The conundrum

Mojo Hand

So.....I realize my viewpoint will likely be considered lame.  Oh well, this is my dilemma today.

I live 2.5 hours from Dewey Beach and am debating whether to make the ride later tonight.  Like many, I have family and work obligations that force me to choose my nights out very carefully these days.  I have two small children and all that comes with that.  It's tough to make time for myself, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I am also on a budget (I wish I had that another way).

I love DSO.  I have no issue driving a few hours, spending $200 on tickets, hotel room, and food, painfully dragging my butt to work the next day, and then running through the daddy routine tomorrow night.  A great night with DSO is fuel that keeps me going for a few months until the next one.  Grateful Dead music is an integral part of my being.  Dancing is good for me and I need to make time for it every now and again.  DSO brings me to the same places the Dead did.......and on many occasions, even further.

However, as with the Grateful Dead, there are a few different incarnations of DSO.  Will they play an original setlist?  Will they play a '69 era show? Will it be a seventies show?  Eighties or early '90's?  Each of these styles are markedly different from the other. 

It seems like it's close to a 50/50 shot these days that they will be playing an original setlist.  I am not partial to this format.  Thus far, I have seen only one original setlist and I felt it was off the mark.  Most of the original setlists I review don't seem like they would float my boat too much either.  That being said, I remain open-minded to the original setlist.

Furthermore, it if is a recreation, I know that I am not a big fan of early Dead.  I feel like they really hit their stride as a band and as songwriters in the 70's.  Many of the setlists from '69 send me to the street early.  I am aware that some would say the correct way to approach this music is with an open mind.  However, I am 45 years old and I know what I like.  I have listened to all Grateful Dead music many times over.  This is not new to me. I know I am not a fan of early era dead.  I can go into a long and drawn out discussion of why I prefer the Dead's musical style and songwriting post-60's, but that's probably not necessary for this discussion.

The point of this discussion is that between an original setlist and '69 show, there is a reasonable probability that I will be letdown tonight and lament all of the efforts and money put forth to attend the show.  The flipside is that there exists just as reasonable a probability that a transcendental, mind-blowing, face-melting, dance-fest will happen tonight.  What to do?

To each their own.  I realize that for many, the '69 show is what you are chasing,  And just as many seem to prefer the original format. 

I have a suggestion that I would like to echo which was put forth from another forum poster a few months ago.  In recognition of the fact that these are each very different flavors of "licorice", would it be so bad if the band provided at least a hidden area on the website where they pre-announce "original" or "recreation"?  And if a "recreation.....what era?  I think fans of this music and band are respectful enough to not divulge to the many who would prefer not to know.  However, my guess is that if pressed, there are many like me who would prefer to know the bare minimum of what the band is going to do. 

Is the element of complete and total surprise so integral to the experience that it would ruin it for others if they knew original, recreation, and era?  I am not suggesting to announce the actual show.  Therefore, no one would know the set-list.  The surprise still exists.  What is the detraction from setting it up in a way that makes sure that those of us who only like cherry licorice and not black, don't end up  spending valuable time and money just to get a flavor they don't like?  It seems like anything the band can do to reduce any negative experience, while not detracting from the positive experience, would be a good thing. 

I would say if you have a shot at going, might as well go. Never know when the next time is going to be. You could be surprised and enjoy an original set, or they could play something that knocks your block off. I prefer hearing them play dead sets, too, but I haven't had a bad time at an elective show. Worst case is staying home and hearing that they played exactly what you wanted. 

I know I'm going to end up going for exactly the reasons you state.

However, my point is that I could go tomorrow night or tonight.....but I can't go both.

Wouldn't it be great if the type of show were pre-announced, and then I could pick which one and ensure that that I get what I am looking for.  I guess I am asking the fans and the band......what is the harm in that?  Would anyone else like original, recreation, era pre-announced?

29 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I know I'm going to end up going for exactly the reasons you state.

However, my point is that I could go tomorrow night or tonight.....but I can't go both.

Wouldn't it be great if the type of show were pre-announced, and then I could pick which one and ensure that that I get what I am looking for.  I guess I am asking the fans and the band......what is the harm in that?  Would anyone else like original, recreation, era pre-announced?

