Rob Eaton

Mojo Hand

I guess I have DSO on the brain today.  I might as well have taken the day off.

So last night they played 11/12/71.  One thing I love about a '71 show with the Dead, and DSO in general, is that the rhythm guitar is always audible in the mix.  As always at a DSO show, I find myself completely in awe of the guitar stylings of Bob Weir.  Obviously, by extension, I am so impressed with how Rob Eaton plays those rhythm guitar parts with such proficiency, and in many ways has moved the role further.  Eaton just blows me away.

I recently did some reading on Rob Eaton.  Cool story here about his role in restoring the Betty Boards that I never knew.  http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/11/26/deadhead

I really want to give Rob Eaton props today.  Considering his activities as a taper, his efforts to restore old recordings, and his activity in DSO.......I just want to say thanks to a true steward of the music.  We all owe you such a debt of gratitude for keeping this thing alive and well.

I can envision a day some decades from now when DSO with a new line-up, or some other Dead reincarnation, is once again a major cultural and musical force.  As the musical historians study the phenomena of how it stayed alive, they will surely dub Eaton the "missing link" between the Grateful Dead and whatever the future holds for this individual and unique brand of music, which stands alone as a genre unto itself. 

I also have a question.  Not sure if anyone knows the answer.  Just curious. 

Does anyone know if Rob is just as proficient at Jerry Garcia guitar parts?  Could he play the Jerry role if pressed into service with DSO or some other Dead band? 

How did he come to take the Bobby role?  Is he specifically a Bobby guy or rhythm guitarist OR was he able to play both roles and filled the Bobby void in DSO because it was open? 

I learned to play guitar as I was getting into the Dead.  At that time, I envisioned myself as the guy who was gonna become the next Bobby.  I had a drawer full of Guatemalan shorts for authenticity purposes!  Eaton took my job. 

I love Rob Eaton's playing. Seeing him play with DSO gave me a much greater appreciation for Bob Weir's guitar playing and how much they both drive the band, and how that rhythm guitar style is responsible for such a large portion of the Grateful Dead's overall sound. He deserves a medal in my opinion for learning the style so well, because I think he is a key reason that DSO sounds as amazingly accurate as they do.

Reminds me of "Could Bobby play lead?" thread that flooded rec.music.gdead in the weeks/months after 8/9/95.  Gotta agree with Mango but let me add this.  (I'm not saying anybody here was saying this, but what I read just got me thinking, is all. Everybody be cool ;)).  It kind of bothers me when it's stated that Bobby (and in DSO's case Eaton) lays down the basis or structure or foundation or pick-your-own-word-here of a song, so that Garcia could do his thing.  In an old Guitar Player Grateful Dead special issue (1993) it was stated, and I'll have to paraphrase a little because I'm not gonna pull that magazine out of whichever bin I have it stored in, via an art metaphor that Weir "draws the outline of a song, and Garcia adds the color".  As I listened to more and more GD from that point on, year after year, I've found that at many times, it's Weir/Eaton doing the coloring with incredibly interesting lines, especially in songs like Morning Dew, China Cat, Terrapin, and, well, actually, Space.  

The reason I fell in love with GD music was that it forced me to listen to all of the pieces, which sometimes are doing very different things, all at the same time.  And in a single song I might like what Phil did here, and what Jerry did there, and the way Bobby kinda played around Brent, etc etc etc.  And obviously, because I've been seeing this band now for 18 of the 20 years, I love that DSO does the Exact Same Thing.  

• Forum MVP

Hmm.....I wish I was able to say what I feel here, but there are filters, and I choose to use one here.  

Mango knows this music, much more than I do on a academic level.  I would have to defer to him, but.... I think I get the music....the sounds.

Never saw rat dog.  Nevermind for me.  A couple Bob and Rob shows back in the day.  

And....who was Rob during those days?  Rob B?   Haha...

But honestly, Eaton kills it.   Eaton is a work in progress.   He is getting better...I think he loves skip.  I have seen them have so much fun with their sticks!!!   

But did Bob ever play lead in his own bands?  I don't know.   

I can not tell who plays what sometimes.  I swear, I watch them strum, but I can't hear what the strings are supposed to do.  

