Owsley stuff

Hardpan

Just found a website with a bunch of posts by Owsley. It is a low carb diet forum, with the Bear talking about his dietary habits over his lifetime. I follow a ketogenic diet, and knowing Owsley's famous meat only diet, googled "Owsley keto". Was delighted to find a huge number of posts by him on this subject, sprinkled with his opinions on many other things. Thought some folks here might be interested in taking a peek.

Here is a post he started regarding his diet, including forum replies: 

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=287013

And a list of his posts, without replies from the forum:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=287013&page=1&pp=30&goto=journalformat

• Forum MVP

I detest what he says about food. If that worked for him- great. But what he's missing is the biochemical individuality that we each posses. There is no one diet for everyone. I find his dialogue to be obnoxious and unfounded in any real scientific data. Additionally, I wouldn't want to see how our planet would be affected if we ate only meat. I appreciate Bear's contributions to all things grateful dead and LSD... But frankly I think he thought too highly of himself and his own opinions. 

I'm sticking with vegetables. You can't say 'carbs'- it's too broad a term. I agree that simple carbs- sugars, breads, pastas, etc- contribute to obesity and heart problems. Eating a vegetable stir fry does not. 

Again I repeat- everyone is unique and must find their own way. I won't tell you what's right for you (but your poop will) but I will shout back at people making grandiose claims.

Good day!

• Forum MVP

I like that you stated the truth and then felt the need to reiterate the truth. It was a truth sandwhich filled with the same arrogance and pomposity that you detest the Bears opinions for. Diets are personal. I'm with you. 

I do enjoy the almost ironic nature of this situation. It is usually those who don't diet in absolutes, that have to deal with the arrogance and pompous nature of the vegetarian. The vegan. The judgment one puts out on those that eat meat and this air of I'm simply better than you more advance more refined more sophisticated than you because of my diet. 

Truth be told. I actually find mango to be less judgmental than most when this discussion comes up but it can get real bad. I've heard vegans proclaim no one should eat meat. It's morally wrong and wrong for the body. I believe telling 90 percent of the world population to not eat meat and starve because here in the US we have the first world choice not to is immoral. I don't think even the vegan could tell that African child plump with starvation that they shouldn't eat that dog they were lucky to get their hands on. 

I love that here eating can be for pleasure or health or a little of both but I fully get that some places eating is for survival. You don't turn down food over silly notions of morality or even what your poop may look like. You bless the lord for delivering you your daily bread. 

By the way, yes I sound pompous and arrogant. I've sounded that way since I was a young child. Not sure we can teach an old dog new tricks. 

I just had a ad a sausage egg mcmuffin. I'm sure my body will tell me that was a sin. 

I agree that his stance on food and many other things are harsh, and that different things work for different people. There is plenty of scientific data that promotes eating a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet, and it works for many people, just as many people can live well on a plant based or even the typical American diet. Just a matter of what works for you (and your poop).  What I enjoyed in his forum posts was his dialogue with people on a topic he felt strongly about, completely separate from being the Grateful Dead and LSD guy, but he does come across as being harsh and self important when expressing his opinions.

• Forum MVP

I would be amazed if you yourself could not have airs of self importance if you had made the kind of lasting contribution to society people and the shape of the world that bear did. I'm not really saying it okay. He should try to temper it as the enlighten know but it is easy to get full of ego and feel self important when truth be told you haven't even got your proper due for just how important to the shape of human history the Bear was and still is.

10 minutes ago, Mason's Child said:

I would be amazed if you yourself could not have airs of self importance if you had made the kind of lasting contribution to society people and the shape of the world that bear did. I'm not really saying it okay. He should try to temper it as the enlighten know but it is easy to get full of ego and feel self important when truth be told you haven't even got your proper due for just how important to the shape of human history the Bear was and still is.

I'm not really saying 'harsh and self important' as a negative thing, just an observation on how he presents his opinions. Just something to deal with when reading his opinions, and I would assume to a much larger degree, interacting with him in real life. I think he was so confident in his opinions that he considered them irrefutable and presented them that way, without sugar coating (ha ha) them at all. Some of his stuff is like 'man he's full of himself, but at least he believes in himself'. I agree that his impact on human history has been significant, as most deadheads probably would. Kind of cool that a guy of his magnitude decided to jump on a diet forum and share his views with the community.

