Dead & Co. - Fall Tour 2017

DesertDead

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
On 9/16/2017 at 6:00 AM, ducats said:

for me the Lake Placid TLMD is the one

I gave that a fresh listen last night.  Without a doubt, it's in the conversation.  Just beautiful.  The problem is competing with Garcia's mindboggling outburst at the end of the 9-18-90 version. If you were to stop me on the street and say "I want you to laaaaay me down"  I'd go right to 9-18 and instantly have goosebumps. But once you let those 30 or so seconds of 9-18 slip from your consciousness (IF that is indeed possible), Lake Placid is left with an enormous trump card - Brent.  Contrasting Brent's gorgeous colorations with the dreadful noises coming out of Vince's keyboards at MSG '90 levels the playing field in a hurry. 

BTW, if anyone hasn't heard Tom Darian's B&K 4011 recordings of the MSG '90 run that needs to be rectified ASAP.   There are only a small subset of audience tapes that render boards useless and these are some of them.

Anybody else have another favorite Lay Me Down?

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

So my 13 year old daughter says- "hey a Grateful Dead cover band is coming to Charlotte in Nov. "

"you mean, Dead and Co?"

"yeah"

i thought you all would get a kick kick out of that. 

Yeah, that's pure gold!  Here's a excerpt from a recent exchange with my 8YO:

"Dad - are the grateful dead still alive?"

"Most members are, yes"

"They must be really old.  Are they super scary?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, they like death.  Maybe that's why mom doesn't like them - she says the same thing about the Walking Dead.  You should be the Grateful Dead for halloween - that would be so scary and cool!"

From the mouths of babes....

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, John A said:

I gave that a fresh listen last night.  Without a doubt, it's in the conversation.  Just beautiful.  The problem is competing with Garcia's mindboggling outburst at the end of the 9-18-90 version. If you were to stop me on the street and say "I want you to laaaaay me down"  I'd go right to 9-18 and instantly have goosebumps. But once you let those 30 or so seconds of 9-18 slip from your consciousness (IF that is indeed possible), Lake Placid is left with an enormous trump card - Brent.  Contrasting Brent's gorgeous colorations with the dreadful noises coming out of Vince's keyboards at MSG '90 levels the playing field in a hurry. 

BTW, if anyone hasn't heard Tom Darian's B&K 4011 recordings of the MSG '90 run that needs to be rectified ASAP.   There are only a small subset of audience tapes that render boards useless and these are some of them.

Great post, John.

In the same breath I will add that sometimes I find Jerry's (over) emoting to be anything but natural, and the MSG 1990 To Lay Me Down is among them.  Sorta hard to explain because it's really good stuff, but it still just seems predictable and kind of forced in a way to me.

But I'm with you:  I'd rather have Brent participating IN the To Lay Me Down than have it be ABOUT him.

Boy, was he a massive loss to me. 

• Advisory Board
10 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

Great post, John.

In the same breath I will add that sometimes I find Jerry's (over) emoting to be anything but natural, and the MSG 1990 To Lay Me Down is among them.  Sorta hard to explain because it's really good stuff, but it still just seems predictable and kind of forced in a way to me.

But I'm with you:  I'd rather have Brent participating IN the To Lay Me Down than have it be ABOUT him.

Boy, was he a massive loss to me. 

I had a similar reaction to Jerry at the end of 9/18/90 TLMD. It didn't sound good to my ear. It was special and it was intense for sure. As John said it was an "outburst" but when it comes to Garcia being the absolute master of emotion through voice and instrument this specimen was one of the rare vocals that made me cringe. I've cringed similarly at the end of So Many Roads on rare occasions. 

I am as big a Jerry fanatic as anyone. But while the idea was great, the execution was a bit...painful?

And I agree that the Lake Placid version was really great!

Dr. B:(

20 hours ago, John A said:

Those 1980 acoustic versions are beautiful and, in my opinion, the quintessential versions of the song.  However, to my ear, they all sound very similar to one another.

I personally really enjoy the 12/27/81 version sandwiched (not segued) between a nuclear Samson and a sprightly Playing in the Band.  If anyone decides to check it out, I'd highly recommend listening to the whole sandwich.

• Advisory Board

The funny thing is that in my recollection from that time, the acoustic sets from the Warfield and Radio City were viewed in a mixed way...

On the one hand those shows drew incredible enthusiasm and demand. 3 sets, smaller venues, long runs, acoustic set. Deadheads were excited and it was a very big deal. 

But, as a young Deadhead (16) my circle of friends really didn't have the historical perspective of what was going on. How it related to the acoustic sets of 1970. Remember that was a time of cassette tapes. The tapes were limited. Great recordings were hoarded and not openly shared by many. The ability to study and understand the whole Grateful Dead "thing" was far more limited to your circle of friends, geography and access to tapes. 

And after the fact when when tapes of these shows became available the acoustic tapes were not nearly as desirable as the electric tapes. And the Reckoning album was not met with great excitement either.

Maybe these experiences and impressions were due to my age and friends and I'm sure that more mature deadheads likely felt differently and rightfully so. I was in a serious dead community in NYC where the Grateful Dead core was strong and vibrant. Looking back it's hard to believe how views have shifted, especially my own. We were spoiled then. We had no idea what we had. 

Dr. BB)

• Forum MVP

NYC and New Jersey still have a very vibrant dead scene. Some of the most serious solid and well intentioned heads. Those I call family. Those that know my story and I know theirs live in that part of the country. I love those people with all my heart.

24 minutes ago, Dr. Barry said:

But, as a young Deadhead (16) my circle of friends really didn't have the historical perspective of what was going on. How it related to the acoustic sets of 1970. Remember that was a time of cassette tapes. The tapes were limited. Great recordings were hoarded and not openly shared by many. The ability to study and understand the whole Grateful Dead "thing" was far more limited to your circle of friends, geography and access to tapes. 

To really get into the Grateful Dead, even for Deadheads in the 90's, you kinda had to put forth some real effort.  And know "a guy" or two.  Finding tapes was not particularly easy.  Especially soundboard recordings.  If you had a soundboard tape connection back then, forget about it, you were the man.   I never would have guessed in a million years that I'd have access to ALL of them!!!  I definitely take for granted today how easily accessible it all is.

Who remembers sitting by the stereo in front of the tape deck during the Grateful Dead Hour pausing and recording during commercials?  Always hated when a promo would play during the music!  WTF David Gans?  (he was the host of that right?)

• Forum MVP

As I listened to the Grateful Dead channel in my car the other day thinking about which Dick's Picks I would stream through my car's "Media" option, I got a chuckle about Grateful Dead Hour.  It was on WXRT in Chicago.  Yes, David Gans was the host.  It was obviously fantastic but, boy, have things changed.

I am so glad that Al Gore invented the Internet.  

I remember when we had to wait for Relix to come out to get setlists!  And then use a landline to call your friends, lol.  Uphill, in the snow...both ways. :)  

• Forum MVP
14 hours ago, Tea for Texas said:

You guys are crazy....Predictably cringe-worthy?  Maybe he was just taking a cue from Bobby.

No kidding.  First I've heard that conclusion of 9-18-90 TLMD discussed in the pejorative.  To this set of ears it's an unscripted slice of paradise. 

Archived