show 

• Forum MVP
23 hours ago, DesertDead said:

7-18-89:  first drop of rain that I felt was during Quinn.

I was referring to the possibility that you didn't perceive rain until after Quinn due to the pervasiveness of the music and any other personal enhancement. I'm pretty sure it rained during most of the 2nd set but my memories may be running together...

Im positive it rained the 3rd night - I don't think I've ever been colder.  It was for a good cause though

• Forum MVP

Phish last night in Dayton. Completely tripped out inside and outside the Nutter center. Don't know the names of the songs but I do know we were all taken to another universe for the day. Really good people and the band did justice. I liked the first night of Alpine 89 with the Bid Ye Goodnight. Bring on July 12, 1989!!

Archived