Regardless, I am coming out as a dick on this one.  Dude, look at the band members.  DSO matches up with the dead.  Eaton is a Bobby.  He is reincarnated Bobby.  I just asked a female...like right now...who was hotter...Bobby or Eaton.  She said Bobby, but she is biased.   I prefer Eaton in Daisy dukes.  

Watch how he fucks with the pedals, Eaton's moves on the stage.  I watch very little, but what I have seen, Eaton is for sure the second coming of Bobby in our religion, and his hair is much more thicker than Bobby, and his legs are definitely hotter!!  

All that pedal pressing.  Calves are ripe!!  

Why would u want Eaton as Jerry?  It's confusing to even bring it up.  DSO is like the stars alligned, and gave birth to these guys, gal, and gave us individual who somehow physically are reminescent of the original, but who can do much more than the originals could do during their life.  It makes me wonder why people who look the same are also into the same things.  

I am sure Eaton could okay what ever he wants.  Better than you and me put together.  

But....he is in s place that he needs to be...for me...for you, for us all.  

I don't think Jupiter would do well in Saturn's orbit, but I have time to kill to think about it.   Water over soft subtle skin....a night away before the big day(s), 

Should be a random post, but I question why anyone would question the arrangements, and the luck we got by getting these talented musicians together.  It's like a mulligan.  Like a huge mulligan, from space and time shit.  

I get uneasy when people question the fabric of the universe, and believe me when I state, DSO is a response to some quark spinning in a universe that still spins, and in conjunction spins with others to give us a second chance.  Can't handle questions that might cause some rift in this musical galatic reprise.   It's just to awesome to ask why,,:)!!

Completely not needed...but I got butterflies in the belly!!  Leave eaton where he is at!!!  Next thing you know, Phil will be calling Eaton to play one more round while he sings cowboy songs!!

• Advisory Board

Bobby often played lead. Jerry often played rhythm. It was easy to not "hear" Bob because it was so easy to hear Jerry. 

Listen to the Cantor soundboard from 4/8/71. Perfect stereo separation. Bobby in one speaker, Jerry in the other. Listen to the whole show but start with Chinacat for the ultimate intro lesson to Bobby playing guitar. Then listen to the whole show.

This show is phenomenal in all respects. My desert island show. And Phil is amazing. Listen to the intro to Good Love and Cumberland. This show really opened my ears to Bob and his vital place in the sound. It also shocked me at how Jerry played so respectfully with him.  Their interplay was so much more than a lead and a rythym guitar player. Pay attention to who is singing and realize that the dominant guitar behind that voice is the one not singing. I realize this is obvious, but the subtleties come alive on this recording. 

Similar is another "sleeper" show, 2/12/70. Another stereo separated recording. Another chance to study the Jerry/Bob musical relationship for any advanced deadhead so interested. Listen to Hard to Handle. You will never hear it the same way again. Bobby played a lot of lead. Jerry played a lot of fill and rythym. Phil played lead too, especially in this period. 

And as an aside, if anyone does take me up and listen to these 2 shows I would love to hear your comments. I would love more being pointed to any other shows from any era that has that kind of stereo separation where you can hear Jerry in one channel and Bob in the other. 

Dr. B

Admittedly I didn't read all of the article, just kind of skipped through it.  It made it sound like he just kinda gave the tapes a swipe with Q-tip and alcohol, there was/is a lot more to it than that.  Rob spends a lot of, tedious, hours massaging those tapes.

Rob with 1st Band: Peyote Ridge 1975:

robfall1975.jpg

in 1980 Rob went to work for Power Station recording studio (now Avatar Studios).

At that same time he began playing with “Border Legion” alongside a Bassist you may have heard of – Skip Vangelas.