Hmm, I think from the standpoint of the band, they could stand to sell less tickets to shows. I think some people would pick and choose what they are after, versus blindly attending every show they can to hear what they're chasing after. I prefer not to know, but I could see how others might want to. I hope they blow it out for you on whatever night you decide to go.

• Forum MVP

I'm not a fan of the band pre-announcing Original or recreation even if I didn't know exactly which show or style - that's just me.  I had a few experiences when I first started seeing DSO where I set expectations about what I wanted to see and it always left me a little disappointed.  I also kept finding that they would seem to play what I REALLY wanted either the show before or the show after - it became a bit of a cruel joke.  Once I threw in that towel on expectations, I was much happier and ended up getting what I wanted / needed right after that.  Weird, eh?   

My situation is very much like yours Mojo.  I have two kids who they were VERY young when I started seeing DSO on a regular basis - they are still young now but don't need the same things from their Dad than what they needed 9 years ago.  The balance between work / family / music can be a bit tenuous when trying to: experience the music that feeds your passion while still being the husband and father that your family needs you to be.  Having an employer who can accommodate your occasional absence cannot be understated either.

It's tough when you have a really small window and would like your experience to be right in your personal wheelhouse.  I see how having the band do what you propose would help your conundrum but I'm pretty sure it will never happen - outside of something like the spring '77 anniversary shows they paid tribute to.  The reasons are their own but I imagine ticket sales are part of it.  20 years of this got them to where they are today and while some adaptation to their creative process may help keep things fresher for them, if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

Sounds like you are solid with your convictions on this and that's cool.  As for trying to figure out which one to go to, you can take a peek at the last 10-15 shows and then roll the dice.  You may be able to pick up on a rhythm and then put your chips down on the date that you think has a better chance of containing what you would prefer.  I'm a horrible gambler so take that advice with a grain of salt. 

It's such a long, long time to be gone Mojo - my advice is to promise yourself to allow the music to take you wherever it happens to go - no matter what.  Good luck!  Have a great show - whichever one it happens to be :) 

• Forum MVP

Ok I'm gonna be an ass-take it with a grain of salt. Maybe a pinch. 

The grateful dead is improvisation. It's not about knowing what's coming next... I've gone through phases of not wanting certain songs/eras and I've always found it to be limiting. Surely you will attract what you don't want. In my case, you attract it until you learn to accept and love it. Like Life!

Good luck~

I understand what you are saying Mango.

The flipside is that the eras truly represent a different band (IMHO).  I want to chase DSO in hopes of hitting the highest of highs, but am becoming cautious because an increasingly high percentage of the performances do not represent that for me.  Therefore, I am in the "condundrum" of deciding what to do when a show is not in the backyard and time is not on my side.

So, in terms of your philosophical advice of accepting and learning to love.....try to look at it this way.

How far would you travel to see ________________________(fill-in the blank with a band of which you are not a fan)? 

And therein lies the true conundrum.  I'll go far out of my way for 75% of the band's performances, but would find myself wishing I stayed home for the other 25%.  I don't want to know what is coming next, I just would like to know if I will be seeing the band I really like.  That is why I would love era and/or original pre-announced, but totally understand why it wouldn't work for the band or many fans.

I don't consider this closed-minded or a limiting phase.  I've listened to a ton of early Dead and know what it is and enjoyed much of it.  It's just not what I am looking for.  There must be some musician or band out there who you have given a fair shot and know that you would not spend a lot of money and travel 2.5 hours to see? 

BTW....I was thinking the same as BS69.  My guess for tonight would be an early 70's, one drummer marathon. 

• Forum MVP

I'm feelin' you mojo.  Always nice to get a show in the wheelhouse

I'm partial to 80's and originals.  I have found originals to be

"formatted" like a 80's setlist which helps my energy pacing

during the show.

One drummer 70's sounds good tonite, I'm attending

Tuesday hoping for a 80's/original

I really blew it missing Saturday with the white whale

Day Tripper

In the end though, its ALL GOOD.

All hail DSO

• Forum MVP

A band of which I'm not a fan? I live in Las Vegas so I can see plenty of those right here. I stay home and enjoy my television.

The 75% - 25% question? There are those of us, myself included, who have flown cross country to take that gamble for several different bands. This calculation is not applicable to DSO in my book, because I like all their flavors of licorice.

