Dave's Picks Vol. 23

John A

• Forum MVP

Epic - stuff!

check out the Jack Straw in the 1st set!  My favorite St Stephen after 1971 - sick Other One.  There's a ton of meat on that bone - it's well known for the Close Encounters but there's a ton to love from start to finish

• Forum MVP

Given the releases tend to sell out in less than a day, I wonder why they can't (or won't) bump the numbers by a few thousand.  Go from 16,500 to an even 20k.  Do any not sell out reasonably fast?

• Forum MVP

Could be the "keep things rare" faction. There is no reason in this digital age for them to put any cap on it except to make sure they make money, which is ridiculous because GDP should be flush for a lifetime. Could be as sinister as a connection between EBay and production people. It kinda reminds me of when the vault reels came out after the auction in the 80's. What I heard was two people got the reels. One group was cool and set up 24 hrs taping for which we had several Nachamichi's linked to those original reels (w/dbx). This group was out of California and our Colorado connection helped us get 1st gens. Apparently the second person (group) who got the other half of the vault reels was evil and didn't want copies going out so they could be kept them rare. Maybe these Dave and Dick picks are coming from this source. It would make sense since they are capping the availability which echos the sentiment from the crazy, evil 80's source. I ended up with 35 1st gen analog, dbx metal tapes directly from Cantor's reels. None of the ones I got have been a Dave or Dick's picks. 35  X $4.00 = $140.00 and the tapes are still running through a Nak>dbx224>my living room. Wonder what Dick and Dave picks would charge for this 3,150 minutes of crystal, full range quality?

• Forum MVP

Crew, I believe your story is accurate except there was also a Beta deck copying the reels via a PCM encoder, thus making Betty digital masters. A friend lent his newly purchased PCM/Beta rig to the cause. There were 65 shows or so as I recall, so this guy suddenly had a windfall of reference digital masters and was therefore instantly very popular among even the most guarded tape traders.  Perhaps in conjunction with this the DBX Nak copies were being made, as of course there were few folks in the PCM world in the mid 80s.

The problem with those original Beta transfers is that the reels were not being played back with the Dolby A decoders that had been used to encode them. Thus the new transfers, while still sounding fantastic, didn't have any meat to the bass. Enter folks like Rob Eaton at a later date, and the digital clones were redone using the proper Dolby A and/or DBX decoding equipment.

And now we have the final frontier.  The Betty masters, restored as never before via the Plagent process, being remastered on modern digital hardware.

• Forum MVP

And honestly there are plenty of dead shows out there.  I WANT MORE JERRY RELEASES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There arent unlimited jerry boards like dead boards to listen to.  There were 600-700 Jerry and Merl shows.  Those have become my fav JGB iteration.  Jerry said something like Merl taught him more about music than anyone else.  Those shows are unique and fantastic.  There's no way you could ever learn every song they played together.  Looking at some of the setlists, I hardly recognize any song and it makes you double take if you are actually looking at a Jerry board or something mislabeled.  That Quartet was so talented(Jerry, Merl, Kahn with rotating drummers), they could and did play anything they ever wanted to.  Some people say a lot of GD sounds similar, but you cant say that about their stuff.  Yeah Ive been on a JGB kick lately lol.

• Forum MVP

In 1989, I hooked up with a friend who had the PCM Beta source from which I transferred onto VHS ending up with 10 six hour VHS soundboard tapes. Greek 1981 was one and quite a bit of the 1980 three set October shows. there was some Hendrix and Santana in this bunch. There was also some 76 GD in these. This taper connection also went on to tape every GD show in 1990, including all JGB shows.

• Forum MVP

Forgive if this is obvious or implied, but the Dave's Picks do not make their way to Apple Music.  Dick's are on there, which is obviously kickass.

The Jerry releases also make it to ITunes.  

Just wanted to add this in th context of the intention of keeping supply/demand and "rare" in play with releases.

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

This taper connection also went on to tape every GD show in 1990, including all JGB shows.

Taping every 1990 JGB Warfield show would be quite the accomplishment.  Security was on the warpath for awhile there, especially in the Spring and Summer runs.

Finally by about 1992 Chuck Vasseur had the place dialed.  He had a connection that got him in with the handicapped, so he was able to secure the center drink rail spot on a nightly basis.  And he stuffed his Neumann tube mics under his armpits, thus making detectable virtually impossible. Of course that didn't exactly help the sound out, but his recordings are more than respectable.

• Forum MVP

You're right about Warfield in February of 1990, we got caught with our D5, and ended up running a 6 with back up AKG 460's. That was only one of the three. We we're able to get the 5 with a battery converted dbx nx40 in with a false back on a back pack for the other 2 shows. To be honest, I wasn't able to keep up through the entire year. We did tape the 5 Wiltern shows in November. Couldn't pass up a five night run. Loved the Wiltern started there on Friday the 13th in March of 1987. $15.00, two set shows. $10.00 for the stone in the spring of 1987. 

• Forum MVP

I just have to jump in (and I don't very often anymore for abvious reasons) but being the person who spent years researching and ultimately finding most of the missing Betty's most of what I'm reading here is not accurate regarding the tapes, people and so on.,

back to the underground!

• Forum MVP
58 minutes ago, robeatondso said:

I just have to jump in (and I don't very often anymore for abvious reasons) but being the person who spent years researching and ultimately finding most of the missing Betty's most of what I'm reading here is not accurate regarding the tapes, people and so on.,

back to the underground!

Were all those 73 JGB partial shows your discovery?

• Forum MVP
13 hours ago, robeatondso said:

back to the underground!

Well that clears up everything!

Whatever the correct story is - thanks for the labor of love to get the Betty's unearthed and curated!

15 hours ago, robeatondso said:

back to the underground!

a little help for us clueless ones-obvious reasons?

• Forum MVP
On 7/25/2017 at 1:40 PM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

It kinda reminds me of when the vault reels came out after the auction in the 80's. What I heard was two people got the reels. One group was cool and set up 24 hrs taping for which we had several Nachamichi's linked to those original reels (w/dbx). 

Are these reels different from the storage unit that Betty had to let go and even though she told the GD people her masters were going on the auction block, they didn't show any interest? There were 3 bidders. A farmer who like the crates, stuck them in a leaky barn and had no idea what the contents were , a couple that shared the trove and someone else  that held on to them for a while until the pleading worked and finally negotiated a deal for release. 

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Are these reels different from the storage unit that Betty had to let go and even though she told the GD people her masters were going on the auction block, they didn't show any interest? There were 3 bidders. A farmer who like the crates, stuck them in a leaky barn and had no idea what the contents were , a couple that shared the trove and someone else  that held on to them for a while until the pleading worked and finally negotiated a deal for release. 

yeah, I think that's what and whom I was referring to.

Archived