Preseason CFB Playoff picks

DesertDead

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
On 8/11/2017 at 11:29 PM, gr8fulpair said:

Glad to see the support for the University of South Carolina Gamecocks! I'm feeling pretty positive about this season too!!

I think our 'Cocks may surprise this year......apparently the QB is a hotshot......but his O-line is a question mark.

Look for some upsets in the SEC! Looking forward to it......

• Forum MVP

Bama

osu(100% lock with their schedule)

Florida st/Louisvilles QB(Louisville sucks besides him but he's insane)

No pac 12 team-they will canabalize each other like the sec but they don't have a bama. 

The big 10 will again have 3-4 top 10 polled teams based on how weak the west is. I doubt the east goes 0-6 in bowls again though. Again the sec and their brutal schedules will be given no credit by sports writers. You would think after being so wrong in their rankings that a 3 loss team who plays 7-8 ranked teams would be ahead of a 2 loss team who never beat a ranked team. But with the ap poll it's all win loss. 

• Forum MVP

Florida St vs bama 1st week. Sweet. 

Michigan will handle Florida. Florida just suspended starting rb and wr. Not sure if they have anyone left. 10 suspended. Time to look for a new coach. 

• Forum MVP

Holy shit, Bamas defense is scary as fuck. Unfortunately, Jalen hurts is still the turd he was to finish the season.  At the hint of pressure he takes off running. Francois is a far superior QB. Unfortunately he faced a defense harder than any NFL defense when comparing to any teams offense. Once bama hit him a few times, they started cheating the routes and picked him off. Besides the 1 long TD pass, hurts passes for 50 yards the rest of the game. 

Good news for bama, saban plans to play their freshman QB star, Tua tabloiva or whatever in next 2 weeks saying he wants to get him reps in case hurts gets hurt. That's nonsense. He wants Tua to win the job. Saban described Tua as very accurate and then added extremely accurate passer. Plus the kid is a for real run threat. Bama last year with a horrible QB was the best in the country but you can't throw for 100 a game and win them all.  Bamas gotta find a QB or they will be doomed to potential losses even with the best defense again in college football. 

Michogan showed they have the 2nd best defense in college and besides bama and Michigan, the rest of college is on a different level. LSU will put up a top 5 defense with their monster talent but it's not those 2.  Michigan wins the big 10. Defense wins championships. Penn state has a cupcake schedule and that may help them.  OSU better play better than vs Indiana or they lose by 3 TDs. Baker mayfield will be hard to stop. Not sure OSU has that kind of drive. After Bamas win, saban said how bad they played. The defense was just ok. Urban praised osu's performance vs Indiana. Accepting mediocrity won't take you to the next level. I predict penn state will be ranked as high as 3rd this year as they have cupcake after cupcake then will fall. Rankings reward cupcake schedules. Florida state besides losing their QB is prob the 2-3rd best team still but they had to play an immovable object and the ap will penalize them for it. 

USC looks like again they can't develop their talent. Over the past 5 years, bama OSU, LSU and USC have dominated the recruiting but only USC can do nothing with it. They barely sneak a win vs a bottom feeder. 

On the 1st series, Georgia's QB, the number 1 pick in the 2019 draft, went out with injuries. Who replaced him?  The number 1 rated freshman pro style QB lol. Kirby is doing some big league recruiting. 

Next week aiburn vs Clemson. Auburn wins this one. They have better talent plus Clemson lost their stud QB.  Sec west has 3 that could win any other conference sans a Bama. LSU and auburn again restocked with loads of 5 star athletes. LSU looks like they have a QB. They have been going 8-4 with no QB in the hardest division in football. This year I think those 3 only lose to each other. Bama 12-0, LSU 10-2, auburn 10-2. 

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, Rude said:

Holy shit, Bamas defense is scary as fuck. Unfortunately, Jalen hurts is still the turd he was to finish the season.  At the hint of pressure he takes off running. Francois is a far superior QB. Unfortunately he faced a defense harder than any NFL defense when comparing to any teams offense. Once bama hit him a few times, they started cheating the routes and picked him off. Besides the 1 long TD pass, hurts passes for 50 yards the rest of the game. 

Good news for bama, saban plans to play their freshman QB star, Tua tabloiva or whatever in next 2 weeks saying he wants to get him reps in case hurts gets hurt. That's nonsense. He wants Tua to win the job. Saban described Tua as very accurate and then added extremely accurate passer. Plus the kid is a for real run threat. Bama last year with a horrible QB was the best in the country but you can't throw for 100 a game and win them all.  Bamas gotta find a QB or they will be doomed to potential losses even with the best defense again in college football. 