• Forum MVP

Don't overeat.  Problem solved.  Get a cat.  Watch it eat.  Then watch it exercise out the excess food.  If you give a cat a treat when its not hungry it will eat it then run around the house like crazy to burn the excess calories.  Be the cat!  Also only eat Mcdonalds rarely and only if in severe need of calories.  Eat protein shakes after a show.  Thats another good tip.  Buy my book, Tour Eating.  It is sure to change your life for the better.

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mason's Child said:

It was a truth sandwhich filled with the same arrogance and pomposity that you detest the Bears opinions for

Where is the arrogance and pomposity? I stated my point of biochemical individuality and then I went on to say that I like vegetables.

Does bear take into account the environmental damage it would cause for everyone to eat primarily meat (it's actually already happening and we know the impact is harmful). Did bear care about how the animals were raised? Because the only way I see it possible to provide that much meat is by unethical methods. Good luck setting aside enough land to graze cattle the proper way (cows eat grass, not corn/grain). I'm not here to tell anyone what to eat but we can at least discuss facts. Many facts are in dispute, being very problematic. We're all not so blissfully ignorant... 

• Forum MVP

like FZ stated: "flies all green and buzzing in this dungeon of despair....",

vegan since 6/9/1995, try not to preach; however, as evolved as we like to imagine we have come?

I was sitting in a traffic jam a few years back and this 18 wheeler pulled up along side of me loaded with cages of chickens. I had my window down and the cages were open air, so we got to look at each other for awhile as we sat on the freeway in a jam.

Well, in his posts I've read, Bear does approve of meat being raised with hormones, his justification being that bovine hormones would be present in the final product in nanogram levels, not enough to effect humans (in the same breath, he also mentions LSD being effective in microgram ranges, which I thought was amusing given his audience there). He prefers grass fed beef over feed lot beef, but also mentions that he lived out in cattle country in Australia, where grass fed beef was more common or affordable. He also says all meat is organic, because you can't raise an animal on chemicals like you can plants. Lol. He is a nut for sure, but that is part of the reason I enjoy reading his posts, plus I do mainly subscribe to his dietary habits, albeit in a less extreme format. He also goes into the consciousness of plants vs animals and some other stuff. 

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Where is the arrogance and pomposity? I stated my point of biochemical individuality and then I went on to say that I like vegetables.

Does bear take into account the environmental damage it would cause for everyone to eat primarily meat (it's actually already happening and we know the impact is harmful). Did bear care about how the animals were raised? Because the only way I see it possible to provide that much meat is by unethical methods. Good luck setting aside enough land to graze cattle the proper way (cows eat grass, not corn/grain). I'm not here to tell anyone what to eat but we can at least discuss facts. Many facts are in dispute, being very problematic. We're all not so blissfully ignorant... 

ignorance is bliss when it comes to my diet! couldn't resist seeing how u like my one liners. :)

This topic is amusing...

Everybody processes food differently...

Bear was a very humble man... ( my take on personal conversations with him)

Lsd would be difficult in anything other than micrograms dosing... (again personal experience from someone in the 5000 Mic club).

I don't take any drugs, well caffeine and ibuprofen but I am a fan of those that dose, ya might as well megadose... 

• Forum MVP

I find calling his opinion obnoxious to be pompous and unnecessary to your dialogue argument or your presentation of facts. 

I also find your statement after but frankly to be pompous and unnecessary to your dialogue. If the facts bear weight why attack the man not just his unfounded argument. 

I find shouting back to pompous and really hurts dialogue.

i also find a need to defend yourself to be of the ego. Say your piece and get out you know. People that scream just stating the facts come off as pompous. Let the facts stand. I really think you'd be hard pressed to find one person who really believes in carnivorous diet for humans. We know you have knowledge in this arena. Great guy to seek out wisdom from and guidance in the realm of nutrition and dietary habits. Let your facts stand. 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

Show me a grass fed bovine and I will show you a hungry cow.

Isnt that how all cows ate before mass farming?  I just bought some grass fed porterhouses a few weeks ago.  They do taste a little better I think but Im not a huge steak fan personally.  Give me seafood or lakefood please.  The issue is you need a large piece of land for grass fed beef and to mass produce for McDonalds you would need ;and the size of america for them to graze in.  I decided to look it up.  You need around 2 acres of grass to feed 1 cow.  Holy crap you would need a lot of land if all beef were grass fed.  Luckily they destroy that pesky rain forest with Anacondas that are mean creatures.  There are also really big ants there too.  Thank you for keeping us safe, beef industry.  And man you do a great job on veal.  Excellent work.  Thats some tasty meat.