Other Side Projects include:  Rocky Mountain Grateful Dead Revue and American Beauty  ?? Dates

A few of the awards and hundreds of albums and movies that Eaton is credited on include:
1984    2nd Engineer:  Madonna ‎– Like A Virgin     (Album Credits – Rob "Ace" Eaton)
1984    Engineer [Assistant:  Stevie Ray Vaughn- Couldn't Stand The Weather (Album Credits – Rob "Ace" Eaton)
1985    assistant sound engineer: Twice in a Lifetime (Movie)    
1985    Engineer: Jeff Beck ‎– Flash     
1986    Engineer [Assistant]: Steve Winwood ‎– Back In The High Life    
1988    music engineer:  Lemon Sky (Movie)    
1988    music recordist:  Apprentice to Murder (Movie)    
1989    Mixed:    Eric Clapton ‎– Journeyman;  ( Also – Gary Wright, Russ Titelman)
1989    music recordist: Turner & Hooch (Movie)    
1989    music scoring mixer:  Third Degree Burn (TV Movie)    
1994    Mixed:  Jimmy Buffett ‎– Fruitcakes     
1995    Executive-Producer [Associate], Recorded, Mixed:  Pat Metheny Group ‎– We Live Here     
1996    music recordist    A Family Thing (Movie)    
1997    Executive-Producer [Associate], Recorded, Mixed:  Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day  (Album)    
1999    music scoring mixer: A Map of the World (Movie)    
2001    sound mixer:  Pat Metheny Group: Imaginary Day -Live  (Video)
2001    Recorded, Mixed:  Pat Metheny Group- Speaking of Now - Live (Video)
2002    Grammy:  Best Contemporary Jazz Album (Pat Metheny Group - Speaking Of Now)    
2002    Staff Engineer / Background Vocals: Peter Wolf - Sleepless album    
2003    Executive-Producer [Associate], Recorded, Mixed: Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night     
2004    sound mixer:  Pat Metheny Group: The Way Up    
2005    Grammy:  Best Contemporary Jazz Album Pat Metheny Group:  The Way Up    
2015    Producer, Engineer, Recording:     Matt Reynolds  -  Been Long Gone    
2016    Technician :  Grateful Dead: Red Rocks 7/8/78 (Recovered And Restored Tapes)

If I remember correctly he has also produced albums for David Bowie and Jimmy Buffett * among others

• Forum MVP

B

Wholly wow....Dr b. You told me the same thing a year ago.  I understand better now.  tr....that's a big wow.   Thanks for that !!!!   I love history.  

Your words, both your words and facts made my morning!!!  Quality and educated stuff to explore...I give u both thanks!!

Thanks ron. I'm not quite sure some of the other responses match the question.  I don't consider lead guitar to be a greater or more skilled role than rhythm. Nor does my question imply I only pay attention to one band member, and I am definitely not looking to switch around any roles. Obviously, I am aware that Bobby has lead guitar lines and that eaton can play lead guitar.  Just curious about eaton's history.

He is such a student of the music and such a skilled guitarist. I was simply curious if he is a musician who has studied both guitar parts and can play both or whether the Bobby role is where his passion lied and that's what he did. 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Thanks ron. I'm not quite sure some of the other responses match the question.  I don't consider lead guitar to be a greater or more skilled role than rhythm. Nor does my question imply I only pay attention to one band member, and I am definitely not looking to switch around any roles. Obviously, I am aware that Bobby has lead guitar lines and that eaton can play lead guitar.  Just curious about eaton's history.

He is such a student of the music and such a skilled guitarist. I was simply curious if he is a musician who has studied both guitar parts and can play both or whether the Bobby role is where his passion lied and that's what he did. 

Why not ask him If the internet isn't giving you the answer you're looking for?

http://www.dsoforums.net/forum/profile/42013-robeatondso/

He doesn't come up for air much on here for many reasons but he may just respond and give you the 411 on this.

• Forum MVP

If we keep this thread going, will he come back? Hehehehehe

great posts from Barry n doc- thanks, guys. I have deeply enjoyed learning the diff bw Jerry n Bobby riffs by watching dso. Eaton takes KILLER solos sometimes and Jeff winds him up n let's him go and it is some really tasty Jammin!!! 

I dont know what eaton likes to play not on stage cause we've never jammed but I do know from seeing father son Orchestra a few times that his son is an amazing Jerry guy- he is one of those musical prodigies that plays Jerry chops like it's child's play and has that almost bored look while he is killing it bc he just that good at giving the hippies what we want. 

