2017 Open Championship

Tea

• Forum MVP

Rd 1 - Good leaderboard so far.  Matt Kucher shoots 29 on the front 9 but plays even on the back for a 5-under 65.  Speith, Koepka, Casey, Schwartzl, and Poulter are right there.

Hopefully it's dramatic weekend at Royal Birkdale!

• Forum MVP

Rd 2:  Sustained winds at 25mph with higher gusts.  Even par today would be the equivalent of a 65 - rain on the way.  Gonna take a great scramble to get around.  If you don't keep the ball-flight low, you're toast.

1)   Speith         -6  65-69

2)   Kuchar        -4  65-71

3T) Poulter        -3  67-70

3T) Koepka       -3  65-72

5)   Ramsay      -2  68-70

6 golfers are at -1 including Rory.   

Speith had the most entertaining -1 I've seen in a long time.  A near-ace, an eagle, a hole-out from the bunker to save par, 3 birdies, 3 bogeys, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Bring on the weekend - I love that coverage starts in the AM!

• Forum MVP

Rd 3:  Optimal scoring conditions today.  Based on how things are going, a 63 wouldn't be that surprising.  Eagles and birdies everywhere 

EDIT:  62 by Brandon Grace -  lowest in major championship history !

• Forum MVP

RD 4:

Basically match play like last year but with a different route.  Speith wets the bed out the gate and Kuchar stays steady.  

It looks like Speith is toast on 13 after blocking a drive 100-yds right to an unplayable lie.  He takes line of sight relief and plays from the driving range and gets up-and-down for a bogey.  From there: he nearly aces and birdies 14, eagles 15, and then birdies 16 + 17 to win by 3.  

Unbelievable stuff - he just needs the PGA Championship to complete the career grand slam and has 3 majors before the age of 24.  He's got the mental fortitude to grind his way to victory or lap the field - he is very-much the real-deal.  Speith's a bit of a red-ass when he plays and his caddie takes more than his fair share of flack when things aren't going well - but you can't argue with the results.  He's probably the best bounce-back player I've seen in a generation - better than Tiger in that regard.

This is very good for golf - let's hope Johnston, Fowler, McEllroy, or Day can surface as consistent rivals and compete for majors.

This was Tea - your forum golf correspondent reporting!

• Forum MVP

Thanks IB!  I figured there might be a need to chronicle the exploits of a country-club niche-sport - especially on a grateful dead inspired forum.  The relevance of professional golf to this music is ... well it's .. it's  .. a fun pursuit?  It's all I got.   The ametuer-part of this sport does provide us with some insight into what makes this game so beloved:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Anyway - your concern for my thread-isolation is commendable and appreciated!   

• Forum MVP

I used to play a lot of golf when younger. The issue is all my friends I used to play with are cursed with kids and other entanglements. Disc golf has become easier, quicker and cheaper. I still have 3 sets of clubs gathering dust in my closet. Probably been 5 years since I played. My favorite course was in Breckinridge. At 9-10k elevation, slicing is a thing of the past and your shots carry forever.  You get something like 15% more carry at that elevation. Without as much resistance, it's hard to shape your shots. Lucky for me, my slice which later evolved into a mean hook was nonexistent there. 

• Forum MVP

I bet you could rip it Rude - I ain't sayin straight - but I'd bet you could go long.

i stopped playing when I had kids but they're both old enough now so I take 'em once a month.  They love it !  They both can putt better than their old man!

Archived