Dear Jerry AXS tv

Vic81

For jerrys 75 bday they had a concert with sooooo many different artist. All remaining members of the Dead performed with various artists. There's a jimmy cliff reggae version of fire on the mountain which I was a little weirded out at first but I must say I was jamming out by the end, totally satisfied. The band that did BEW was awesome.  David Grismans shady grove was phenomenal. Grace potter and Weir did a beautiful FOTD...But there's so so much more. Pretty cool shit.

I'm not sure when this aired but I just recorded it the other day so if you can find it it's def worth a listen. The channel is AXS tv

I have watched parts of the Dear Jerry concert.  Last night I saw a segment where Bill Kreutzman was playing with some members of his new band, as well as a couple guests.  Sorry, I am not really up to date on the current music scene, so I don't really know who was on stage with him.  Anyhow, they played a killer Scarlet/Rider.  They did the full transition, as if going into Fire on the Mountain, and went into I Know you Rider instead.  It sounded totally natural.  Bill played a few tunes with his band first (Help/slip/frank), before changing the line-up for the Scarlet/Rider.  I haven't seen the whole concert yet, but I thought Kreutzman was the best of any of the acts.  Big energy and everything well played. 

Last night, before AXS TV played the Dear Jerry concert, they aired a 1 hour special, titled "From Anthem to Beauty".  I only caught the tail end.  The band members, Robert Hunter, and other involved parties were discussing the making of Anthem of the Sun and American Beauty albums, as well as lots of other stuff from the early days.  It was really interesting.  Looked like most of the interviews with the band were done about 15-20 years ago.  Lots of previously unseen footage, interviews, and photos from the late 60's / early 70's.  Lots of details in the interviews about specific songs straight from the songwriters.  Great stuff.  Looking forward to seeing the whole thing.  Check it out if you can.

Bobby told a cool story about how he was recording the lyrics to Sugar Magnolia, while Hunter was in an adjacent room writing the lyrics to Sunshine Daydream.  He said the first time he read the SSDD lyrics was when he recorded them and how shocked he was that he made it through clean since he is dyslexic. 

Really nice piece on Box of Rain, where Hunter and Phil both discuss the making of the song, and Phil discusses what it means to him.

Archived