Cool Jerry quote from documentary

Vic81

I Watched Long strange trip for the second time and just really enjoyed it again. I met Sam Cutler at the capitol theatre last week at jrad show which I really enjoyed. Sam is a cool dude and Took the time to have a few words with me.  As the documentary ended I listened to audio from Jerry and would like to share it and what I gathered from it. 

"I'm real happy with the Grateful Dead, I'm real happy with it......Be able to to see someway of Extending this idea beyond ourselves. I mean I wanna be feeling this idea can continue without us. It doesn't have to be THE Grateful Dead but SOMETHING. Kerouacs books opened up doors for me that put me in this life, and I would like to do that for somebody else, ya know what I mean and then it will be there for anybody who's got the spirit...go for it!" 

-Jerry Garcia

Theres always talk on these forums about all the bands that have come after the Grateful Dead. Who was good at the time, who we didn't enjoy that much. The bottom line is since Jerry left us we've always had some outlet of GD music live! The dead, the other ones, further , Phil and friends , ratdog, DSO, BCE , JRad, the fare the well group and dead and company. Just to name a few, but  This is exactly what this quote from Jerry means to me. He wanted it to continue with or without him and It looks like it will be around forever in some way, shape or form. Theres no other band that I know of that's been around this long that still has this following or this many live acts to choose from. He was saying It didn't have to be The actual GD keeping it going but anyone who had the spirit that he and the band passed on to others.

We've been blessed by Dark Star and there relentless touring and the amazing quality of music they give us show to show. There popularity is growing. Dead and company may not be everyone's cup of tea but they have packed out Lots and packed stadiums so there doing something right. So I enjoy that aspect they bring and as well as there music. I mentioned I went to  jrad last week. Two sold out shows at the capitol. From what I gathered people are starting to like this band and they are a Very interesting band. Different style of playing and jamming but nonetheless doing the music justice. I had a great time listening. That set list Born cross eyed that someone posted last week had me drooling. That show was the most packed set list of goodness and everything I could imagine fitting in one show. These are just a minuscule outlook on what's going on out there in GD world.

So As I gear up to hit the road this weekend to Hampton beach just thinking about this year so far. Hit 6 DSO shows this spring, I saw dead and co last month and jrad last week, and who knows how many this summer we'll see where it goes starting tomorow. I'm pretty damn happy on where this music is headed and how it seems to keep gaining new life. And As deadheads we're seriously lucky I must say. We have so much to choose from to go out and see, not to mention the amount of music we can buy, download, the archive, or even YouTube and Sirius radio has awesome stuff. 

Even though the ending of the documentary is terribly sad and It shows how much we lost there's gotta be some happiness to what he left us to keep forever. His passion, love , spirit, his voice and his guitar. That's what he passed on to all the bands that still keep it going. I guess he  knew what he was talking about when he wanted this to continue beyond himself and keep this alive. 

Thanks for reading, can't wait for tomorrow!

Archived