Michogan showed they have the 2nd best defense in college and besides bama and Michigan, the rest of college is on a different level. LSU will put up a top 5 defense with their monster talent but it's not those 2.  Michigan wins the big 10. Defense wins championships. Penn state has a cupcake schedule and that may help them.  OSU better play better than vs Indiana or they lose by 3 TDs. Baker mayfield will be hard to stop. Not sure OSU has that kind of drive. After Bamas win, saban said how bad they played. The defense was just ok. Urban praised osu's performance vs Indiana. Accepting mediocrity won't take you to the next level. I predict penn state will be ranked as high as 3rd this year as they have cupcake after cupcake then will fall. Rankings reward cupcake schedules. Florida state besides losing their QB is prob the 2-3rd best team still but they had to play an immovable object and the ap will penalize them for it. 

USC looks like again they can't develop their talent. Over the past 5 years, bama OSU, LSU and USC have dominated the recruiting but only USC can do nothing with it. They barely sneak a win vs a bottom feeder. 

On the 1st series, Georgia's QB, the number 1 pick in the 2019 draft, went out with injuries. Who replaced him?  The number 1 rated freshman pro style QB lol. Kirby is doing some big league recruiting. 

Next week aiburn vs Clemson. Auburn wins this one. They have better talent plus Clemson lost their stud QB.  Sec west has 3 that could win any other conference sans a Bama. LSU and auburn again restocked with loads of 5 star athletes. LSU looks like they have a QB. They have been going 8-4 with no QB in the hardest division in football. This year I think those 3 only lose to each other. Bama 12-0, LSU 10-2, auburn 10-2. 

Nice post.  Love the confidence in these assertions.  Similar to a ten-team parlay:  you can't possibly be right on all of this, though.  So which parts are wrong?

I've been watching long enough to know that I'm not certain, either.  But for the fun of chatting about it, I'll take a stab.

Not sure I'd call Francois "far superior" to Hurts.  I'd pick him over Jalen, but I think Hurts is a tad underrated in general and apparently a whole lot in your world.  The Saban conspiracy thing is a little tough for me.  If he wanted the other guy, then the other guy it would be.  And if playing the freshman makes Hurts a little better then that's good, too.  All ships rise with the high tide.  No pun intended but it is awfully tidy, no?  Lol.

Don Brown is a great DC and a Michigan has some elite pieces on D (I'm looking at you, Rashan Gary), but the team they just beat is (still) a joke on O.  Good thing the B1G will really test them.  Oh, wait.  

But, I'm not down with placing UM next to Alabama for defensive prowess at this point.  Truth be told, if I saw that sort of excellence then I would rightfully say so, but I think that is a tad premature, and, frankly, may be exposing some anti-Bucknut bias if I'm keeping up with things.

Speaking of premature, as a lifelong, huge Notre Dame fan, there's nothing I love more than discussing Southern Cal's problems, but I'm not sure that developing talent is one of them.  Again, it's one game, and Western is not that bad after having been orphaned by the chief oar-rower himself (aka ND's future head coach).  The short version here is I think the world will feel a lot better about USC (the CA version for our Gamecock friends) after they beat the Tree this weekend in a game that all of their elite talent gives a shit about.  Rice is atrocious.  But that is the problem with USC in my view:  consistently motivating a bunch of 19 year-old 5 stars.

In what will be viewed as a lame attempt to quiet my aforementioned bias, ND by 10+ over the Dawgs no matter who their QB is.  Their o-line is so/so.  Ours is really good.  I'm looking forward to that one and will need a fair amount of booze to really be able to enjoy it.

I'm bullish on War Eagle this year, too.  That SEC West is always a sight to behold.

So happy to be talking college football again! :)  

• Forum MVP
On 9/3/2017 at 7:35 PM, Rude said:

I think you are misinterpreting what you saw in the Florida/ Michigan game. That was a solid defense against a horrible offense, no contest. In my opinion, Alabama and tOSU look like carbon copies of each other. Both have good defense but need to prove they can throw downfield to keep teams from stacking the box. Florida States defense exposed Alabama a bit by taking away the run. Without the turnovers and special teams gaffes, that's a different game

• Forum MVP

Alabama and OSU defenses are not carbon copies of each other. Seriously?  Florida was without 10 players and their offense sucks but Michigan swarmed. They were evil. Harvaugh makes evil defensive teams and he's starting to recruit. Put talent with a great coach like saban does and you get world beater Defense. Harvaugh will be there in 1-2 years. 