I would be more interested to know what each band member likes to play as far as genre and instrument when not on stage than if they do "each other's" parts...... 

• Forum MVP

I live the humor.  Stayed up way to late last night, but really, wow.  

I was told Eaton was self taught.  Left home at a young age and started touring.  I did not realize he is so accomplished.  

It makes a lot of sense to me now.  I can see him as a perfectionist.  

But, I really do struggle at times understand who is playing what.  

The solos, sure, easy, but there are times I watch DSO, and see their fingers move, but I can't distinguish the sounds.  

Probably why I close my eyes when dancing to the music. 

Awesome insight and references Dr. B.  TR, again, thanks for the list of accolades.  It's nice learning what I never knew before.  

Eaton does slay it.  He has turned me from hating a red rooster to looking forward to one!!

Mojo Hand.  Please forgive my response.  It is sort of smart ass, and I did not mean it to be.  Late night dribble, but I am actually one of those people who is so happy to be reunited with the music, after decades, and the level that DSO produces, it just makes me actually worry, one day I will loose it again.  

I am sure Eaton can play what ever he likes, but he is probably where he is at because it does suit him.

But honestly, does Eaton not remind you of Bobby?  Jeff not remind you of Jerry?  

Even off the stage...it can not be a coincidence.

I will note however, I have reached out to band members in the past.  They have all responded to my questions and words!! 

DSO is a community, and we are not that far from the people who make it happen. Ask Eaton, i am sure he will respond.  If you do, please share what information you get to the people here, as I would love to know the answer to your question!! 

Thanks for being interested in the music we all love!!

C some of y'all tomorrow!!

• Forum MVP

I saw Bobby play lead.  On 2-26-94 at Oakland Coliseum, Jerry broke a string toward the end of Standing On The Moon.  Parish repaired it, during the final jam, as Bobby was taking the solo. 

Novelty aside, and bless his heart, trust me - you don't want Bobby to play lead.  Certainly not with Garcia on stage.

14 minutes ago, John A said:

I saw Bobby play lead.  On 2-26-94 at Oakland Coliseum, Jerry broke a string toward the end of Standing On The Moon.  Parish repaired it, during the final jam, as Bobby was taking the solo. 

Novelty aside, and bless his heart, trust me - you don't want Bobby to play lead.  Certainly not with Garcia on stage.

......or slide guitar for that matter

• Forum MVP
15 minutes ago, John A said:

Hahaha, love it, John.  Just like Minglewood when everyone takes turns soloing and Bobby saunters out front to show his, er, mad slide skills.

Raunchy and fun?  Yes.

Proficient?  No.

• Forum MVP

I disagree, Barry. Bobby took an occasional lead- blues numbers, friend of the devil, start of hard to handle jam ,start of the China Rider jam circa 72-74. Sometimes he would play the main riff of the song- China cat, it's a man's world. 

I've got a pretty good ear; I could tell you at all times who is making what sound. I don't imagine this is true for everyone. Most of the time of Jerry was playing rhythm it was because he was singing or the keyboard player was soloing. 

It's hard to call Bobby rhythm guitar. In the grateful dead everyone is soloing in a sense- it's a conversation. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

......or slide guitar for that matter

Yeah - While it was a great show for Bobby, an all-time Ramble On Rose got marred - only if slightly.

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1978/4/24/ramble-on-rose

It became a similar effect much later when Bruce Hornsby would dust off that infernal accordion - Jeez!.  I heard him bring it out during Dark Star :o  That's like getting some Wagyu Beef, burning it, and then topping it off with some ketchup.  Ok maybe not quite THAT bad...

Everybody in DSO is and was an awesome fit.  What I mean is, even as the lineup has changed, each player has brought something new/different, and the final product hasn't diminished whatsoever. Even during the Bobby Rotisserie League era, circa 2000 (right?) each guy brought something tasty to the table. And it convoluted and crazy as it was, it too was a real good time.