But I take your point. The way you have posited the question regarding them would probably make my answer (if I were you) dependent upon work and child care concerns. I will assume that you have the latter covered or else I doubt you'd be going anywhere. So, if the odds of a less than delightful show and the rigors of the job the next day outweigh the potential glee and spiritual replenishment, save some money and get a good night's sleep. There will be other shows and other cost benefit analyses.

The above is courtesy of someone who doesn't travel much anymore and has been a hard core originals head hereabouts for 15 good solid years, so take it with a whole sack of Morton's.

Mojo, my brother and I are taking my parents who are 69 and 71, they never saw the Grateful Dead or any incarnation. Please go just to be there for them! 😬My dad will be parked at the rear bar sucking up the AC not knowing one song, but I am psyched he is giving it a shot at such a late stage! My mom might be up in the thick of it!

• Forum MVP

Interesting thread.

If you don't go, will you bitch about it or is it no big deal, whether it be because of your priorities and/or the fact that you've seen plenty in your lifetime already?

My instinct is to offer that if you have to ask if you should go or not, then don't go so far out of your way, literally, to do so.

It is obviously a very personal choice.  I have never analyzed going to a show or not to this level of detail.  I'm either making it happen or I'm not. 

Please se be sure to return to tell us what goes down.  Whatever you do, enjoy the ride.  :-)

• Forum MVP

I live three hours from Dewey.  Not going.  I have been. I slept in my truck first night.  Second night.  I met a cool head and slept in a RV.  Partying it up. 

Fuck the other cost.  Just ride.  It all works out when u get there.  I am not there because Glen Allen, bm. A wheelchair, about  600 bitcoins missing, and dying parents, other family who presses their need for my labor, kids who only get 450 days with their dad out of the next 10 years, but consume 1/2 earnings, my dogs who hurt, lawyers who have love only when your not in bankruptcy.

Dewey only serves big named beer.  Bud light.  No ipa.  The crowd is lame.  The sound good..   ot really.dancing on wet concrete back towards the bars.  No respect from weekenders just there to take up space. 

Blow 200....fuck off.,...I would blow 200 on a stagger Lee or a she beçlongs to me.  Or even just one of those amazing St Stephens.  The ones that get the security to ask you to stop doing high kicks, as if u know judo

Life is relative, and maybe you need someone to be relative.  Three hours 200 bucks  and drop in the bucket to flip out to the music that makes me cry.  

If I want set list....if I really wanted them....I could.  So cool I am...yeah right....what is a present, but the guess of what your getting?  

I have been disappointed in very few dso.  They make me feel so much in such little time.  I would, and have choose, my next shows solo.  No plans, no heads up to anyone. I am just going.  

I want to get back to the music.   I love my friends.  But I don't want to think of anything but me and dancing.  I am jelouse you have the option to bail out of town to go see dso.  Just charge it.   Fuck it.  Go tomorrow.  The music heals, for me it offers hope.  Hope i can be as good as I once was, or in DSO's case better.  

The majic is the mystery of the ride. The cost....worth it for some at different times.  

If I had it, I would pay for a plane ride from Vegas to Charlotte.  I wish I could.  But some grow up later than others.  I grew up, made it...lost it, but I can be as happy as Joseph was now. Selling cookies because it .eans another ride,..ride till you die.  Some here believe that.

3 hours.... tickets...bring cooler, apples, turkey, grilled cheese. Cook in the parking lot.

People who love the music....love it all!! Not because they know what is going to happen, but because of the discovery of what new happens. 

Warm regards...best of luck. L

• Forum MVP

You can say the exact same thing about any dead show.  You never knew what they were going to do.  Its not your choice what they played and its the same with DSO.  Go or dont go.  Plus how can you not like an original setlist.  Tossing in a song or 4 that the dead rarely played turns you off?  I think this is nonsense.  Ive thought several shows were originals that turned out to be recreations.  You are WAY WAY WAY overthinking this.  I suggest not going.  We would hate for you to get a show that you didn't pick.  Save the money because it seems a 70% shot you wont like the show.

I've been proposing for many years that DSO go full time, all original set lists.  What set list they play is irrelevant.  Only matters HOW they play and HOW we participate as the audience.  

Not knowing is always preferred...

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, GoingBackTo Where.... said:

People who love the music....love it all!! Not because they know what is going to happen, but because of the discovery of what new happens. 

Warm regards...best of luck. L

You said it all right there buddy. 

Archived