And md I hope u guys got to watch that ucla A&m game. Best I've ever seen. Up 44-10, A&m decides to rush 3 players vs the best QB in college. Then for 3 series he sits back and picks them apart. By the time a&m switchef defenses back it was too late. Plus A&m lost their QB who dominated ucla and got replaced with the worst QB I've seen play for a good team. Epic game. 2nd biggest comeback in history. I hate the prevent d.  It prevents nothing. Great game though. An all timer. 

• Forum MVP
On 8/10/2017 at 2:43 PM, Tea for Texas said:

Who the hell knows....OK - I'll bite.  Almost had yours Brad...I got:

*uckeyes

Bama

Sooners

Trojans

That looks like a pretty lame pick by me since the *uckeyes and Sooners tangle next saturday - not sure what I was thinking there.  I suppose there's a slim chance that the loser still makes it but there's also a slim chance that I hit every show on the fall tour.  

1 hour ago, Tea for Texas said:

That looks like a pretty lame pick by me since the *uckeyes and Sooners tangle next saturday - not sure what I was thinking there.  I suppose there's a slim chance that the loser still makes it but there's also a slim chance that I hit every show on the fall tour.  

if u thought they were the two best teams then by all means. somebody in championship game will have a loss - probably both teams.  it's not like they're in the same conference.  that being said I don't think Mayfield has any receivers left and I'm calling for Ok State to beat them this year

• Forum MVP

OSU takes the gas-pipe.  

What the hell happened to JT Barrett?  Not that I thought he was a Heisman candidate but he didn't even manage the game well.  OU had a great game-plan and coach Meyer just couldn't/didn't adjust.

Mayfield is the real deal.  The question now is whether he can make it through the season - pretty busted up 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, bs69 said:

My Buckeyes definitely did not look good Saturday night. Thank God it is early in the year and they have the next few weeks to get it figured out before they get into some tougher games again.

You have 2 games vs decent teams the rest of the year. All you need is to win those 2 and you are in. That being said, JT Barrett isn't a good QB and he will take another few dumps before the season is over. Bama has a turd for a QB as well but they have better defense. The funny thing is a pregame analyst had JT Barrett and Jalen hurts in his top 4 heisman candidates lol. If you look at bama they have 1 weak spot and it's QB and that weak spot is in the heisman race. Huh?  This is why the heisman is a joke. It's all about whoever is on a winning team. The QB or RB for that good team will get the nod when the defense may be what wins it. Jalen hurts sure as shit didn't beat Florida state even though think he got player of the game. The defense won that game. 

Clemsons defense was pretty evil. They returned everyone on defense and it showed. Auburn is super deep defensively with all the 4 and 5 star recruits the last several years but all the recruiting in the world doesn't create an offense. Offenses are finely tuned machines that don't need star players to thrive. Defenses are all about talent and speed. It's why Indiana has a good offense but a horrible defense. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Crazy year up to this point. Georgia looks good. Can TCU keep it up? Clemson looking like a lock if they can get by NC ST. Difficult to gauge how good Washington, Penn St., Wisconsin and Alabama are due to lack of competition at this point.

• Forum MVP
On 8/11/2017 at 11:29 PM, gr8fulpair said:

Glad to see the support for the University of South Carolina Gamecocks! I'm feeling pretty positive about this season too!!

Few times in my life I have laughed so hard.  Charleston , or way there......

You told.me.about how everyone cheers for the cocks.   Put your game cock on.  

Go...the fighting cocks.  It's ok....cause they are showing team spirit....but for a person like me who always laughed when the teacher said turn to page 69.....which by the way was their stupid fault.....or maybe trying to hit on me in 4th grade..... regardless....

I could.not go to a SC game without geeking out.

That was funny buddy....Thanks for making my insides churn with laughter!!

GO COCKS!!!

Sorry can't help It!!!

• Forum MVP

Crazy upset weekend! The path is wide open for all of these one loss teams if they run the table. Absolutely shocked that Clemson lost at Syracuse. Clemson went from best resume to suspect in one weekend with their loss coupled with losses by Louisville and Auburn 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Just showed how horribly overrated penn state was. OSU tried to give away the game every way they could. Penn state was inept. 1 ranked team all year seemed to be too much for penn state. Luckily Wisconsin plays 0 ranked teams lol. OSU will be a playoff team easily. There's no challenge at the top no matter what the AP ratings show. Winsomson barely beating the worst the country has to offer. 

Mississippi state is the most underrated team in the country. They lost to Georgia and auburn but beat everyone else by 30+. They have a scary QB. Bama won't have an easy time with them or auburn. Bama will have to beat 3 straight FPI ranked 15,9 and 5 to go undefeated. Eek. 

Archived