• Forum MVP

I agree with Mango- and it is bc I have stood up front jaw dropped and eyes wide while trying to just close my eyes and dance but my brain will starve for the sight of how the sounds are being made and even though I have to bring a lot of "catch up" into my Dead experience at dso bc I never saw Jerry, I often devour dso sandwiches (love ketchup on sandwiches lmao) with the appetite of one who knows that these sounds are being made by people that sometimes seem to hardly notice they are playing a song Jerry played and in their musical flights of ecstasy seem to have little thought for who is "playing lead". Very filling for my eyes and though I am spending less and less time up front my ears are starting to recognize the sounds without having to look- imprinting. 

This incarnation of dso is particularly suited to my ears bc they are all so willing to play/converse musically WITH each other not AT each other. Special special special indeed!!!

i am learning how to jam with ppl on my mando and do what Jesse calls "boom chicks" to keep time instead of playing it like im a folk singer that plays alone. I thought I just wanted to sing at people but now I'm more inclined to let the words be theirs, done with mine. Fingers bleeding in New spots from playing properly w a pick. My ears are naturally tuning themselves to take in even more nuances in the sounds and textures and pick up on the tricks that help ppl sound so good even when not exerting incredible effort- after all- the whole point is that it is fucking FUN to talk w an instrument- needn't be "fancy" or "special". The point is connection. Communion with the source of the universal flows, even. Direct tapping into the line of human resonance that stretches our concepts of humanity. Years working in corporate smut peddling, years finding my path on dso tour, years meditating my madness into bliss have brought me back to the most neglected aspect of my life- my opportunity to have fun for money and work for free by playing music on street corners with my dearest friends. Glad I have a music teacher bc now I have deeper gratitude for all of you that keep the universal human vibration in tune. Thank you.

listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock me whole ;) kiss kiss (and sorry not sorry for the unicorn ramblings- y'all know me!) 

34 minutes ago, Supplicated Velvet Thunder said:

i am learning how to jam with ppl on my mando and do what Jesse calls "boom chicks" to keep time instead of playing it like im a folk singer that plays alone. 

Not sure what kind of music you are playing, but when I was playing bluegrass a lot, there was no greater pleasure than to play with a mandolin player or fiddle player with a great chop. I think it can be tough to just lay that chop in there on the upbeat, especially if you're used to strumming a busier rhythm, but it is such an important part of the band achieving the drive (if you're playing bluegrass), so listen to Jesse!

• Forum MVP

Thanks, hardpan :) he plays a ton of Tom waits and American gypsy music..... Found, you better come jam soon ;) scary is beautiful after all hehehe

turns out some of the songs I've heard traveling/touring over the years were written by him n his bands. He plays Dead if we play ones they were covering and makes me to it old timey style. Traditional-ish. Lol. Won't do FOTD. That's the only song on actual ban in our musical relationship. Hilarious. 

But really we just sit around and drive around and gather whoever is wherever we are and we all have instruments and anything goes. 

Apperently sexy ladies really like to pluck on strings if a cute couple let's em touch em..... and it's cool to learn with people from every level of experience from novice to professionals to the world class bc we all have something to contribute and the giggles are so very real and satisfying :)

I will say, Monday night I was right in front of Mr. Eaton and it gave me a new appreciation for his playing.  What an amazing two night run.  The way he adds nuances to the lead guitar and, at times, sounds like lead is amazing.  I say this as a non-musician, but man he was awesome! 

• Forum MVP

I ain't often right, but I think Rob watches Mattson playing to appropriately chord with him.  Like I said I'm usually wrong but sometimes when Jeff goes into a solo in more psychedelic jams, it seems like Rob is playing his nuanced chording based on the notes he sees Mattson play.  Jeff is making it up as he goes when the band leaves the basic song structure and that's generally when you see it, but it seems like Rob is watching Jeff's fingering and responding to it.  Rob's fingering is insane.  He's moving at light speed from weird chord to weird chord.  I'm not a big stage watcher but once in a while when the band loses the beat and goes out there I watch his playing and am awed by the dexterity of his fingers and you get these weird sounding chords sort of like when Marty mcfly starts to disappear on stage in back to the future. I mean chuck berry did learn Johnny b goode from Marty mcfly.  And yes this is my 2nd time traveling reference today. I think I need to skip game of thrones and go right to bed. 

Archived