• Advisory Board

Humans are a species of animal. All animals are programmed to eat whatever they eat. 

Horses and and cows are mostly herbivores. They didn't need to be taught what to eat, or read a book about it. That is what they eat. Their bodies and brains know what to eat. That is the beauty of the way they were designed. 

Cats and sharks are largely carnivores. They also didn't need any instruction manual. They naturally eat what is right for them. Again, the mysteries of evolution  at work. 

Humans are omnivores. We also need no guidance on what is our "natural" diet, as far as herbivore/carnivore or omnivore. Nature takes care of that for us. Humans, like all other animals, easily figure out how to reproduce and eat without any need for concern. That is a matter of survival for the species. It is hard wired in our brains. It has been that way since the beginning of our species. Without that hard wiring we would die off quickly.

That being said, we have reached a time when many things we consider food are not products of nature and are harmful to our bodies. That sadly is the fact in developed countries. Another sad fact is our species has become so "evolved" that many have lost the ability to understand what food actually is (and is not) and consume a lot of that dangerous stuff. Maybe our position at the top of the evolutionary totem pole has left us lacking the basic food survival skills that even our most "primitive" ancestors had. Maybe that's the way it is supposed to be. Maybe that's part of the big picture. Maybe it is a harbinger of the next phase of the evolution of our species. 

Our ability to think and choose what to eat, how and when to reproduce, how to treat others (humans and other species), and our planet in general is a function of our well developed cerebral cortex. Other animals don't have the capacity to consider these questions. We do. But to make the argument that we are supposed to be one way or the other denies nature. 

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP
On August 31, 2017 at 5:43 PM, Rude said:

Isnt that how all cows ate before mass farming?  I just bought some grass fed porterhouses a few weeks ago.  They do taste a little better I think but Im not a huge steak fan personally.  Give me seafood or lakefood please.  The issue is you need a large piece of land for grass fed beef and to mass produce for McDonalds you would need ;and the size of america for them to graze in.  I decided to look it up.  You need around 2 acres of grass to feed 1 cow.  Holy crap you would need a lot of land if all beef were grass fed.  Luckily they destroy that pesky rain forest with Anacondas that are mean creatures.  There are also really big ants there too.  Thank you for keeping us safe, beef industry.  And man you do a great job on veal.  Excellent work.  Thats some tasty meat.

As long as you are doing the research check out how much the average cow urinates a day and multiply it by the number of cows in your particular state. If you were anything but a farmer these millions of gallons/day would qualify as unregulated surface discharge and subject to all sorts of fines and penalties. I won't even get into the flatulance vs climate change debate. 

Steak and burgers are one thing. Then there's the milk. Humans are the only mammals (i.e. mammary glands so all begin with mothers milk) whom once weaned still drink milk...from another species no less! Seems like a bad ideas. 

So then, other than a few belts and shoes and perhaps a tounge to hang in the deli window what are cows good for anyway.

• Forum MVP
23 minutes ago, Mason's Child said:

Rude had a great book idea inspired by this dialogue. Diets of the Road. How to maintain or even thrive while searching for the sound

I am more than intrigued by this concept....Diets of the Road....but am thinking bigger.

There are many reasons to be on the road not involving producing or searching the sound. My big show totals (to most layman at least) of attended GD and DSO shows were in large part made possible by need of my employer to be on the road. Being able to craft many intersections of my need to be in a certain city and coincidentally (wink wink) players of my favorite sounds happening to be performing in same town were often.

My diet was more expensive back then if not healthy as if my employer was paying it wasn't $1.00 grilled cheese or hummus.

• Forum MVP
On 9/2/2017 at 2:55 PM, Mason's Child said:

Rude had a great book idea inspired by this dialogue. Diets of the Road. How to maintain or even thrive while searching for the sound

It would be in the weight loss section.

"Lose 10 pounds in 7 days dancing to the oldies, Dead edition".  My lawyers and editors told me the lose 14 pounds in 7 day method would lead to possible deaths in amateurs so we toned it down a little. 

Archived